Laziness

How bad of a sin is it to be lazy like as in to let your apartment get dirty and not clean it enough? Is it a grave sin? I am not asking this in reference to myself because I know that I am scrupulous and I know that my mental illness diminishes my capacity for sin but I am just asking this as a general question. Thanks in advance for your answers.

If you are having trouble with your housework to the point where you can’t invite guests over, hire a maid - it is not as expensive as you might expect, and these girls love to do housework - it is well worth it for the peace of mind. :slight_smile:

When dealing with scruples, my confessor advised: “Ask yourself, what would a normal person think?” :slight_smile:

I think it’s safe to say ‘a normal person’ who doesn’t fight with scruples would say no, it is not a grave sin to have a messy apartment. In fact, I have noticed that these scruples can be binding. If I think everything is a mortal sin it is somewhat paralyzing and just makes the sin worse. For example, if I think it is a mortal sin to eat too much, I instantly seek comfort by…eating too much. Not much logic there, but I’m trying to be honest. :slight_smile:

I don’t know how grave a sin it may be. A little laziness can accumulate after a long time to a big mess.

I struggle with sloth, too, in both the spiritual and physical worlds. I also suffer from depression which impacts my ability to keep up with necessary tasks. My apartment is constantly messy and I often confess the **venial **sin of neglecting my housework.

A person who has gotten in over his or her head needs to have the humility to ask for help from friends, family, or professionals.

The gravity of sloth depends on how important is the duty you neglect because of it. For example, under normal circumstances I would assume that not cleaning one’s home would be very much a venial sin, while not taking care of a very sick child who is in your care could be a mortal sin.

If having a messy house were a sin, I’ve got a one-way ticket to the pit! Seriously, yes, some messes are a result of laziness, but sometimes one’s messy home is a reflection of one’s mental state. Depression often manifests itself as a lack of concern for one’s surroundings. My first therapist called it my “depressed mess”! :slight_smile:

Well, my apartment is very messy but I have been so depressed lately that I just haven’t felt like cleaning it. I am afraid I might be in a state of mortal sin because of this. It is very much a habitual sin of mine too. The depression leads to me just not caring much about my surroundings and so I don’t take care of it much. Unfortunately I could get in trouble with my landlord for letting it be this messy.

I think I am just going to clean it up tomorrow. I really need to do it.

If it is too much for you, call a maid service - really, those girls are life-savers. :slight_smile:

Sloth is indeed a mortal sin, but despite popular misconception it is a refusal to participate in the joy of the Lord, not laziness. As long ad your messy house doesn’t endanger your health or the health of another, or interfere with your state in life, it’s not a sin.

I would but I am living paycheck to paycheck as it is. I don’t have a job. I am disabled and am on SSI. Many people on the forums already know this but I don’t know if you know this or not. Anyway, that’s my only income. There is no way I could afford a maid. However, I do think that there is some kind of service you can get which is subsidized or something where you can have someone come and clean for you. Its a service for disabled people. I am capable of cleaning but it is rather difficult for me as it sometimes causes me a lot of pain.

I am not saying that the mess is bad enough to endanger anyone’s health or my state in life but what if it was that bad? Would it then be a sin? If so, would it be a mortal sin or a venial sin?

Since you don’t have a job I don’t see how it even could interfere with your state in life. If it gravely endangered the health of yourself or of another then it would be gravely sinful, if it endangered the health of yourself or of another, but not gravely, then it would be venally sinful.

Oh okay. Thank you.

I think the gravity of laziness as a sin is case-by-case. My confessor told me it is a sin in my case because my laziness affects my husband in many ways. I am neither depressed nor disabled and I don’t have any responsibilities outside the home other than my service to the parish (which does take up as much time as a heavy part-time job, but that’s not an excuse) so there’s no reason I can’t keep a clean home. However, I can’t actually think of a realistic scenario in which laziness would be a mortal sin. I suppose if my home were so messy that it puts someone’s life in danger, I knew that and I still refused to clean it up, perhaps that could be considered mortal…?

YMMV.

Yeah I can see what you mean. Thank you for explaining this. I really appreciate it.

Having a messy house is definitely a mortal sin.

So is spending too much time in CAF.

Sorry…:o

Couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:

All previous replies are good.

Are you serious or are you joking? I think you’re joking but I’m not sure. :shrug::confused:

Just trying to have a bit of a harmless laugh with you.

That’s why I added “All previous replies are good”. :slight_smile:

Oh okay. That’s what I thought but wasn’t 100% sure and I like to be 100% sure. :p:o

If spending too much time in CAF were a mortal sin, then I think that I would have tipped over the edge into the “unforgivable sin” region. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry Holly, many of us (well, at least myself) can relate to your question, and also to the idea that we might be spending too much time in CAF. But, but,… while it is worth confessing as a venial sin, it would only be mortal in the most unusual circumstances. (as explained by others in the thread).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.