LDS a cult? 350,000 DVDs try to shake Mormons' faith

An interesting news story from the Salt Lake Tribune:

sltrib.com/ci_5537465

Some anti-Mormon group in Salt Lake City made a slick anti-Mormon DVD and placed it on the doors of citizens in Salt Lake. There were 350,000 of these DVD’s.

There are some interesting comments regarding Mormon outreach.

I’m not real supportive of this particular effort. I just don’t see it having positive results. If those are like most evangelical groups (godmakers) it’s going to be so flawed that it will have no credibility.

I liked what they said about a lot of the things that were brought up in the DVD (apparently someone actually watched it) have already been asked and answered and that it’s all available for anyone to look up.

Also I like that they mentioned that this type of effort is usually ineffective and that

“we have to find common ground and recognize the positive in each side. We have to demonstrate compassion.”

It makes me wonder what their motivation was. Is it an honest (maybe misguided) attempt to claim the lost sheep or a “John the Baptist denouncing the Pharisees” fantasy? I guess they are well within their rights either way but there’s that old honey and vinegar thing to worry about.

That is a good point, if significant portions are weak/flawed it will not only be a turn off now, but it will cause LDS to never trust in the future. Whats worse is that if the tapes go on to preach a faith alone gospel or something, that will give LDS the wrong impression about what Christianity, especially Catholicism have to teach.

Also I would like to see the movie to see for myself.

Majick275, I frankly think you’re the most effective LDS critic here. It’s not just that you’re a indefatiguable debater although that does seem to be true. It’s that you come up with things that most other critics fail to grasp the significance of. Even the former LDS who should understand it better.

You’re the only one who I’ve seen (okay, maybe not the only one ever though) who pointed out that most of the uniquely LDS doctrine is not in the BofM but in the D&C. Although I’m not impressed by the JoD references everyone likes to pull out, you do know them. You know your stuff and I never have seen you answer a question unfairly . That certainly adds to your credibility.

It’s always your wife who knows all your faults just because she knows you so well. Likewise I have always thought a really effective critic would necessarily be some one who either is or had been a long time member. Well, my wife still loves me anyway.

thank you very much. I tried very hard to be a good LDS. I was a counselor in the bishopric and a veil worker when I turned in my resignation letter and walked away. I know the parts of the LDS church that aren’t true and I know the false accusations that are made against the LDS as well. If we show the truth then I believe that those who are willing to look shall know and become free.

Here is the mormon apologetic response to the video. I think that some will find it interesting.

en.fairmormon.org/index.php/Search_for_the_Truth_DVD

If you know the parts of the faith that are not true you should head over to the mormon apologetic site and declare them. We would love to hear them. Please go to: www.mormonapologetics.com and engage in the discussion. Just click on the Dialogue and Discussion forum. Look forward to hearing from you over there. :slight_smile:

It would be great to hear from a former counselor in the bishopric and a veil worker.

I tracked down the webpage that has the original movie:
goodnewsforlds.org/
I want to see both the original movie and the response as soon as I find the time.

I’ll watch this later, but whenever I hear about stuff like this, I get the mental picture of a couple of the small sects duking in out over converts. Much ado about nothing, really.

Most likely the DVD is badly flawed and coming from a direction of some quasi-Christian theology that is just as messed up as the Mormons they’re trying to persuade.

well that 's where I have an issue. I stay here on CAtholic Answers and only respond to mormons who choose to come here seeking…Catholic Answers. I feel that it would be an unwarranted intrusion on my part and extremely disrespectful for me to go to an LDS site and tell them they are wrong. That may sound like strange ethics to you but it’s what I believe. I try my best to explain the truth to those who are seeking it. I define that by their coming here. If a mormon (or any other person) comes here then I think that qualifies as them choosing to hear what i and other Catholics have to say. I understand and accept that they are still free to disagree with I have to say.

I apply the same reasoning in reverse and believe that those who choose to go to LDS sites are expressing a desire to hear what the LDS folks there have to say. I do not seek LDS answers. If I went there it would only be to promote my own beliefs. i see that as little different than handing out anti-mormon pamphlets in front of a temple or general conference. (and yes I think that’s wrong to do)

I will not put anti-mormon DVD’s on anyone doorsteps nor will i seek out LDS to “bash”. I will stay here in the Catholic forum and speak to those who come looking.

For whatever reason, the Mormon church does tend to collect a fair amount of badly disgruntled former members. When I left the Catholic church to become LDS, I never had any hard feelings towards Catholics. Just the opposite, I felt as though they did me a great service and I did and still do admire them for their many good works. And the Pope is one of the few compassionate, righteous voices left in the world today.

There’s two reasons that I am thinking of that would make people so disgruntled. One is that their conscience really bothers them and it drives them to destroy. The other is that they feel betrayed after giving so much. But maybe it’s just as Allweather says?

I received one of these DVDs last weekend, hung on my front doorknob in a blue bag.
I have not watched it yet. Maybe this weekend.
I don’t know why the distributer targeted Chandler when the density of mormons is in Gilbert.

i would have thought Mesa

interesting and I tend to agree with you. I don’t have a problem with mormons and I have no interest in “going after them” in any anti-mormon forums, ministries, etc. I do have problems with the pushy ones that come after Catholics and I get a bit testy here sometimes with that. I do have a sincere desire to spread the Catholic faith and especially to mormons since I feel an affinity to them. Those who question and are ready to look at the catholic church are the ones i feel called to interact with. It’s simply that I really believe that they are being deceived and that I have the truth. Christ told peter “when thou art converted go and strengthen thy brethren”. That’s what i’m trying to do. It’s like I was drowning and i manged to paddle up to a boat where someone helped me out of the water. I could sit and huddle in my blanket thankful for my rescue OR I could turnaround and help others out of the water too.

originally posted by majick275
i would have thought Mesa

No. There is a mormon temple in Mesa but Mesa is now better known as “gangland” rather than "mormonland"
Both my older grandkids graduated from Highland High in Gilbert. The school is fully 85% mormon.
That’s why everyone wants to move there now. Gilbert is clean and safe.

I’m sorry to hear that. I always thought Mesa a beautiful area. I used to have intel as a client and I worked at the chandler facility when i would go there. I usually stayed in mesa then. that was about 11 years ago. I prefer not to live that close to mountains or that far from the ocean but if i had to… I always thought the phoenix area nice.

Mesa is a beautiful city. I’ve invited my Mormon friends to St. Tim’s to witness the Lifeteen Mass. Something great to talk about. I’ve always felt that constructive dialog is best. There are those Mormons who are Born in the Covenant and will not listen or contribute to conversation regarding faith and there are others who do. Respecting another’s faith and growing stronger in your own. Talk about building a strong “testimony” by reaching out to our non-Catholic brothers and sisters, demonstrating by our actions how inclusive our community is. We don’t have to resort to guerrilla tactics to “bash” another’s faith. As we begin Holy Week I am forever thankful for the Passion and the Ressurection. Have a great Easter.

non-Catholic: Saved when I found Jesus
Catholic: Saved when Jesus finds me

Mesa is a beautiful city. I’ve invited my Mormon friends to St. Tim’s to witness the Lifeteen Mass. Something great to talk about. I’ve always felt that constructive dialog is best. There are those Mormons who are Born in the Covenant and will not listen or contribute to conversation regarding faith and there are others who do. Respecting another’s faith and growing stronger in your own. Talk about building a strong “testimony” by reaching out to our non-Catholic brothers and sisters, demonstrating by our actions how inclusive our community is. We don’t have to resort to guerrilla tactics to “bash” another’s faith. As we begin Holy Week I am forever thankful for the Passion and the Ressurection. Have a great Easter.

non-Catholic: Saved when I found Jesus
Catholic: Saved when Jesus finds me

Yikes! Oooopsie! What was I thinking???!! Sorry :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.