LDS confession

Hi, I read the previous threads on confession to the bishop in the LDS church. I am intrigued by it since the Sacrament of Reconciliation is so healing and powerful in my life. I came across something online which talked about the “disciplinary action” they do. This online sermon said that some BYU students had said they were afraid to confess their sins because they were afraid they’d have to leave the university. (I’d provide a link but I can’t find it, sorry) The sermon said that the students should confess because doing the “cleansing process” was more important than staying at the university. I was really floored by this, I can’t imagine why they would think that it is “cleansing” to get kicked out. And this disciplinary action thing, why would the sin not be forgiven as soon as they see the bishop? Why do they have to go through this? I’m glad I don’t have to. It seems as if it would really scare people away.

Wow! And I thought having to say a whole decade was rough!!!

BYU has an “honor code”. Any infraction of the code and BYU expels the student.

Forgiveness in the Mormon church is not really forgiveness. It is not a sacrament, and only severe sins, what we would clasify as mortal (a term Mormons do not know or use). Disciplinary action is taken, ie, confessions of sexual sins usually involved disfellowshipment or excommunication.

Besides what you point out here, the Mormon church teaches that if you repeat a sin that has been confessed, it is as if you never confessed it at all. They teach that God remembers every sin, including the confessed ones. So if/when you repeat a confessed sin, God will punish a person for that sin, as well as the previous sin(s) that have been confessed and “forgiven”.

The oft-told metaphor to teens is is specific to sexual sins is that a teen who is a virgin, they are like a new piece of wood (the teacher will have a piece of 2X4 or something similar). Sexual sin is like hammering a nail into the wood. Forgiveness is removing the nail, but notice that the once perfect board now has a permanent, non-reparable hole in it. A repeated sexual sin is another nail in the board. God sees not only that nail (sin) but the hole in the board from the previous nail (previous sin).

BYU sees the nails and expels you. Not for just sexual sins, but anything that is against the honor code (all described in the link I gave). Mormons defend this by saying the students know this going in, and if they can’t keep to the code (argh) they know the consequences.

My niece was at BYU for two weeks. One of the honor codes is that men and women can’t be together in living quarters, including of-campus locations. She was hanging with a group of students, mixed male and female, someone told the BYU honor code dept (or whatever they are) and the whole group was expelled. (Students are encouraged to report any honor code infractions that they witnesss.)

Yes, Mormonism is very much a religion of works, so their “reconciliatin,” like all their “ordinances” has very little in common with the Holy Mysteries/Sacraments on which they are based/imitate.

The OP p;robably does not have it entirely right. The sins confessed to the bishop or to a local church authority stays with that bishop and church authority. It is not reported to BYU if the person is a student there. Now if a student is caught breaking the rules of the university by the university authorities that is a different matter.

Like the catholic faith, the lds have confession but it is for very serious sins. And yes, a person can face excommunication or disfellowshipment (This does not mean that members will no longer talk to you). Small sins are between the sinner and god. However, these days not many are excommunicated. But if a person has had a high responsibility in the lds church, then they may face excommunication.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.