LDS garment origin

When did the custom of wearing them begin? I know I had other questions, but life interrupted this post.

1840’s ish

What I’m wondering is how wearing these garments became tradition.

I know that the traditional garments of orthodox Judaism (like the tallit) come from biblical passages, but where did the Mormon traditional garments and their odd markings originate?

Short answer: direct import from Freemasonry. Many if not most/all of the LDS leadership were Freemasons by 1844.

Tuesday, [March] 15. — I officiated as grand chaplain at the installation of the Nauvoo Lodge of Free Masons, at the Grove near the Temple. Grand Master Jonas, of Columbus, being present, a large number of people assembled on the occasion. The day was exceedingly fine; all things were done in order, and universal satisfaction was manifested. In the evening I received the first degree in Freemasonry in the Nauvoo Lodge, assembled in my general business office. History of the Church (Joseph Smith)|History of the Church, by Joseph Smith, Deseret Book, 1978, Vol.4, Ch.32, p.550-1)

The answer LDS apologists will give tends toward this: Freemasonry, like Christianity, contained some truths, but corrupted through an admixture of error; Joseph Smith or others received revelation from God to restore the necessary Temple rites.

The odd markings come from Masonry. They arose during the Nauvoo period.
i4m.com/think/temples/mormon-garments.htm

During the early years of Mormonism, they were overtly anti-Masonic, although most male members of the Smith family belonged to the Masons. Joseph couldn’t join because of his poor reputation. Once Joseph was let in at Nauvoo, they imported Masonry wholesale.

My understanding is that the style has evolved over the years, but I don’t know how or when it started.

i4m.com/think/temples/mormon-garments.htm

They came about during the Nauvoo time of Mormon history. Men close to Smith swore secrecy to his doctrine of plural marriage, and the modified (with secret signs) longjohns were a part of this secret ceremony.

It was considered only a garment for men, until Young introduced this secret ceremony of Smith’s, as the Temple endowment. It was then still tied to the practice of plural marriage. Women at that time in history were issued the same men’s style of modified longjohns.

Here are a couple of links from LDS sources about LDS temple garments. I hope this helps…

youtube.com/watch?v=SkTz_NQqKA8

mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-garments

Neither of those links address the question from the OP. Are you proslytizing?

Rebecca thinks she is a mod. :rotfl:

She obviously isn’t proselytizing, she just wants “official” information concerning the garment to be available if the garment is to be discussed. I promise, no one ever joined the LDS church because they though, “whow, cool underwear!”

Rebecca’s first answer was actually perfectly accurate, at least as I understand it. The symbols are masonic, and Mormons believe the clothes themselves are representative of the garment given to Adam and Eve in the garden after they “transgressed”. Some Mormons will liken the LDS garment to old Jewish circumcision.

I wear them now, and will probably wear them out and move to standard Hanes white shirts and some form of underwear. They don’t mean to me anymore what they mean to faithful Mormons, but no need to waste them. =) Plus I am trying to take the transition out of Mormonism slowly with the wife. RCIA starts next Tuesday! =)

No, Rebecca doesn’t think she’s a mod. Just asking a question. When I think Mormons are proselytizing I REPORT the post. Of course, no one answers to me. :stuck_out_tongue: or to you.

We had a half Mormon half Catholic here for a while, who bragged about wearing garments while he received communion.:mad:

I have like 50 posts, dont no one answer to me. :slight_smile:

I will certainly wear out my stuff before Easter, but honestly, I don’t see a problem with wearing them and receiving communion, as long as they are just underwear to you, and nothing more. I certainly wouldn’t brag about it. They are just underwear to me, and nothing more.

Looking at the pictures, they are way more than underwear.

Why wear them if you are no longer a Mormon?

I am not sure what pictures you are looking at, but what I wear really are nothing more than boxers and a very thin white tshirt. They don’t look much out of the ordinary in a gym changing room.

Secondly, It still says Mormon up there in my religious description =) although I expect to change it to “Mormon in RCIA” or something similar on Tuesday when I go to the first class, and then drop Mormon altogether if I decide to be baptized catholic (there is still a bit of confusion on my part between Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy). I probably will be baptized RC though, if my wife allows it.

And why still wear them? There is one person who sees me in them, and that is my wonderful wife. They still mean a great deal to her, and as I have said before, I am trying to ease out gently for her sake, taking baby steps. I think it will make life easier for her and me and my family if we do things slowly.

I don’t know any men who wear long boxers and an undershirt, especially to work out.

Secondly, It still says Mormon up there in my religious description =) although I expect to change it to “Mormon in RCIA” or something similar on Tuesday when I go to the first class, and then drop Mormon altogether if I decide to be baptized catholic (there is still a bit of confusion on my part between Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy). I probably will be baptized RC though, if my wife allows it.

I realize your religious description still says Mormon, however I thought you were completely out. My apologies if I misunderstood your situation.

May God bless you on your faith journey. :slight_smile:

And why still wear them? There is one person who sees me in them, and that is my wonderful wife. They still mean a great deal to her, and as I have said before, I am trying to ease out gently for her sake, taking baby steps. I think it will make life easier for her and me and my family if we do things slowly.

Makes sense. You know what is best and certainly must be considerate of your wife and family.

I know Mormons place a great deal of importance on their sacred garments and I should be more mindful of that.

For a man, that would be true.

For a woman, since women dont go around in boxers and tshirts, they are something very different. And a woman wears her bra on the outside of the upper garment.

The men I know do not wear such things either around the house or at the gym.

Do the men you know wear this type of underclothing to a gym or at home? Just curious.

I never said I worked out in it, or wore it to the gym. I said it wouldn’t be unheard of in a gym locker room, or changing room, whatever. The garment has to be worn at all times except for the 4 S’s, sweat (the gym, strenuous exercise, etc), swimming, showering (or bathing, whatever) and sex. What I meant was that I would go to the changing room, change out of the garment, into gym clothes, and exercise, then shower and change back into street clothes when I am done.

Also, I know many many people who wear undergarments very similar to the LDS garment. My grandfather’s and father’s boxers and white tshirts would be almost indistinguishable except for the markings on the garment. (They are Baptist). Over time, society has moved more and more towards skimpy underwear (whitey tighties, etc), but it isn’t universally that way.

Hmm…I have heard of these but never realized there were markings/symbols on them. In looking at one of the links, it looks like the old so-called “pig-pen cipher” that was used by the Masons - comes from a popular cipher used around the Civil War, I believe.

“Reading” them from upper left to right and assuming the line on the left leg and the dot at the crotch are connected by a line (the inseam of the leg perhaps) - you end up with “A - S - J”.

I’d maybe venture a guess and say initials of Joseph (A.) Smith, but no clue what the guy’s middle name was (if he had one).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.