LDS statement on caffiene

fox13now.com/2012/08/30/lds-blog-post-says-caffeine-ok-for-mormons/

When I was LDS living in Provo, most of us drank caffinated sodas, although one could not buy them on campus.

It was never brought up as an issue during any bishop’s interview I had. But I know of others who felt that it was to be avoided

So, is this what counts as continuing, latter-day revelation these days? It took them long enough. Maybe the PR department of the 15 prophets, seers and revelators can start receiving revelations on bigger issues now.

I never had a problem with LDS church leadership on my caffeinated soda consumption. In fact, my stake president growing up drank lots of Dr. Pepper. It was his favorite beverage. :slight_smile:

While at BYU, I made a concerted effort to never drink caffeine-free soda. As a business/accounting major, we were always going across the street to Wendy’s so we could get Dr. Pepper or fully-caffeinated Coke. I still refuse to drink caffeine-free soda or decaf coffee to this day on principle.

I do not believe BYU Dining Services only sells caffeine-free soda based on demand. I believe they don’t sell it to prevent lots of complaining from the anti-caffeine zealots, of which there are plenty. There was plenty of demand for regular, fully caffeinated Coke when I was there in the 90’s. I doubt demand has changed much.

No wonder I left the LDS church. I couldn’t handle living without regular Dr. Pepper.

For me, living in the “Riv”, we would go next door to “Harts” and fill up our 64 oz mugs with a combo of diet coke and cherry coke…

Oh it was sooo good!!

(I agree, that the Dining Service only sold caff-free because of demand…I call bull…Most people I knew drank caffinated sodas…

That does sound good!

Yeah, I am still so “damaged” from my caffeine-deprived BYU days that last week when I was at lunch and the Diet Coke fountain was broken, I passed up the caffeine-free Diet Coke for Sprite Zero.

I, too, thought it was forbidden and then later relaxed.
Thanks for the post.

When a faith-based college was considered and toured, I was told
“have all the coffee, tea, coke **and meat **you want. Just not on campus and don’'t expect to buy/find any on campus.”

It was not a LDS college.
I am betting they have done some relaxing. I might check that out…
And I ran to and accepted another faith based college, where the food was catered and the beer was delivered weekly.

Seriously.

LOL…

Another day, another change…

The LDS revelation has spoken! Amen;

Mormons are not allowed to drink “hot drinks”? :confused:

“hot drinks” are define by Mormonism as coffee and tea (not herbal tea, but green and black teas)

Coffee and tea, either iced or hot, are against their dietary laws known as the “word of wisdom”…it is found in their scripture known as the “Doctrine and Covenants”

when I was LDS, I was taught by every leader, stake, ward, mission, etc, that it stood for caffeine. Actually got chastised when Mission President saw Pepsi bottles in our room.

I think we should have a little game of trying to guess the next teaching or doctrine of js or BY that will be changed.

Yea?

I admit I was taught that it meant only coffee and tea… :slight_smile:

Never had any guilt or was asked if I drank any caffienated drinks. :slight_smile:
From all that I have seen, it seems the LDS church was never on the same page when it came to what was meant by “hot drinks”…

I had a similar experience in the LDS church with regards to caffeinated beverages, but I knew lots of people who had the strict no caffeine interpretation. It never made much sense to me. We could have hot chocolate and hot apple cider, both hot drinks, but no iced tea or iced coffee, which are not hot. :shrug:

It’s really just about control.

We visited the Polynesian Cultural Center on the island of Oahu a few weeks back; I didn’t realize initially that it was an enterprise of the LDS. They sold/served caffeinated soft drinks and also coffee, which surprised us.

Growing up in our Mormon home, no caffeine was allowed. Root beer was considered “safe”, and my mom was miffed when she discovered Barqs root beer contains caffeine. She was very diligent at checking soft drink labels after that. I was bummed when she discovered my favorite, Mellow Yellow, contained caffeine,

My cousin and I felt guilty eating cola flavored Bottle Cap candy. My aunt said it was ok because the candy didn’t contain caffeine.

I didn’t taste Coca Cola until I was a teenager and tried it while out with friends. I thought the Holy Ghost was going to leave, and I spent time trying to figure out if that had happened or not. I decided nothing was different.

At 16, I was working at a restaurant and my best friend, also a Mormon, double dog dared me to try coffee. The others working there were helpful, and made sure I had the right amount of sugar and cream. I can’t remember now if I liked it or not. Lol. It was a long time ago.

Some 25 years later, I discovered Diet Pepsi in my mom’s refrigerator. I about fainted. She said it was for company. I’ve never seen her drink anything with caffeine in it, to this day.

One of those mormon missionaries flagged me down recently on the street and went to work with proselytizing, I shared a little of what I thought, and then I said I had to go and get a coffee. I wonder if he thought thought I was trolling him? :o

Ha. Who knows what they thought. :slight_smile:

While I was working for a Mormon Church owned company, caffeinated drinks were not in the vending machines at first. After several year working there, one day, there were colas in the vending machine. That was the sign that we could have a can of Coke at our desk and not be looked at like we were going to murder someone the next day.

Us coffee drinking workers would sneak off for coffee at break, making sure to never let the anti-coffee co-workers see us. The office gossip…everyone knew who wasn’t following the Word of Wisdom. You didn’t want to be in that group. We used to joke that coffee was the slippery slope. Coffee this afternoon, murder tomorrow morning.

But, I remember Sunday school lessons that used the faith promoting story, where a high school track team was encourage by their coach to drink a Coca Cola to improve performance. The only Mormon on the team wouldn’t drink a Coke, even to win, and of course the next day he won. Obviously, because he could “run and not be weary”. These were lessons from the LDS Church manuals, so this modern rewriting is amusing.

And last of my reminiscing, my Mormon family members would point out that Coke was used to remove battery acid from a car battery, and laugh about how foolish anyone would be to drink something that removes battery acid.

Those were the days. :slight_smile:

Water dissolves pretty much everything.

Eventually… :shrug:

I mean, look at the Grand Canyon. Started off as a culvert.

When I was kid (back in the stone age) we used Coca Cola to remove rust from old nails. Soak them in Coke overnight and they are clean as a whistle in the morning and we could reuse them in building our tree houses and what-not. It works because Coke contains a bit of carbolic acid, which reacts with oxidized stuff like rust and dissolves it.

I believe you mean carbonic acid. Carbolic acid is indeed quite caustic and causes burns. In any case I used to hear this justification against consumption of Coke while I was an Institute of Religion instructor (while simultaneously a university chemistry instructor!) and it was one of the more annoying of rationalizations I’d hear in Mormon folklore.

Carbonic acid is a mildly weak acid with a pH closer to that of water than vinegar, and yet I’ve never heard a Mormon rage against the consumption of vinegar. Carbonic acid forms when carbon dioxide reacts with water, something that occurs constantly in our blood with dissolved carbon dioxide in the process of being an expelled byproduct of cellular respiration. You know what our bodies do with excess, dissolved carbonic acid? It’s converted back to carbon dioxide and we exhale it out of our lungs! Even if none of this convinces you that carbonic acid is safe for consumption, you’d have to stop drinking all carbonated beverages, including the Mormon-popular Sprite and carbonated lemonade. Where do you think those carbonated bubbles in pop come from? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.