LDS: The Father's Literal Body

The LDS teach that the Father had a literal human body just as we do. But one question that I just thought of is this: If the LDS say matter isnt created but “orgainized” then when/how did the Father get a human body considering everything was “spirit” before the creation of the world?
In regards to St John 1:1-3 it says about Jesus “though him all things were made” so if humans werent created yet then how did the Father have a literal human body beforehand?

They also believe that each person will become a god and rule over his or her own personal planet in the cosmos. Go figure/http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

1. If the Father has a genuinely material (human ?) body, then apart from contradicting the fact that “God is Spirit”, it follows that God was “carrying on” with Mary; which makes Jesus a bastard, the Father an adulterer, & Mary an adulteress. Quite apart from the question of the status of the Holy Spirit; & aquite part from attributing to God the very behaviour He forbids in the Commandments.

If Jesus was not born as one of us, with a truly human body, He is not truly human, & we “are still in [our] sins”. But the only way to avoid making the Father an adulterer, is for Him to be not human - so He must have a body of non-human origin. Which makes the Mormon Jesus neither truly human, nor truly of the same origin as His Father, but something hybrid. Which destroys His Mediation, because He is neither fully man (but only in part) nor truly God. So the Father becomes something like a space alien, & a badly-behaved one at that.

It may suit Mormon theology to turn the Conception of Jesus into a Greek myth, complete with gods who are either adulterers or born of adultery - but there is nothing Christian or Jewish in such an idea.

2. If matter is organised but not created out of nothing, it is as eternal & unoriginated as God - it is in fact a god; an inert one maybe, but still a god. If matter is not created by a God Who wholly transcends it, or is at the very least in some sense its cause, a system of ideas which sees matter thus is in no sense a Christian one. The Sumerians & Egyptians had more exalted ideas than that. ##

John 4:24 God is a Spirit, and they that worship him, must worship him in spirit, and in truth.

Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I my self: handle me, and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

God is a spirit, and spirits don’t have flesh and bone.

Dude - as I understand what I have read about Mormonism on the Catholic Answers web site, the short answer to your question is that God had a father. The problem is that this leads to an infinite regression of ‘fathers,’ to which the LDS church has no response.

Chuck

God, or gods?

Isa 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa 44:5 One shall say, I am the LORD’S; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the LORD, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
Isa 44:7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
Isa 44:8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
Isa 48:12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.
Isa 48:13 Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.
Isa 48:14 All ye, assemble yourselves, and hear; which among them hath declared these things? The LORD hath loved him: he will do his pleasure on Babylon, and his arm shall be on the Chaldeans.
Isa 48:15 I, even I, have spoken; yea, I have called him: I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.
Isa 48:16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.
Isa 48:17 Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
Isa 48:18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.