LDS: There will be an opportunity for those with same sex attraction to marry opposite sex in Heaven?

There is a new website launched today to promote greater understanding of LDS with same sex attraction and their family members.

One quote really jumped out at me (in bold):

An Eternal Perspective
We live in an imperfect world. Not all the pieces of the puzzle seem to fit. But having an eternal perspective and believing in a just and merciful God gives us hope that all will work out in the end.

With Him, each of us can walk the path, and chart the destiny of our spiritual lives.
We believe that with an eternal perspective, a person’s attraction to the same sex can be addressed and borne as a mortal test. It should not be viewed as a permanent condition. An eternal perspective beyond the immediacy of this life’s challenges offers hope. Though some people, including those resisting same-sex attraction, may not have the opportunity to marry a person of the opposite sex in this life, a just God will provide them with ample opportunity to do so in the next. We can all live life in the full context of who we are, which is much broader than sexual attraction.

Please explain from an LDS viewpoint how God will provide people with ample opportunity in the next life to marry a person of the opposite sex?
How do these people meet?
Aren’t all the worthy LDS already married by the time they reach heaven?
Will there be children from these marriages?

How is marriage in heaven biblical - or - where does the idea of marriages actually taking place in heaven even come from?

here’s the link: mormonsandgays.org/

No one is married in heaven.

iloveangels - as a Catholic, I would agree with you.

Please provide scriptural references to support your statement.
thanks!

[quote="lax16, post:3, topic:307628"]
iloveangels - as a Catholic, I would agree with you.

Please provide scriptural references to support your statement.
thanks!

[/quote]

When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Mark 12

“For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.” (Mark 12:25)

This verse is usually argued by Mormon apologists as meaning that no one will enter into marriage in heaven, which on its face contradicts the position you quoted, They believe those that are married and sealed on earth will remain so. They also believe that Jesus was only speaking to the Sadducees and it does not apply to the rest of us. Regardless, they cannot have it both ways. Either one can enter into marriage in heaven or one cannot. Jesus tells us quite clearly that one cannot.

As for the same-sex marriage thing, we will all have to make an accounting of our life to the Lord. We are judged according to this life. We don’t get to erase the chalk board and start all over again.

I see no contradiction. The quote given in the OP states-"**Though some people, including those resisting same-sex attraction, may not have the opportunity to marry a person of the opposite sex in this life, a just God will provide them with ample opportunity to do so in the next.

It says nothing about Heaven or getting married in Heaven. As you already noted, Latter-day Saints believe that no one will enter into marriage in Heaven. What the quote does say is that these people (in addition to all that did not have that opportunity in this life) will have the opportunity to marry “in the next” [life]. For a Latter-day Saint reader (the target audience of this new website), this is naturally understood to refer to the Spirit World, i.e. the intermediary place after death, prior to the Resurrection, prior to going to Heaven.

As for the same-sex marriage thing, we will all have to make an accounting of our life to the Lord. We are judged according to this life. We don’t get to erase the chalk board and start all over again.

Latter-day Saints don’t disagree with any of that.

The LDS believe that marriages are “sealed for time and eternity”, meaning that they persist after death. If someone in the LDS remarries following the death of his or her spouse, this would essentially allow polygamy after death (though polygamy is no longer allowed before death).

Mormon’s also believe in the great mercy of God. Because the church founded by the Jesus of Mormon understanding fell into apostasy, they believe that through the intervention of the restored church,** those who died can be “baptized” and even “sealed” in marriage by “proxy”**. By “proxy” means that living members of the LDS church perform the rituals on behalf the dead with the LDS Temple. They believe that God would not let humanity be bereft of salvation because simply because there was no church for 1700+ years.

Thus, within the logic of Mormon theology, the marriage after death of person with SSA can simply be arranged though a proxy ceremony (I do not know how the living proxy select the lovely wedding couples…)

Incidentally, when a Mormon marries a non-Mormon, they are sealed only “for time”, meaning that the marriage dissolves at death. As Non-mormons are forbidden from entering the Temple, marriages “for time” must be performed in the local neighborhood chapel. Often, following the death of the non-Mormon party, a proxy baptism and marriage will be performed in the Temple.

Another verse used by Latter-day Saints to suggest eternal marriage is 1 Peter 3:7.

Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. (KJV)

“being heirs together of the life of grace” suggests something that husband and wife will received together at a later time.

I see. What about in the case of divorce? I know quite a few divorced Mormons that were married in the temple the first time around.

Mormon’s also believe in the great mercy of God. Because the church founded by the Jesus of Mormon understanding fell into apostasy, they believe that through the intervention of the restored church,** those who died can be “baptized” and even “sealed” in marriage by “proxy”**. By “proxy” means that living members of the LDS church perform the rituals on behalf the dead with the LDS Temple. They believe that God would not let humanity be bereft of salvation because simply because there was no church for 1700+ years.

Why is marriage necessary for salvation?

Thus, within the logic of Mormon theology, the marriage after death of person with SSA can simply be arranged though a proxy ceremony (I do not know how the living proxy select the lovely wedding couples…)

Would a person want this type of marriage after rejecting it on earth?
When this is arranged, is it with the permission of the person with SSA - or - is it like the baptism of the dead where it is performed without their permission but they have the right to reject it?

Incidentally, when a Mormon marries a non-Mormon, they are sealed only “for time”, meaning that the marriage dissolves at death. As Non-mormons are forbidden from entering the Temple, marriages “for time” must be performed in the local neighborhood chapel. Often, following the death of the non-Mormon party, a proxy baptism and marriage will be performed in the Temple.

I am just so overwhelmed by the LDS obsession with marriage…:confused:

gazelam - Why is marriage necessary for salvation?

[quote="gazelam, post:8, topic:307628"]
Another verse used by Latter-day Saints to suggest eternal marriage is 1 Peter 3:7.

Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. (KJV)

"being heirs together of the life of grace" suggests something that husband and wife will received together at a later time.

[/quote]

Catholic commentary below...and a more modern translation, NAB-RE. Nothing here is talking about eternal Marraige.

7 Likewise, you husbands should live with your wives in understanding, showing honor to the weaker female sex, since we are joint heirs of the gift of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.*

• [3:7] Husbands who do not respect their wives will have as little success in prayer as those who, according to Paul, have no love: their prayers will be “a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal” (1 Cor 13:1). Consideration for others is shown as a prerequisite for effective prayer also in Mt 5:23–24; 1 Cor 11:20–22; Jas 4:3. After all, whatever the social position of women in the world and in the family, they are equal recipients of the gift of God’s salvation. Paul is very clear on this point, too (see 1 Cor 11:11–12; Gal 3:28).

Because polygamy is technically possible for men, men can just remarry in the temple if they have permission. However, because Mormons have strong family values, a second marriage would be granted cautiously. Women must have their seal “cancelled” first, as they can only be eternally sealed to one man.

On this question, I peaked at About.com as a reference to verify my thoughts on the subject. I’m by no means an LDS expert, but try to understand other’s beliefs as clearly as possible :).

Why is marriage necessary for salvation?

I think it might be, but am not sure. Mormon’s have strong family values, which make them valuable partners in the fight to protect marriage among the living, and the motivation for eternal company may be enough.

Would a person want this type of marriage after rejecting it on earth?
When this is arranged, is it with the permission of the person with SSA - or - is it like the baptism of the dead where it is performed without their permission but they have the right to reject it?

Again, details allude me personally. I allow myself a limited range of speculation into Mormon thought. I attempt to understand them on their own terms, but don’t wish to get entangled into belief system I ultimately know won’t add up.

I am just so overwhelmed by the LDS obsession with marriage…:confused:

If you watch enough TV, you’ll see our culture in general obsessed with sex. At least the Mormon attempt to put sex within the proper context!

Here are a couple of LDS apologist links that provide an LDS view of Biblical references on eternal marriage.

www.fairlds.org/FAIR_Brochures/EternalMarriage.pdf

jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_Relationships.shtml#marriage

The short answer is because it’s a commandment from God.

Here is a link to a talk about eternal marriage from an LDS Apostle.
lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/celestial-marriage?lang=eng#7-PD00009501_000_030

Here is a link to a lesson manual for newly baptized Mormons about eternal marriage.
lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-38-eternal-marriage?lang=eng

Just a note on LDS terminology. LDS use the term “exaltation” to refer to receiving the maximum reward God has to offer in the afterlife. Sometimes “salvation” means the same thing. Sometimes “salvation” is used by LDS to mean for receiving a partial reward for living a life of partial righteousness. LDS believe in three kingdoms of glory. They are Celestial (highest kingdom), Terrestial (next highest kingdom), and Telestial (lowest kingdom) in the afterlife. All three are “heaven” to one degree or another. And anyone who qualifies for any of the three has been “saved” in LDS parlance. Only those married eternally in the LDS temple qualify for exaltation and life in the highest glory of the Celestial kingdom. Qualifying for the Celestial kingdom is more nuanced than I’ve described here but makes the point regarding LDS usage of “exaltation” vs “salvation”. I hope this helps.

So God will let gays/lesbians get married in heaven or the spirit world? Your spirit world sure sounds like purgatory though.

I live in Utah and can tell you that the term “strong family values” is used a great deal - however, what exactly does it mean?
Marriage is not an option in Mormonism. It is a requirement for heaven. Is that a value - I don’t think so.
Values are internalized, not forced upon someone.

On this question, I peaked at About.com as a reference to verify my thoughts on the subject. I’m by no means an LDS expert, but try to understand other’s beliefs as clearly as possible :).

I try to understand LDS beliefs as well. The difference is, living in Utah, I see how things play themselves out and it is not as neat and tidy as one might think.

I think it might be, but am not sure. Mormon’s have strong family values, which make them valuable partners in the fight to protect marriage among the living, and the motivation for eternal company may be enough.

Again, details allude me personally. I allow myself a limited range of speculation into Mormon thought. I attempt to understand them on their own terms, but don’t wish to get entangled into belief system I ultimately know won’t add up.

I have been completely immersed in Mormon thought and action.

If you watch enough TV, you’ll see our culture in general obsessed with sex. At least the Mormon attempt to put sex within the proper context!

Once again, they are basically forcing the young people into marriage with the promise of heaven.
Yes, it is an attempt to put sex within the proper context. They marry pretty young here in Utah and there is much divorce and remarriage. It still doesn’t explain how one family can be sealed forever, then the parents remarry in the temple and then they are sealed forever…:shrug:

thanks for your answers!

Personally, I see this as a way of testing the waters to see what a doctrinal change might do to the membership.

Mormons came out very strongly against prop 8 in California, and didn’t fair well in the arena of public opinion. Rightly or wrongly.

Image is a very, very big concern in mormonism. They care very much about public opinion in matters like this. Bad publicity cuts into their possible number of conversions through their missionary programs.

With that being said, I think we are going to see either a very slow shift in doctrine from the mormons, or it is going to be a “revelation” announced similar to the lifting of the ban on blacks and the priesthood.

I compare this to the ban on blacks because that revelation happened to coincide with alot of public pressure. Many schools were refusing to play BYU in sports because of their policies, and suddenly, or coincidentally, there was a revelation.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don’t see that they are saying anything new. Mormons have taught before that a single person who never marries will have the opportunity to marry in the next life.

What has changed is the LDS approach to same sex attraction. There are people I know who were sent to camps and organizations that were meant to “get the gay out”. Same sex attraction was viewed as a psychological sickness, that could be cured.

I also know people who were encouraged to marry anyway, the idea being that over time their temporary attraction to the same sex would fade away.

As you can imagine, the stories coming from these experiences aren’t positive.

Now they’re telling people to not get married, but to live as a single person. This is so contrary to LDS culture, that I can’t imagine that anyone would stay LDS under these circumstances.

The Mormon God is fickle.

There you go, get married in the next life…

Like St. Fr. Damian, the priest who worked among the lepers in Hawaii, was finally married in the Mormon church, following his baptism after he was dead and I believe I read he is now married to another who suffered the same plight being a consecrated soul to God, an imagined Sr Maria…

St. Sr. Faustina is now married in heaven.

The Mormons rejoiced so many years back when they got hold of ‘a treasure trove’ of sacramental records going back 1,000 years of consecrated priests and religious.

Guess they are all getting married now, having sex in heaven, and seeing sex a greater satisfaction that Christ could ever fulfill.

Carnal knowledge and pleasure is the eternal goal, not union with God.

Yes, I can’t see what point Mormons have to this life, when there are so many do overs in the next. Just a bunch of fish in a fish bowl, swimming around…oh I died, now someone will live for me via proxy.

:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.