LDS view on un-baptised children

I know the the LDS typically baptise children when they reach the age of eight.

What, according to the LDS, happens to children if they die before receiving LDS baptism?

Thanks!

[quote=GoLatin]What, according to the LDS, happens to children if they die before receiving LDS baptism?
[/quote]

The following quote can be found in the scriptures of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 137, Verse 10. These are the words of Joseph Smith, describing a vision of his.

And I also beheld that all children

who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.
You can read it in context here.

You can find a less clear but longer discussion of the matter in the Book of Mormon as well, beginning at verse 4 in the eighth chapter of Moroni, written in the voice of Mormon, an ancient leader of the Church in Pre-Columbian America.

God feels that if a child dies before the age of 8 that they are perfect, so they leave the earth perfect. So they enter into the highest kingdom of heaven.

Close. The LDS doctrine is that God knows where everyone should be. He also makes sure that everyone gets an oportunity to exercise their free agency and develop spiritually. (one way or the other). They also teach that baptosm is necessary for everyone…eventually. SO unbaptized children will be given the chance in the spirit world to accept or reject the gospel. Those that died before accountability are covered by Jesus atonement and thus (in Catholic terms) have a baptism of blood or desire depending on the specifics. Those who are older that choose the gospel will be baptized by proxy. If their parents didn’t get them baptized and knew they should they will be under condemnation. In LDS doctrine everyone gets the chance in this life or the next to hear the missionaries, decide for themselves if they believe and accept and if so inclined get baptized. (by proxy if deceased). I disagree but that’s what they believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.