LDS vs Biblical Prophets-Prophetic Functionality of Mormon Prophets, Seers, and Revelators

One of the claims of the LDS Church is that they have prophets just like in the Bible. Specifically, the President of the LDS Church (currently Thomas Monson) is regarded as “the prophet”, and his counselors, as well as the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, are sustained as “prophets, seers, and revelators”.

How exactly are the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve functioning as prophets, seers, and revelators? Having prophets is something that is claimed to be "restored, and that presumably no other church has (which, as Catholics, we know isn’t true). So, what are the FP and Q12 doing, functionally, differently from the non-prophet leaders of other churches and/or religions? How do they function like Biblical prophets? Were any new revelations given at the latest General Conference?

Simple answer. They don’t function as prophets, seers or revelators. The last “revelation” that was described as such is Joseph F. Smith’s dream/vision of missionary work among the dead.

I know LDS consider the second official declaration to be a revelation but everything I have read about it indicates that is was a mutual decision among the 15. They discussed it and prayed about it. Then someone wrote a draft of the official declaration which was tweaked in a meeting of the 15. Pres. Kimball prayed and told Heavenly Father that they were going to give blacks the priesthood and that if he was not good with it, he needed to let them know. So basically, it was a “negative revelation.”

Many LDS also seem to act like the Proclamation to the World on the Family is a revelation. They even frame it and put it on the wall (even I did this). I had a bishop in my young singles ward who encouraged us to memorize it since it was “modern day scripture and revelation.” I don’t see how the Proclamation is all that prophetic. Lots of people regardless of religious affiliation had been saying the same things for years before the Proclamation was issued. If anything, the LDS prophets, seers and revelators were late to the game.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.