LDS: Who was Moroni?

My daughter is learning in her religion class in college that Moroni was an angel and also was Joseph Smith’s tutor.
Concluding his presentation, Moroni warned Joseph that when the time came to obtain the plates, if he showed them to anyone not approved of the Lord, he would be destroyed. The light gathered around the heavenly messenger, a conduit opened up into heaven, and Moroni ascended. (See JS—H 1:43.)*

What kind of angel is/was he? Who would destroy Joseph Smith - Moroni or God?

Moroni was the last Nephite “prophet” of the Book of Mormon according to their scripture who recorded the book of Mormon on to Golden Plates that he buried before he died. He was resurrected after death to become an angel. The same angel that then directed Joseph Smith to the location of the same plates which Smith then translated to English using the “seer stone” in a hat to the book of Mormon according to their tradition.

His likeness can be seen on the top of almost any Mormon temple as the gold angel holding the trumpet.

Oh Wow! Religion classes in college explain what a particular religion teaches. The way it comes across is that it is true. It IS NOT. IF something appeared to Joseph Smith…it was not an angel of God.

I have no time to do a search right now - but no angel of God appeared to Joseph Smith! Hopefully someone here can give a site and better information so that you can inform your daughter.

You are so sweet, Dorothy!

We live in Utah and my daughter knows a lot about Mormonism. She texted me about Moroni being a tutor for JS. She knows it’s not true but it got me to thinking…just who is Moroni?

Well he wasn’t a tutor per se, more like a guide. And according to Mormon tradition he was just a white Native American who was ressurected as an angel. What was he if you’re not Mormon… well that’s for you to decide. :wink:

It sounds to me that he came from the dark side, or from someone’s imagination.

I don’t believe that Jews or Christians believe that angels are resurrected humans. Did he have a physical body?

A white Native American? How can that be?

I just found this.

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/MORMON2.HTM

It gives much information.

There are other beliefs that claim that “God told them…” or “a being from Heaven…” and many other New Age practices can be categorized in with this as well. God help us!

We were warned there would be false prophets.

Has an angel in the Bible ever told someone that they will be destroyed?

Offhand I don’t know.

I do have another site with information:

cuf.org/2004/04/mormonism-and-the-great-apostasy-theory/

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

Galatians 1:8

AMEN!

Since part of this thread seems to be curiosity regarding the LDS belief about angels, here is the link to the Encyclopedia of Mormonism article about angels: eom.byu.edu/index.php/Angels

I hope this helps…

Angels in Mormonism are either deceased humans or humans who have yet to be born. There is no strict classification of angels in Mormonism akin to the “Thrones, Dominions, Powers, Seraphim, Cherubim” etc. that Catholicism utilizes. Nevertheless Mormonism does recognize various “kinds” of angels without using a proper nomenclature to classify them.

First and foremost one could dichotomize all angels as either embodied or disembodied. Those who are embodied are either resurrected or translated humans (humans who have been made immortal by Heavenly Father without actually experiencing mortal death). The disembodied are those who either lived life and are now awaiting the resurrection or those who have yet to be born. Angel Moroni is in the former camp (embodied) and is believed to have been resurrected by God for the purposes of restoring the Church through Joseph Smith rather than having been translated from mortal life.

A couple other things to know about angels in Mormonism:

• Since Mormons believe that theres no substantial difference between humans and angels, all angels named in the Bible have been ascribed human counterparts in the Bible. For example, Mormonism teaches that the Archangel Michael is/was Adam. The angel Gabriel is/was Noah, etc.

• Because of this dichotomy between embodied/disembodied angels, Mormons are taught to test angelic visitation by offering their hand to shake. Resurrected beings from Heaven will oblige you and you’ll be able to physically shake their hands. Disembodied angels who are yet to be resurrected will ignore your request and will continue on with the message they were sent to give. Demonic angels (those 1/3 who rebelled against God and followed Lucifer to Hell) will never have a body but will still offer you their hand to shake. Doing so will result in you not feeling anything.

• Mormons do not believe in guardian angels (i.e. personal angels assigned to every human at birth who remain with them throughout life). Though it isn’t at all common for Mormons to use the term “guardian angel” I have in fact heard some Church members adopt the terminology very recently to describe the “promptings of the Holy Ghost” LDS members believe they have access to throughout their life after their confirmations. I only mention this as a cautionary tale should any uninformed Catholic run across a Mormon who says they do in fact believe in “Guardian Angels”. Again, I’ve only heard a handful of LDS co-opt the term, but given the LDS propensity to co-opt traditionally Christian terminology in order to subtly shoehorn LDS theology into a conversation I think it’s important to keep an eye out for such behavior.

If you should run into an LDS who insists that (s)he believes in guardian angels, ask them to explain what they mean. Either they’re co-opting the term or they genuinely believe in a concept that is foreign to their church (possibly a holdover from Christianity if they’re a convert).

• While the term ‘angel’ is almost always used in reference to angelic messengers, strictly speaking it isn’t wrong within a Mormon framework to refer to those humans who will never be exalted but aren’t destined to Outer Darkness (Mormon “Hell”). These individuals are believed to spend the rest of eternity as angels never progressing to godhood.

I’m not sure if Catholics have a specific doctrinal teaching about “guardian angels”, if there is, I would be interested in hearing about it.

I do know that members of the LDS church do believe that God has given his angels charge to watch over us (e.g. the idea to watch over, protect, guide).

Here is the most succinct explanation I could find. I have shortened it a bit but provided a link for more information.

8 things to know and share about the Guardian Angels
by Jimmy Akin 10/01/2014

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/8-things-to-know-and-share-about-the-guardian-angels

1. What is a guardian angel?
    A guardian angel is an angel (a created, non-human, non-corporeal being) that has been assigned to guard a particular person, especially with respect to helping that person avoid spiritual dangers and achieve salvation.
    The angel may also help the person avoid physical dangers, particularly if this will help the person achieve salvation.

2. What does the Church teach about guardian angels?
    According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
    From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life. Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God [CCC 336].
    See here fore more on the Church’s teachings on angels in general.

3. Who has guardian angels?
    It is considered theologically certain that each member of the faith has a special guardian angel from the time of baptism.
    This view is reflected in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which speaks of “each believer” having a guardian angel.
    Although it is certain that the faithful have guardian angels, it is commonly thought that they are even more widely available. Ludwig Ott explains:
    According to the general teaching of the theologians, however, not only every baptized person, but every human being, including unbelievers, has his own special guardian angel from his birth [Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, 120].

Thanks! I read through it and can see the LDS have a very distinct way of teaching about angels. It appears these beliefs came from Joseph Smith and his visions.

Since the resurrection of Jesus Christ, some angels have been “resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones” (D&C 129:1). The Prophet Joseph Smith indicated that resurrected angels have advanced further in light and glory than spirits (TPJS, p. 325). Such are the beings who have been instrumental in the restoration of the gospel in the dispensation of the fulness of times. It was of this type of angel that John wrote, “And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people” (Rev. 14:6). Elias, Moses, Elijah, Moroni, John the Baptist, Peter, and James are examples of resurrected angels who ministered to the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Yes white Native Americans. Mormons believe that several groups of Israelites came to America around 600 AD by boat. The Nephites being lights skinned (white) and the Lammanites being dark skinned ancestors to historical Native Americans. And tha Jesus then preached to them after his resurrection. The Nephites were destroyed around 385 AD by the Lammanites per Mormon tradition (hence Mormons had no non-white members until the 70’s).

Thanks for this. It helps parse it out a bit.

I thought there were thousands upon thousands of Nephites in battle with the Lammanites?
They all came over on a few boats?

Why are Israelites referred to as Native Americans? What is the connection there?
(My husband is Jewish and we recently had our DNA done - not Native American)

Aren’t indigenous middle eastern people darker skinned? The Israelites would have been dark skinned, dark hair & eyes. Really - Jesus wasn’t fair skinned with blond hair & blue eyes. I would imagine at first glance they would not have looked much different than the native population in America.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.