LDS worship

I’m just curious. What is Mormon communal worship like? Is it liturgical? Are there formal, pre-written prayers and responses? Is there a communion service with anything like a Eucharistic Prayer? Are there similarities to the services of the more liturgical Protestant denominations? This could go for Temple services or the ordinary Sunday services (whatever the proper terms for these things are).

The ordinary sunday worship in wards is very non-liturgical. with the two prayers one for the wonder bread, and the other for the water in thier “sacrament” being the only liturgical element. All other prayers in the chapel are strictly extempore.

But in the temples the prayers are liturgical. But not every mormon can even enter the temple, they have to have a temple recommend which is given or not after an interview with the “bishop”. They have to pay regular tithing, keep the word of wisdom, and be declared worthy.

Just don’t visit one on “Fast Sunday” Cause, fast, it aint. Mormon Church services typically run 3 hours in length. There is a “preisthood” class for the men, “Relief Society” meeting for the women.(Each one hour) Then, adult Sunday School,(another hour) and “Primary” for the children. Finally, there is “Sacrament Meeting” An opening hymn, then talks are given by members of the church who are given a specific topic. There is ward business, Another hymn(The Sacrament hymn) Then the bread and water get passed around. Closing hymn. Then out the door. Sometimes, there are special music numbers, guest speakers from the higher ups. Fast Sunday is a time where anyone can come up and “Bear Their Testimony”

2 1/2 minute talks.

LDS services are like board meetings. The chairman opens the meeting and members give talks on predertimed topics. There is also bread and water given.

Sunday Worship
On Sundays, Latter-day Saints typically attend 3 hours of church. The first hour is known as Sacrament Meeting. Sacrament Meeting is our Communion service. The leader of our local congregations is known as a bishop, and he has 2 counselors, forming a bishopric. The bishop presides during Sacrament Meeting, and either he or one of his counselors conducts the service. Sacrament Meeting begins with any announcements (such as events occurring in the coming week), followed by an Opening Hymn. After the Opening Hymn, an Opening Prayer is given by a member of the congregation.

Following the Opening Prayer, matters of church business occur. During this time, if a member of the congregation has received a calling (such as being called as a Sunday School teacher), this is announced, the person stands, and we raise our right hands to sustain/support them in their calling. Also, other ordinances can occur during this time, such as Confirmation or Naming and Blessing Children.

After that, a Sacrament Hymn (a hymn about Communion, Christ’s sacrifice, etc) is sung. During the Sacrament Hymn, young men and/or adults that are ordained to the priesthood break the bread that will be blessed. Following the Sacrament Hymn, the bread and water (we do not use wine or grape juice) are blessed by the priesthood, and passed to the congregation to partake.

After that, a sermon, known as a talk, is given by a member of the congregation on an assigned topic. Following that, an Intermediate Hymn is sung by the congregation, and a second talk is given by a member of the congregation. Sometimes, if a Church authority is visiting, such as a Temple President, they will give a talk as well.

Following that, closing remarks are given by the bishop, a Closing Hymn is sung, and a Closing Prayer is given by a member of the congregation.

It is very simple in comparison to Mass. We don’t have candles, incense, or images inside the actual chapel (though images are found in the hallways of the church, as well as throughout our temples). Also, you remain seated throughout the Sacrament service, including during prayer.

After Sacrament Meeting, there is Sunday School, where we study the scriptures. Each year is dedicated to studying a certain scripture, such as the Old Testament (in addition to the Pearl of Great Price), New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants and Church History. While that is the main class, other classes also occur during this Second Hour, such as Temple Preparation, Marriage Preparation, Gospel Principles (for new members/converts and those learning about the Church), Mission Preparation, Family History, etc. There are also classes for children under 12, known as Primary.

After the Sunday School hour, the Final Hour takes place. During this time, we separate into groups for men (various Priesthood groups) and women (the Relief Society). During this time, a lesson is given from a manual on a Gospel topic, or on teachings from various Church leaders. In Priesthood meetings, ordinations can also take place.

And that’s generally what happens on a typical Sunday in a Latter-day Saint church. On First Sundays of the month, instead of the typical Sacrament Meeting, we have a Fast and Testimony Meeting. Members typically fast for two meals (and donate the money saved), then during church, those that feel the desire to share their testimonies with the congregation.

The Temple

Latter-day Saints not only have our meetinghouses/churches where we go for Sunday worship and various activities and classes throughout the week, but we also have temples, which we believe are Houses of the Lord, where His Spirit dwells and His presence can be felt. They are very beautiful, and I love going there (I’ll most likely go tomorrow). In the temple, all patrons wear white clothing.

In the temple, various sacred ordinances take place. One is baptism for the dead. In this ritual, a living person is immersed in the water for a deceased person. We believe that this then offers that deceased person the opportunity to accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the next life if they didn’t have that opportunity in this life. Similar rituals also take place for Confirmation, Ordination, Sealing, etc.

Another ritual that takes place is Sealing, or Eternal Marriage. In this ordinance, the couple enters a sealing room, which also has an altar where they kneel (and typically there are large mirrors on opposite walls that look like they reflect into eternity). They hold hands and are sealed together for time and all eternity.

Finally there is the Endowment, or gift from God. Just prior to the Endowment, there is a ritual known as Washing and Anointing. During this, a patron is symbolically washed and anointed, and various blessings are pronounced on them, as they are faithful. They also put on the Garments of the Holy Priesthood, which we believe are sacred undergarments that remind the person wearing them of the covenants they have made with God. Following this begins the actual Endowment ordinance. During this ordinance, the Plan of Salvation is presented (mostly using film). We learn more about the Creation, the Fall, etc. We put on ceremonial clothing, and we enter into various covenants with God. It is very symbolic. After the Endowment, one passes through a veil into the Celestial Room, which symbolizes entering into the presence of God. In this beautiful room we quietly pray and meditate, and many believe that they receive personal revelations from God during this time.

I hope that helps.

Thank you LivingWaters. I found your posts very informative.

The temple is also where people had to swear to allow themsewlves to be killed by having their throats cut or by having their bowels cut out. It is also where a Catholic Priest is the agent of Satan and we find out that Jesus and Michael made the earth and Michael became Adam

Kind of sounds like prison!

Who do they donate the money to?

Have no clue, except what I’ve read on anti-catholic info. I’m excited about learning more about my faith. Sorry.

Before I joined the Catholic Church, my husband and I would “switch off” Sundays; one week at mine and one week at his. He’d go to a Saturday evening vigil mass if it was “my” week, I couldn’t understand why on earth he’d put himself through 2 separate church services on those weeks, lol.

Anyway, he used to call the Fast and Testimony meetings (which occur on the first Sunday of every month; instead of having predetermined speakers or a topic members of the congregation are allowed to come up and just speak about whatever strikes them and they bear their testimony of the truthfulness of the LDS Church) “Pep Rally Sundays” and it used to make me SO upset. Looking back on it now, his approach may not have been all that, er, PC, but I wouldn’t hear ANY criticism of the LDS church (valid or playful) without getting up in arms.

Just a fond memory :slight_smile:

We used to call F&T Sundays “Open mike Sunday”.

Latter-day Saints not only have our meetinghouses/churches where we go for Sunday worship and various activities and classes throughout the week, but we also have temples, which we believe are Houses of the Lord, where His Spirit dwells and His presence can be felt. They are very beautiful, and I love going there (I’ll most likely go tomorrow). In the temple, all patrons wear white clothing.

Hmm, that’s interesting. So if you’re not going for a particular ceremony or celebration, what do you do there? How do you spend your time? Do you have pews or kneelers?

What do the children under 12 do during the last hour of priesthood/relief society?

In general, most people go to the temple to participate in a specific ordinance/ritual. However, there are many areas in the hallways of the temple to sit, read scriptures (the temple has copies of our scriptures on tables in the hallways and in the foyer), pray and ponder. There is also a small chapel in most temples where one can sit, read scriptures, pray, etc. In my temple, there is a “grand hallway” which is really beautiful, bright, with beautiful artwork of scriptural scenes (and a huge painting of Jesus Christ at one end), and is near the sealing rooms. I love to go up there and sit and feel the presence of God.

The Primary class continues for the final hour. Primary is for children ages 3 to 11. Those under 3 may attend a nursery during the class times.

The money is donated to the local congregation, and the bishop, the leader of the local congregation, can distribute/use the funds for those in need of food, clothing, shelter, etc.

Mormon temples are used only for special rites and ceremonies. They don’t have regular sunday services. And to get in the door you have to have a “temple recomend”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.