Leading bishop resigns from the Catholic church following 'affair' scandal

‘The Rt Reverend Kieran Conry, the bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Arundel and Brighton, resigned from his post after he admitted to breaking his clerical vows, leading to speculation he had an affair.’

‘The apology read: "I am sorry to confess that, going back some years, I have been unfaithful to my promises as a Catholic priest. I would like to reassure you that my actions were not illegal and did not involve minors.’

express.co.uk/news/uk/516437/Catholic-priest-resigns-following-affair

I feel kind of bad for the man, losing his job and all.

WHEW! I never thought I’d be thinking, “I’m glad the bishop was having affairs with adult women!”
I feel rather bad for him, too. We’re all human, but he knew he was sinning and causing scandal, to boot.

He didn’t “resign from the Catholic Church.” He, and the other unfortunate people involved, need God and the Church more than ever.

He didn’t resign from the Boy Scouts.

So…I’m unclear.
He’s sorry for hurting people and he asks for prayers and forgiveness.
And yet,
…he is choosing to continue to break his vows and also, to continue having sex without being married to a woman who is married to someone else…instead of continuing to be a Bishop?

His sentence that he will “will now take some time my future” seems to be missing words–important ones.
I can’t tell what he is saying here.

Is he giving it all up for love, as they say?

Anyone?

What a confusing situation that has been presented here, in my humble opinion.

Quite clear in confessing an ‘affair’ thereby breaking vows of chastity. Where does that leave this Bishop according to the Rites of The Church?..

However the answers do not ‘add up’ at all. Are we addressing these issues by not being 'very clear and concise as to an obvious outcome? What is going on?

Why can’t answers be clear rather than hiding behind bible readings etc. It certainly doesn’t help we of the Church who depend on 'openness, clarity and, above all, truthfulness, How else do we keep our Faith?

Surely there is someone of our Church who can honestly answer this basic question…is this ‘affair’ a Mortal sin and, if so, what action should be taken with the offenders, ie. both parties concerned?
I await your reply
A.

It sounds like he had an affair with an adult woman.

He’s resigned.

We don’t need any more information to know the outcome of the case: he messed up, and he resigned.

His private sins are no longer our concern, because he has removed himself from the office of pastor. We don’t need–and have no inherent right–to the juicy tidbits. They may come out, but there is very little profit in rehashing them.

Leading bishop?

I don’t rejoice with anyone that this was a woman not a man. You now have a Bishop who has resigned because of not only being unfaithful to his vows, most likely the cause of ONE divorce (unlike what he said, having an affair with a married person is illegal, grounds for divorce, in some places).
This is a very sad day. It seems at least one woman went to him for help and got used. Then there’s the harm done to their faith.
Prayers for all involved.
Waiting for a day when others could see the damage done to women is just as much to the men.

A sad situation all around.

FWIW, I don’t think you should boot a priest because he broke the celibacy vow. But I don’t know the canon law on this.

He wasn’t “booted,” he resigned, without even waiting to hear from Rome if his resignation was accepted.

And to be clear the issue here isn’t merely that he “broke the celibacy vow” (actually a promise, not a vow). Because he did quite a bit worse than that.

He dishonored a married woman and shamed a married man and broke up their family (yes, it takes two to tango, etc.).

He exposed the Church to considerable legal liability (yes, it takes more than two to [maybe] orchestrate a cover up, etc.).

He admits this was “going back some years,” during much of which time he presumably celebrated thousands of Sacraments unworthily, a casual and repeated act of sacrilege (to which we are, apparently, mostly indifferent – making all of our complaints about divorcees unworthily receiving the Eucharist seem so hollow – and just in time for a Synod that everyone thinks, possibly wrongly, will change all that).

He trespassed against marriage at a time when Catholic understanding of it is already at its weakest, and so contributed to the widespread public impression that Catholics are liars and hypocrites when it comes to sexual morality (an impression reinforced by the tepid response of faithful Catholics to this objective outrage), as well as to the impression that your family is not safe in the company of clerics, as if the Church weren’t already alienating enough for men.

By his own admission he excused his guilt by not giving homilies on sexual morality, effectively sinning against his own episcopal commission to transmit the Catholic faith without adulteration and in its entirety (but of course “I don’t think it got in the way of my job” he says, which leads one to wonder what exactly he thought his job was).

He did this with at least two women, that we know of, and resigned only to head off scandal, with a terse and perfunctory press release and no concrete expression of repentance or contrition. (For heaven’s sake it reads like a PR from a politician about to check himself into rehab!) It is not even clear he has or will discontinue these relationships.

This is an outrage in a national church already besieged with scandal, which will drive souls out or keep souls from holy mother Church – and he has the temerity to say he wasn’t a bad bishop! And he goes off into early retirement assured of the prayers of the faithful while at least one family and potentially millions of souls are ruined in his wake and totally forgotten about. The whole thing is just sickening, from start to finish.

That caught my attention to, the idea that he can “resign with immediate effect” all on his own. I guess he is used to doing things his own way. That being said, submitting his resignation is better than continuing on as he was.

Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.