Leading Madagascar prelates strongly criticize Catholic Relief Services [CWN]

The archbishops of Madagascar’s two largest cities, joined by other local clergy, have offered strong criticism of Catholic Relief Services (CRS), according to two weekly briefings written …

More…

This really upsets me; I have tried to give generously to CRS every Easter. Does Dr. Carolyn Woo have any comments on these accusations?:mad:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=812557 existing thread

in addition to complaining that CRS was involved in distributing abortifacients and contraceptives, the clergy expressed dismay that the majority of CRS’ employees in the country are not Catholic and that it does its work apart from the local church.

“Maybe CRS’s participation in artificial-contraception-promotion programs is the reason that CRS mainly hires Protestants, who have no objection to family planning,” suggested Fr. Liva, SMM, Pastor at St. Thérèse Parish in Tamatave. “If CRS hired Catholics, some of those Catholics might object more strongly to CRS’s participation in that kind of thing.”

“I’m not sure why, and I don’t want to exaggerate, but maybe 70% of its staff, or even more – is not Catholic,” said Archbishop Tsarahazana. “They’re not Catholic… I do understand that about CRS’s commitments to the U.S. Government…but, the question that remains is: Why are there so few Catholics on CRS’s staff…that I don’t understand so well.”

Archbishop Odon Razanakolona of Antananarivo, Madagascar’s capital, expressed concern over the Catholic agency’s apparently tight relationship with the U.S. government.

“One time, for ‘visibility’ purposes, they [CRS-Madagascar representatives] came in here [to my office] and asked me to put up this thing, this sign, with ‘USAID’ on it; to put it up behind my desk,” he said. “I threw them the hell out of my office: ‘Take your sign and your money out of here. I don’t need it. I’ve lived in my poverty; leave me in my poverty.’ ”

“The money that CRS gets: a large part of it goes towards administration, while they make us work like dogs,” he added. “And then they collect two-thirds…and they give us crumbs. They are the ones who need to explain: Why do they receive such big salaries?”

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=810545

Wow. Well, I’m not going to be giving to CRS anymore. But here’s a good alternative: missionariesofthepoor.org/

lifesitenews.com/news/madagascar-archbishop-denounces-u.s.-bishops-agency-for-pushing-contracepti

According to PRI, the bishops went public with them after they had held a private meeting with CRS’ president, Dr. Carolyn Woo, to no avail.

Well, that cuts it. I stopped giving to CCHD decades ago. Now I will stop giving to CRS. From now on I will give directly to the poor of our own Diocease or directly to a Missionary or Missionary Order.

Linus2nd

Thank you for the links April 32010. Wonder where the comments from the bishops can be found?

usccb ?

I just checked their website. There was nothing about CRS in Madagascar.:frowning:

i’m sorry,it wasn’t clear .are you looking for reponse from american bishops,or Madagascar ?

American; I did a key word search for any statements or comments regarding Madagascar.

no,there have not been any statements from the usccb

catholicnewsagency.com/news/african-archbishop-affirms-support-for-catholic-relief-services/

“Washington D.C., Aug 2, 2013 / 05:20 pm (CNA).- A Madagascar archbishop has distanced himself from controversial claims that Catholic Relief Services distributed contraceptive drugs and abortifacients in his country, affirming that the agency’s actions do not violate Catholic teaching.”

OK, so now I’m really confused. What’s next for CRS? Either this story was true or not true. We need answers because this is extremely important. Before I give another dime to CRS I want to know what happened.:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.