Learn Latin

Not sure that this is the best place to ask this question, but since Catholics are very up on the Latin thing I thought I'd ask. I am needing to learn a language for postgraduate work and was wondering what materials you guys recommend to learn the language?

I had to learn Latin for my Masters and Ph.D. studies in Medieval History.

Our textbook was Wheelock. It was quite good. This was in the 1990s.

I'm not sure what other resources are out there.

[quote="Lisa1967, post:2, topic:315957"]
I had to learn Latin for my Masters and Ph.D. studies in Medieval History.

Our textbook was Wheelock. It was quite good. This was in the 1990s.

I'm not sure what other resources are out there.

[/quote]

I know guys who have to use the Wheelock textbook and find it to be awful, so your millage may vary.

Other guys have found that the textbook by McKeown is better. Again, millage may vary.

Perhaps you could find a TLM parish/or priest of the FSSP. They may be able to offer some excellent resource suggestions.

nationalarchives.gov.uk/Latin/beginners/

textkit.com/latin_grammar.php

teach-and-learn-latin.org/

Peace

Salve,

That is wonderful that you want to learn Latin! It is truly a beautiful language and the language of the Church as well.

I recommend the Henle textbooks (by Fr. Henle). Whatever you choose, I highly suggest you take it with a class since it is better to have a teacher than to teach yourself. ;) If there is not a class in your area, you might take Latin with an online school. I highly recommend Fisher More College for this; I take Latin with Fisher More Academy currently (and will be taking Latin with the college this coming school year) and the teachers and classes are amazing! Here is the website: fishermore.edu/

Oh! And there is a wonderful book that is an absolutely amazing supplement: Dale Grote's Comprehensive Study Guide to Wheelock’s Latin. It is good no matter what textbook you use! :thumbsup:

Pax Domini sit semper tecum,

~Kittyo~

I would recommend the Cambridge Latin Course Series. It really engages the reader into Latin with stories and also gets across the grammar. There are four volumes to the series. I personally find this easier to use than Wheelock's although I have used wheelock's before. Now, you need to remember that most Latin texts are not religious unless they are specifically "Ecclesiastic Latin"

I second the Henle recommendation.

[quote="Sean_W, post:1, topic:315957"]
Not sure that this is the best place to ask this question, but since Catholics are very up on the Latin thing I thought I'd ask. I am needing to learn a language for postgraduate work and was wondering what materials you guys recommend to learn the language?

[/quote]

We use "Latin: An Intensive Course - Floyd L. Moreland, Rita M. Fleischer" at my seminary

Wheelock is unbeatable for grammar and structure but it is dry.

Depending on what you are using it for, you would want different books as your second book. I enjoyed LINGVA LATINA by Vivarum Novum which is classic Dick and Jane type stuff but in Latin (you need a grammar like Wheelock or a professor with it since first page begins "Italia in Europa est Aegyptus in Europa non est" without translation). There are some specific to Ecclesial Latin, but I don't have extensive experience.

One secret like any language is using it. I can read Latin since I do so every day with Liturgia Horarum but I stink at composition since I only reached over a paragraph once in composition.

It would seem we are moving back to the traditional liturgy. Can't go wrong I think, one day I think we will all need to learn at least some of it.

But, what a beautiful language! If you need inspiration, just attend a traditional high mass. The gregorian chant will have you in tears it's so beautiful. I envy you. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.