Learn the ahadith to better understand Islam

In honour of the holy month of Ramadan which begins in a few days time, this thread is meant to present a brief but yet fairly comprehensive collection of the ahadith which should provide the reader with a very much better understanding of Islam.

It is taken from the book of the Islamic scholar Yahta bin Sharaful-Deen An-Nawawi (rahimhuAllaah) and this book is now known as “An-Nawawi’s Forty Hadiths”.

It is a popular small book in which the author gathered forty two of the sayings of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and it is widely considered to be essential reading for anyone who seriously wishes to study the fundamental teachings of Islam.

Just like an apple a day keeps the doctor away, learning a hadith a day throughout this coming month of Ramadan will, God-wiiling, significantly improve one’s spiritual wellness.

On the authority of Omar bin Al-Khattab, who said : I heared the messenger of Allah say :

“Actions are but by intention and every man shall have but that which he intended. Thus he whose migration was for Allah and His messenger, his migration was for Allah and His messenger, and he whose migration was to achieve some worldly benefit or to take some woman in marriage, his migration was for that for which he migrated.”

related by Bukhari and Muslim

I don’t get it.:shrug:

Wow…so people do things because they intend to do them for the reasons for which they intend to do them…for?

That’s deeeeeep, maaaaaaaan. :hypno:

No, seriously, I don’t get it either.

The hadith is merely explaining that our deeds in this world will be rewarded on the Day of Judgment by what our true intentions were when we carried out these deeds.

The early Muslims were commanded to migrate to Madinah and they had to leave behind all of their property and possessions in Makkah when the persecution that they suffered at the hands of the pagan population there became so severe and dangerous for them that they were unable to freely practice their faith.

Those who migrated because of their obedience to their Lord will be rewarded accordingly on the Day of Judgment and those whose migration was for other reasons will not obtain this reward in the Hereafter.

Sorry, I when I heard the word migration for some reason I thought about birds.
Can’t say I get anything out of what you just said.
Thanks for trying anyway.

I would never want any ‘lessons’ from the Koran. It’s evil. If it is not of Christ, it is not of anything.

This is one of the beautiful hadiths of Muhammad. It is not new, in the sense the Muhammad brought something new, but rather the message in this hadith is something that has its roots in the Pslams.

St Mark the Ascetic (aka Monk) said, **“God assesses our action according to our intention; for it is said that the Lord will ‘reward you according to your heart’ **(Ps. 20:4)” (The Philokalia Vol 1)

The meaning of the statement from St Mark, is that, we are called to sincerety. We are called to be sincere with our Lord. That we be both righteous in public and in secret, that when we do something, we do it for the sake of the Lord, we do it to please the Lord.

Sometimes we go to church so people can say, look at him, he is righteous, this person is going to Church for other than the sake of the Lord, he is going to church so people can praise him. This is called showing off or ostentation.

There are two type of showing off, with action and with the tongue. With action, going to church, being charitable so other people can praise you. And then there is showing off with the tongue, with is telling people of your righteous deeds.

More can be said concerning this one statement but I think we get the picture and its importance message.

I think we get the picture of what it means that actions are judge by intentions, and we understand that this essential aspect of Islam comes from the Judai Christian thought. So it is nothing new. But none the less a good reminder.

In Christ,

Silouan

PS: St Mark the Ascetic came in the 5th century and Muhammad came in the 6th century. I mention this to illustrate that much of the essential teachings of Muhammad came from the early Christians.

Dear hamba2han,

I believe that you have a good intention for quoting this. But, I don’t understand it. Anyway, I wish you well in your Holy Month of Ramadhan fasting ritual. May your fasting be completed perfectly, and may your good deeds are accepted and rewarded by God SWT.

How nice. Leave all your possession in Makkah and enrich the Arabs.

C’mon, guys, be nice.

I’m looking forward to reading these Hadiths, myself; I hope to learn something. I hope Hamba2han keeps posting them.

The first one makes sense to me. Substitute “converts” for “migrates” and you might see what I mean. I think it’s true for any faith!

Ruthie

Hamba,

Don’t some Muslims deny at least some of the ahadith?

I have read parts of the Qu’ran…to the OP, correct me if I’m wrong…aren’t hadiths separate from the Qu’ran?

Hadiths are not the same as Islam ‘dogma,’ from my understanding.

I think that I need to clear up a bit of confusion here.

Throughout this coming blessed month of Ramadan, I shall be posting at least one hadith every day, God-willing, from this very well-known collection of forty-two ahadith of Imam An-Nawawi in the hope that the reader will greatly enhance his or her knowledge and understanding of Islam as this is what this book “An-Nawawi’s Forty Hadiths” is meant to accomplish.

The ahadith (plural for hadith) being the reported sayings and actions of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is indeed separate from the Qur’an which is of course the verbatim Speech of Allah.

It is worth noting here that although both the Qur’an and the words of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) which were recorded in the ahadith, came from the lips of just one man i.e. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), they do not however share the same linguistic structure and this makes the Qur’an absolutely unique because not even the ahadith can match it’s linguistic brilliance and accuracy.

Anyhow, this is hadith # 2 of Imam An-Nawawi’s collection:

On the authority of Omar bin Al-Khattab, who said :

One day while we were sitting with the messenger of Allah there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and whose hair was exceedingly black; no signs of journeying were to be seen on him and none of us knew him. He walked up and sat down by the prophet. Resting his knees against his and placing the palms of his hands on his thighs, he said:“O Muhammed, tell me about Islam”. The messenger of Allah said: “Islam is to testify that there is no god but Allah and Muhammed is the messenger of Allah, to perform the prayers, to pay the zakat, to fast in Ramadhan, and to make the pilgrimage to the House if you are able to do so.” He said:“You have spoken rightly”, and we were amazed at him asking him and saying that he had spoken rightly. He said: "Then tell me about eman.“He said:“It is to believe in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day, and to believe in divine destiny, both the good and the evil thereof.” He said:“You have spoken rightly”. He said: " Then tell me about ehsan.” He said: “It is to worship Allah as though you are seeing Him, and while you see Him not yet truly He sees you”. He said: “Then tell me about the Hour”. He said: “The one questioned about it knows no better than the questioner.” He said: “Then tell me about its signs.” He said: “That the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress and that you will see the barefooted, naked, destitute herdsman competing in constructing lofty buildings.” Then he took himself off and I stayed for a time. Then he said: “O Omar, do you know who the questioner was?” I said: “Allah and His messenger know best”. He said: “He was Jebreel (Gabriel), who came to you to teach you your religion.”

narrated by Muslim

This is not an issue at all when it comes to Imam An-Nawawi’s collection because every one of these forty-two ahadith is authentic.

And any Muslim who denies an authentic hadith really does need to re-evaluate his beliefs.

How many ahadith are there that are not considered authentic?

oh this thread is gonna get interestinggggggg!

This is a VERY good idea! Thanks Ham! :slight_smile:

I would suggest, though, that you “interpret” it’s meaning, or some small aspect of it’s meaning.

In other words, give us the hadith and your “homily” on that hadith.

THEN, we can find out where we agree and disagree about the “wisdom” of said hadith. I would suggest you prepare yourself to agree about much and agree to disagree about even more! :slight_smile:

Without repetition there are probably about 10,000 authentic hadith, with repeition (different wording) there are about 100,000 authentic hadith. There are actually two types of authentic hadith, Sahih (rigorously authenticated) Hasan (Well Authenticated)

And many times more weak and fabricated hadith.

However not all the hadiths in the 40 hadith collection are authentic, I believe one of the hadith is below the level of authentic, but the meaning of the hadith is accept, since it does not contradict anything necessarily known to be part of the religion.

in Christ,

Silouan

Hadith # 3

On the authority of Ibn Omar, the son of Omar bin Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with both, who said : I heared the messenger of Allah say :

“Islam has been built on five [pillars]: testifying that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammed is the messenger of Allah, performing the prayers, paying the zakat, making the pilgrimage to the House, and fasting in Ramadan.”

related by Bukhari and Muslim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.