Learned something

At the risk of divulging too much info about myself, I wanted to share this with you all. I am in the process of a 2nd divorce. Both were my fault. My personal character flaws are that I am selfish, greedy, and manipulative, Going through divorce number two made me think: Where have I gone wrong, and where have I not changed, and become a new creation in Christ? In a counciling session at a friend’s church, I listed the places I have worshiped, and been a member of:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The United Methodist Church
The Southern Baptist Church
Indpendant Baptist
Non-Denominational
Assembly of God
The Reorgainized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
The Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
The Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite)
The Nazarene Church
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synond
I have also investigated The Catholic Church, The Jehovah’s Witness, and Judaism.
The one thing that the Care pastor and I found out, since I spent so much time searching for the truth, I missed out on one thing: Discipleship. I know much, but so little at the same time. I’ve never had the chance to grow in my faith in Christ. Now that I’ve found a church I can call home, I hope now to grow in Grace. Prayers would be appreciated.

Just realized, I may have put this in the wrong forum area…

It is charitable and insightful of you to recognise your flaws and to actively do something about it.

You certainly have been church-shopping.

Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Saying prayers for you. :gopray:

Thank you.

I’m praying for you, too. Gaining knowledge is always commendable - sometimes you can see the thing in front of you better with a degree of contrast in the background. Although baptized into the Lutheran church as an infant, and confirmed as well, I spent some time in the reformed ranks and THAT made me much more aware of the Lutheran distinctives. I am here at CAF, and nosing around the local Roman Catholic churches in hopes of further understanding of where I have been, am now, and why.

Studying the the Catholic faith has made me a better Lutheran and even more importantly, a more faithful Christian as the Holy Spirit has opened my heart.

I hope you will not take this post as judgmental. Heaven knows I am far from perfect myself.

It seems your life lacks or lacked permanence and belonging. With all that moving around, it doesn’t look like you’ve made a particularly coherent or stable journey through life. I sincerely hope you do find a religious home which can mend these problems. You need somewhere of permanence where you can have a minister in whose confidence you can be, and with whom you can talk over your issues.

Be patient. Not everything is going to make sense to you straight away. Proceed with caution and try to make a coherent path for yourself. Don’t radically change things too often. You will be forever in turmoil if you continue to do so. Just sit back and take stock of what you have, and think about your future. Maybe talk to a religious person, maybe one of your Lutheran priests, and find one you can take into your confidence. Devout Christians, in the true sense, are often the best counsel you can ask for, better than any social worker or Freudian psychiatrist could ever be, because the love of God just radiates from them.

I wish you the best in your future.

Hi Batman,

I am deeply sorry for the trials of your life (even the self-admitted ones that you caused) and also deeply impressed by your honest self-reflection and I hope that honesty brings forth the peace you are looking for. I am praying that you will be awash in His peace and comfort.

God Bless you always

This is a book on discipleship and even from a Lutheran. Do not be discouraged!

books.google.co.uk/books/about/Discipleship_Paper_Ed_Dbw_Vol_4.html?id=UOKiCwcr200C&redir_esc=y

You sound a lot like my ex. He has made great progress, it appears. The hurt remains; even with an annulment, I haven’t remarried. I could talk to him about making contact.

Thank you all again for your kindness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.