Learning Ecclesiastical Latin?

Wheelock’s latin is Classical. It gives a lot of support and has audio to help with pronunciation: wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html :thumbsup:

, the famous Latin dictionary accessible for free online

Thank you for the help. Finally found the nominative and genative singular and gender of
"exterminio " ( exterminium ii, n ). This apparently is a Late Latin word used in Church Latin only 11 times and not at all in Classical Latin. It was not in my White Dictionary nor in Thomas Aquinas Dictionary. You would think that the translators would use words that could be found in the best dictionaries. I don’t think it is in the Oxford dictionary either because they didn’t include Church or " Christian " Latin in their work.

There are some great aids to learning Latin on line. The University of Arizona has an excellent Church Latin course, www.u.arizona.edu/~aversa/latin/ .

And Saint Luis University education department has a wonderful Latin cours on line, you really do have to check this out. www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/…/tchmat.html

I found this much more clear and thorough than Bennet and some others.

Is your Vulgate project ever going to see the light of day.
I passed up a Desclee Vulgate which was going for $200 because I thought it was too expensive and I was waiting for your reproduction. Now I am kicking myself and wishing I had coughed up the $200 even though it is still too expensive.

Just fixing your link
slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/tchmat.html

St Louis University has some excellent online latin help. www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/…/tchmat.html

There are some excellent 18 century Latin grammars on Google Books

Did you know that many old grammars called the "Subjunctive Mood " the " Conjunctive Mood. " Just found that out today. One old grammar I looked at showed the complete conjugation of " Sum " and it referred to the " Subjunctive " as Conjunctive. " In fact they didn’t even use the term " Subjunctive. " Interesting.

Better than Consubjunctive, I guess. :slight_smile:

But the subjunctive in Latin is very important from a philosophical standpoint, and in my opinion, care should be taken to translate it properly. And not introduce subjunctives, for example, “the Lord BE with you” where there aren’t any subjunctives in the Latin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.