Learning How to Forgive Others

Then Peter approaching asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?"
Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times."Matthew 18:21-22

1. Forgiving others when they have at least a tiny or miniscule genuine desire for Christian reconciliation and admisson of guilt.

2. Forgiving others when they do not. Their desire for reconciliation is nominal (in name only) or they simply refuse to admit their guilt and ask for forgiveness.

What does forgiveness mean?

How does one do it?

Maybe there is teaching of the Magisterium or the saints on this subject? :o :confused: :shrug:

I look at forgiveness as an act of mercy, which is love in action. So forgiveness can be looked at as an act of love.

To me, forgiveness is about not letting yourself be consumed by pain and hate. If you let your anger fester and your mistrust of the world simmer, you will become a dark and dismall person. Forgiving is about saying nothing more than, “I’m going to put it down and move past it. What you did was not okay, but I’m going to be the bigger person and not try to make you and the rest of the world pay for it for the rest of my life.”

This passage, from the Diary of St. Faustina has given me so much “light” into the act of forgiveness (what it means, and how to practice it)… I’ve actually pasted it up on my bedroom door… where I can read it, often.

I hope it helps others, as much as it has helped me. God bless.

DIARY OF ST. FAUSTINA

(1628) During Holy Mass, I saw Jesus stretched out on the Cross, and He said to me, ‘My pupil, have great love for those who cause you suffering. Do good to those who hate you.’ I answered, ‘O my Master, You see very well that I feel no love for them, and that troubles me.’ Jesus answered, ‘It is not always in your power to control your feelings. You will recognize that you have love if, after having experienced annoyance and contradiction, you do not lose your peace, but pray for those who have made you suffer and wish them well.’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.