Learning Latin to attend Tridentine Mass

Hey…I have this strong desire to learn latin for scholastic reasons. In addition, I want to occasionaly attend a local Tridentine Mass held at one of the local parishes, but I don’t know Latin. I really want to learn how to read, speak, and understand it. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Book, Program, or CD/DVD that will help me learn Latin. I want something that is good for beginners, but will also teach me all of the advanced parts of latin such as prepositional phrases, indicatives, etc. PLEASE help me. I have heard Wheatlocks is good, but I was wanting to know if you all had any suggestions. Thanks, Sonny

Really, the best way to learn the Latin you will need for a Tridentine Mass is to get a Missal with the Latin beside the English. That is what I did when I was 13 yrs old and had just started going to the Catholic church. Soon it becomes part of you. To this day I know parts of the Latin Mass and the English translation by memory.

Sonny,

I think you’ll do better looking for Wheelock’s Latin – a standard text for teaching Classical Latin. However, for the Mass you’d be better served with John F. Collins’ A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin published by CUA Press (Catholic University of America).

Deacon Ed

Thanks…I appreciate the responses…I look forward to more.

I just got a book called ‘Let’s Read Latin’ by Ralph McInerny. It comes with a tape for pronunciation and is taught by using the Latin Mass prayers, which sounds like what you want it for. Ir’s been very helpful to me.

Cool where did you get this and how much does it cost?

See you in Church:)

All of the above are great suggestions. If you want to learn Latin from top to bottom and have the time and the money, check out www.bolchazy.com
One hears, reads, types, practices, etc.etc. from a CD and has a reader, guide to it. I agree, however, if you are only interested in Latin for Mass there probably is a web site with it on it also.
Pax on earth to men of good will.
LaVada

I have taken Latin for the past few years for highschool. I also attend the Old Latin Mass. I found that one of my text books was excellent for learning the actual prepositional phrases and the grammer for Latin…(which ending goes with what word…) It is also used for an English book for the comparison but don’t let that effect using this book, “Basic Language Principles.” Check out Barnes and Nobles and ask them if they can order it. Good Luck! Latin is a great thing to learn.

Hi Deo, I got it on line. Don’t remember the bookstore but it’s printed by dumb ox books, so maybe try their publishing site. I think it cost about 15 dollars. Nice to see you this morning.

Sounds like something up my alley - I can be a bit of a dumb ox at times LOL. Good to see you too. I feel more at home there every week.

I feel more at home there every week, too. I wonder if I should just register there. But the Bishop said that we should still support our home parish. Is there anything that says I can’t make it my home parish since it’s out of my parish bounderies? Or do bounderies matter anymore? I know where I want to be but I still have young children to consider.

[quote=moira]I feel more at home there every week, too. I wonder if I should just register there. But the Bishop said that we should still support our home parish. Is there anything that says I can’t make it my home parish since it’s out of my parish bounderies? Or do bounderies matter anymore? I know where I want to be but I still have young children to consider.
[/quote]

No boundries do not matter any more. But I have been considering the same thing just because it would be more convenient to go to one Parish until our Latin Mass Community has facilities to have daily Masses and sacraments which may be a while. They have the registration orientation every other month (I just called) and there is one tomorrow evening. First you attend the 5:30 p.m. Mass (don’t have big expectations from it from what I understand). Then this is followed by a reception and opportunity to register with the parish if you so wish. Shall we go?

Also they have daily Mass at 8:30a and 5:30p with confession 1/2 hour before every daily Mass - what a concept. I am going to make every effort to go early tomorrow and do that too - I think that a good confessor is as necessary as a good parish.

What is a registration orientation? I thought you just went to the office and filled out paperwork. And every other month? But it’s something to think about. I’ll talk to my hubby about it.

Well that’s just the way they do it there. Actually I think it is a good idea because it affords the opportunity to ask questions about the parish, programs, policies, etc.

Well…I am going to my first Latin Mass this Sunday…I am so excited, I can’t wait…I will let you all know how it was.

Sonny, You will love it. The reverence and quiet are beautiful. Can’t wait to hear what you think about it.

My neice is homeschooling and learning Latin online. You might want to look into a program like that. It is terribly hard to learn a language correctly without a teacher. Besides, it gives you deadlines and keeps you at it.

As a 70 yr. old who grew up not understanding what was being said during the TLM, getting my first missal many years later really opened up the mass to me. Sadly, I believe, all that needed to be done after VII, was to make the missal available to all. I grew up in a large family and we certainly could not afford missals even if they were available. Now, thankfully, I can pray the Mass along with the priest. Gee, I may actually be participating in the mass? How much more “active” can you get?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.