Learning the mass in Portuguese

This might seem like an odd request but I was wondering if any of the other priests on here (or laity) knew where I could find recordings of the mass parts in Portuguese.

I can say the mass in English (clearly), Spanish and Latin (with a little struggle). However, the parish I was assigned to has a Portuguese community and I'd love to help out with them and say a mass once in a while.

I have several CDs to help me learn the language. But I don't necessarily need to be conversational in it right away (since most of the people in the community know Spanish as well). However, I'd love to be able to offer the sacraments for them.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

You might be able to find a Portuguese radio station that streams on the Internet--they often broadcast Mass, especially in conjunction with a festa.

I'm not sure if RTP (Rádio Televisão Portugal) televises Mass, but you could check.

I just checked our local radio station but they don't have their schedule posted. You might ask your parishioners if they know of any resources (oh you probably already have).

Your Portuguese speakers will appreciate your concern even if you are unable to do it. :)

That is great that you are trying to learn the mass in Portuguese. I am half Portuguese from the Azoresand would love to understand the mass in the language.

Dish Network has a channel from Brazil. Is their Portuguese much different?

[quote="Brother_Ganser, post:1, topic:331160"]
This might seem like an odd request but I was wondering if any of the other priests on here (or laity) knew where I could find recordings of the mass parts in Portuguese.

I can say the mass in English (clearly), Spanish and Latin (with a little struggle). However, the parish I was assigned to has a Portuguese community and I'd love to help out with them and say a mass once in a while.

I have several CDs to help me learn the language. But I don't necessarily need to be conversational in it right away (since most of the people in the community know Spanish as well). However, I'd love to be able to offer the sacraments for them.

[/quote]

I think you should write a very nice letter to Seán Cardinal O'Malley at the Chancery in Boston asking if he could refer you to any resources - he has his Ph.D. in Spanish and Portuguese literature, was Bishop of Fall River with a large Portuguese population, and almost certainly could help.

Of course, he might be a tad busy, but it's worth a letter. Politically, you might want to first check with your Bishop.

Actually just call the Diocese of Fall River, Massachusetts Portuguese Apostolate and ask if they can help. From the Fall River Diocesan website:

Portuguese Apostolate
c/o St. John the Baptist Rectory
344 County Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
Tel. (508) 992-7727 Fax (508) 997-1462
Addresses the pastoral needs of the Portuguese-speaking community and facilitates their participation in the life of the Church.

Rev. John J. Oliveira
Coordinator
Rev. Gastao Oliveira
Director of Portuguese Communications

[quote="Brother_Ganser, post:1, topic:331160"]

[/quote]

The easy solution is to just hang a sign on the door: "Aqui falamos portunhol" :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.