Learning to Teach the CCC

I am reading through the CCC (and loving it) and there is a chance I may be assisting someone with teaching it at a recovery home in the Central Valley. We - our Parish - supports this home as an ecumenical endeavor but have discovered there are Catholic women there who are being taken to Southern Baptist services. We want to provide Catholic education for those interested, and we are very grateful to our Protestant Brethren for helping them towards Christ.

Many of these women are challenged mentally because of serious drug and alcohol abuse. Some are not.

I need guidance as to teaching materials and things for me to read regarding a ‘reintroduction’ (so to speak) to Catholicism.

Our Religious Director’s wife is having their baby right now so I am doing a little preemptive research. We hope to have a once a week program up and running in about 8 to 10 weeks.

You have all been so helpful to me, helping me grow as a Catholic. What would you suggest as preparation material for teaching the Catechism?

Thank you.:bounce:

[quote=LSK]I am reading through the CCC (and loving it) and there is a chance I may be assisting someone with teaching it at a recovery home in the Central Valley. We - our Parish - supports this home as an ecumenical endeavor but have discovered there are Catholic women there who are being taken to Southern Baptist services. We want to provide Catholic education for those interested, and we are very grateful to our Protestant Brethren for helping them towards Christ.

Many of these women are challenged mentally because of serious drug and alcohol abuse. Some are not.

I need guidance as to teaching materials and things for me to read regarding a ‘reintroduction’ (so to speak) to Catholicism.

Our Religious Director’s wife is having their baby right now so I am doing a little preemptive research. We hope to have a once a week program up and running in about 8 to 10 weeks.

You have all been so helpful to me, helping me grow as a Catholic. What would you suggest as preparation material for teaching the Catechism?

Thank you.:bounce:
[/quote]

I would suggest a Lectionary based Catechesis. Use one of the RCIA guides. This would provide a soft introduction to the teachings of the Catholic Church. You or whoever ot leading this will have to do some homework and prepare to introduce different beliefs and Doctrine based on the Sunday’s Scripture readings.

This would also from an ecumenical perspective show others that the Catholic Church teachings are rooted in the Scriptures.

Hands down the best teaching on the CCC is Fr. John Corapi. It’s spendy at $275

[fathercorapi.com/Catechism-Series-C2.aspx](http://www.fathercorapi.com/Catechism-Series-C2.aspx)

Alternatives might be that he is on stations such as relevantradio.com or EWTN and you might listen or tape him. But it is well worth it.

Where do you live. If by chance you live in Minneapolis (not likely). Leaflet Missal in St. Paul has his whole series on Video available to borrow. No kidding.

Perhaps there is some more help on his website. The guy is a great speaker.
fathercorapi.com/

I hope that is of some help.

Blessings

That’s weird, only the priest at our parish and our sister parish nearby is permitted to teach Catechism and RCIA?

Emmaus Road books has a series of woman’s Bible studies on several topics that incorporate a lot of teaching from the Catechism. Entirely faithful to the teachings of the Church, they are simple, clear and inexpensive, running about 8 weeks a study. My wife led a Bible study which incorporated these materials and they were very well recieved. Here is a link to Emmaus Road for more info.

emmausroad.org/shopnew/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=7&subcat=43&cat=Bible+Studies

For more resources, I recommend you visit my website, linked below. Bless you for your service to the Gospel.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.