Least Favorite Fictional Character

For the negative side of the discussion :smiley:

My #1 has to be Dr. Yuri Zhivago. I haven’t seen the movie, but the book, while well written, made me want to burn it, and then go about kicking random men in the shins.

Ka D’Argo on Farscape is #2, but he’s a love to hate type, the self-righteous, wife-beating, engagement-assuming, physically, mentally, and emotionally abusive bully. I can see his good points sometimes, and he adds to the cast dynamic, but I’d never want to know him. But then the “noble savage” sci-fi stereotype has never interested me.

3 Deanna Troi. If there was a vomit smiley, I’d be using it.

4 Apollo, from mythology. Self-absorbed, misogynist donkey who really isn’t all that great.

5 Jake from Lonesome Dove. It still makes me want to cry when I think about “Lori who?” and it’s been about 10 years since I last read the book.

Mr. Willoughby and Mr Collins are tied.

You did NOT just say that about Deanna! Where is that Ignore button again? :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

I did like her in that ep where she woke up as a Romulan. And her hair was always so shiny…

I don’t know how I ever got hooked on Agatha Christie’s books… I guess when you’re 11 or 12 and those are the only grown-up books you’re allowed to read, you aren’t real particular.

Anyway, it’s a three way tie with Hercule Poirot, Captain Hastings and Inspector Japp. I mean, looking back at them now, they’re all parodies. No one is that brilliant, that thick, or that self-important (in that order). No wonder Dame Agatha finally killed off Poirot! You can see how much even SHE came to hate Poirot when you read how her author-character, Ariadne Oliver, writes about HER fictional detective.

The only Poirot murder mystery I REALLY enjoyed was Cards on the Table… mainly because neither Hastings nor Japp were around and Poirot had to share the spotlight with 3 other detectives.

Are you sure you watched the show? I mean, D’Argo a wife-beater??? Not in any episode I saw. If I recall correctly, it was her own brother who murdered her and set D’Argo up to be convicted.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would have to say it is currently Ba’al from Stargate SG-1. Anyone who could torture Jack over and over again is just despicable.

Oooooh, with that kind of qualification, I can offer the fictional character that I *just don’t get *-- It’s not a hated character. Just one I cannot bring myself to care about.

But first, my Geek Confession of Shame[SUP]TM[/SUP]: :nerd: :o

In 30+ years of trying, I have never ever read The Lord of the Rings. I cannot stay awake through chapter 1. I cannot stay awake through any of the films. Not my cuppa :coffee: for some reason.

So my Least Favorite Fictional Character has to be:

An N-way tie among all of the characters in those books.

tee
Sorry, Frodo; Sorry Gandalf; Sorry everyone. Sauron take you all for all I care.

I can’t stay awake through this drivel either! I’ve tried for 20+ years and it just does NOT hold my attention.

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to strangle a character more than the Underground Man. Dostoyevsky is good for easily-despisable people.

Male - Mr Collins in Pride & Prejudice, so obsequious

Female - Mercedès Iguanada in The Count of Monte Cristo, she’s so wimpy

For me it is a tie: the evil Murdstones in Dickens’ David Copperfield vs. the wicked Mr. Brocklehurst in Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. Mr. Murdstone was indirectly responsible for the early death of David’s mother, and he also maltreated David horribly, aided and abetted by that hideous sister of his. But Mr. Brocklehurst was directly responsible, through his stiff-necked pride and sadism, for the death of little Helen. So which is worse? They’re both reprehensible!:mad:

I reckon Uriah Heep in David Copperfield is pretty gruesome too - a quite literally slimy character! Course there’s also Bill Sykes and Fagin from Oliver Twist …

Simon Legree in Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Villain!

This is tough question!

Actually, I don’t remember the name of the character, but I really hate the book, Catcher in the Rye and whoever narrates it.

I agree that both of these characters are pretty bad. However, Tom Hollander’s portrayal of Mr. Collins in the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice was classic. He was so oblivious he was hysterical! :rotfl: I love that movie!

Oh, and Bram Stoker’s Dracula is one of my least favorite fictional characters. Ugh! Of course, I’ll probably think of more later.

Scout :tiphat:

Superman, the TV version of the character, the movie version, and the comic book version. How can anyone believe that putting glasses on and pretending to be Clark Kent, the mild and meek reporter, is a clever disguise?! He is boring, naive, a bumbler (in spite of ridiculous awesome powers) and clueless. Give me the New Batman or Spiderman anytime.

I’ll take Val Kilmer in the Batcostume over any Superman, anyday.

Way to go, Chovy!!!

I thought Bill’s characterization of Superman in Kill Bill 2 was right on - “**Clark Kent is Superman’s opinion of the human race.” **

Think about it - the uncoordinated, clueless, half-blind, bumbling country bumpkin is what he thought would “blend in.”

PS: I can’t think of a “most hated” character. I probably don’t think very much about the ones I don’t like.

When we were home schooling my daughters decided that they would love to play the parts of Mr Collins or Lady Catherine because they would be the most fun to do.

Hey, you forgot about Mr Wickham!

Mr Drawlight in Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.