Leaving CAF for Lent

Lent is approaching, and I'm planning on leaving for Lent. The reason is probably obvious to anyone who's on this forum much at all: I post too often and too much! I am neglecting other things I ought to be doing, and undoubtedly spending too much time concerning myself with things that are not my concern. The Scripture quote that comes to me is this one: "We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a disorderly way, by not keeping busy but minding the business of others. Such people we instruct and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to work quietly and to eat their own food." 2 Thes. 3:11-12

While I'm gone, I will be discerning whether I should give up posting here altogether. Is anyone else considering the same thing: that is, either giving up the forum for Lent or giving up the forum altogether? What thoughts are going into your considerations?

Understand, but your wisdom and insight will be missed!

Not saying this to flatter you, but your departure will be a loss. We occasionally crossed paths on different threads, and I've always thought you were smart, considerate (among other things), and that you offered interesting new perspectives. Not sure the scripture you quoted can be applied to you. God bless.

[quote="EasterJoy, post:1, topic:231215"]
Lent is approaching, and I'm planning on leaving for Lent. The reason is probably obvious to anyone who's on this forum much at all: I post too often and too much! I am neglecting other things I ought to be doing, and undoubtedly spending too much time concerning myself with things that are not my concern. The Scripture quote that comes to me is this one: "We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a disorderly way, by not keeping busy but minding the business of others. Such people we instruct and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to work quietly and to eat their own food." 2 Thes. 3:11-12

While I'm gone, I will be discerning whether I should give up posting here altogether. Is anyone else considering the same thing: that is, either giving up the forum for Lent or giving up the forum altogether? What thoughts are going into your considerations?

[/quote]

I'm considering GREATLY reducing my posting here. Especially some areas where I have already unsubscribed to posts. Sometimes its hard to remain charitable, especially when others are not being as charitable. And my mind is not to replace what I'm giving up for Lent with this forumn...it's to allow more time for time with God and more time for spiritual reading.

I do understand where you are coming from.

:hug1: I’m not giving it up, but limiting my fun computer time to 1 hour a day. For many of the same reasons you are. So this way I will have to prioritize what I want to read, post on, if I want to be here at CAF, or reading blogs, etc. Good luck!

You can see by my join date and my post count that I am here A LOT...same convictions about that that you have had, in fact I was shocked to see that thread title and wondered if I had posted it and forgot that I had...;)

I know that my priorities have been disordered lately...well, for quite a while actually. I really spend too much time on the internet in general, and on this forum particularly. Since I am going to be participating in 40 Days for Life at least one day a week, and praying at home the other days, I am going to cut back my screen time to spend more time with the Lord.

But I have to thank this forum for so much - because of you guys, I have gone to confession more in the last 2 months than in the last 5 or 6 years! Because of you guys, I have gone to weekday Mass the last 2 Fridays and absolutely LOVE it! I stay afterward and pray the Rosary and I love that too! Because of you guys, I realized that I have been ignoring the Friday penance except during Lent and I am returning to that practice too. And most importantly, because of you, I recognized some sins that I didn't realize WERE sins and so I have confessed those and been absolved.

I was sanctioned for being uncharitable and that taught me some necessary lessons as well. I would say this forum is a wonderful, helpful, supportive, informative, FUN, and as Catholic as it gets place. I love it.

I will miss you EasterJoy. I hope you don't stop posting altogether. Will you pray for me? thank you.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:231215"]
You can see by my join date and my post count that I am here A LOT...same convictions about that that you have had, in fact I was shocked to see that thread title and wondered if I had posted it and forgot that I had...;)

I know that my priorities have been disordered lately...well, for quite a while actually. I really spend too much time on the internet in general, and on this forum particularly. Since I am going to be participating in 40 Days for Life at least one day a week, and praying at home the other days, I am going to cut back my screen time to spend more time with the Lord.

But I have to thank this forum for so much - because of you guys, I have gone to confession more in the last 2 months than in the last 5 or 6 years! Because of you guys, I have gone to weekday Mass the last 2 Fridays and absolutely LOVE it! I stay afterward and pray the Rosary and I love that too! Because of you guys, I realized that I have been ignoring the Friday penance except during Lent and I am returning to that practice too. And most importantly, because of you, I recognized some sins that I didn't realize WERE sins and so I have confessed those and been absolved.

I was sanctioned for being uncharitable and that taught me some necessary lessons as well. I would say this forum is a wonderful, helpful, supportive, informative, FUN, and as Catholic as it gets place. I love it.

I will miss you EasterJoy. I hope you don't stop posting altogether. Will you pray for me? thank you.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: I will pray for you too!

I, too, will be giving up the internet for lent (for the most part) ...but not this forum!!! I learn too much here! :D

[quote="Annabelle_Marie, post:7, topic:231215"]
:thumbsup: I will pray for you too!

[/quote]

Thank you so much!!!!:) I really appreciate all prayers on my behalf.

I don’t know - I’m quitting smoking - but I had 3750 posts since 2007 which isn’t that bad. I wish I could get back to my old account I miss the group I was apart of.

Dear EasterJoy,

I wish you the best during your Lenten journey. I hope that you will return to the forum. Your kind, fair, accepting, and knowledgable responses to various posts have strengthened my faith and educated me about my new Catholic identity (convert from Lutheranism 3 years ago this Easter). For selfish reasons, I hope you return. But if it is not in your best interests to do so, please know I am most grateful for your presence here and will keep you in prayer,

Blessings,
Alaska

Lent is approaching, and I'm planning on leaving for Lent. ...While I'm gone, I will be discerning whether I should give up posting here altogether. Is anyone else considering the same thing: that is, either giving up the forum for Lent or giving up the forum altogether? What thoughts are going into your considerations?

[/quote]

Yes, I am thinking those very things--and often have over the years. I've given it up this forum for Lent or Advent in the past. If I just give up this forum (where I usually spend most of my time on the computer) and don't restrict computer time in general, I end up wasting time (and often money) on other websites. I have a love/hate relationship with both CAF and Ebay. ;)

I've also gone back and forth about giving up this forum altogether. I don't know what to think on that front. I like it here. But I have a real family life, outside of CAF that requires my attention. Quite frankly, sometimes I'd much rather give myself to you people, who are virtually total strangers to me, than the children that God has placed in my home. You people are much quieter than my kids. Okay, sometimes people fuss like children here, but when it gets to be more than I want to take, then I just click on a different thread. Poof, fussiness all gone.

Then again, maybe not all the problems are gone. I'd like to think that I can offer friendly advice and support for my fellow Catholics, but there are certain topics that pop up continually that also pop-up negative thoughts in my mind. It would probably help me to not see the letters "M, I, L" for forty days or longer. A lot of the topics here involve struggles with family life. Even if I don't click on those threads to respond, I see the titles. I don't need those pop-ups. I want to be joyful. I want my family life to be joyful too.

By the way, I like your user name. That's the type of sub-liminal thoughts I want planted in my mind. I enjoy your posts too.

There are a few other posters, (like yourself), that I enjoy encountering here on this forum. That's why I keep coming back. In real life, I'm out numbered by children all day. I long for adult conversations and interactions with other mature Catholics who live our faith. I used to have those encounters through moms' groups and Bible studies on a regular basis, but my family obligations and other circumstances changed that. I do have real life friends, but many have gone back to work and all of us are busy raising our own families. It's hard to get together with friends on a daily basis. My husband is a great guy, but it's unreasonable expect one man to meet all my needs for social interactions with adults.

That's the long answer with several rambling thoughts on the subject. My short answer is "yes" to both questions.

[/quote]

EasterJoy, I do hope that I will see you again after Lent is over.

I think you have much to offer to other posters. You have a way of cutting through the the extraneous feelings and legalistic rules that cloud so many issues. And you do so with great charity. I say this not to flatter you but to suggest that you have a gift that is helping people.

(I do understand the temptation to spend too much time here. I don't post as frequently as some but I spend **way **too much time checking for new posts and reading.)

You are doing a wonderful thing!!! May God give you the courage you will need to kick the addiction. I did it when I was about 20 and I am so glad I did. My father died of lung cancer and my sister still smokes, unfortunately. She’s not in great shape but she just can’t seem to quit.

I've been struggling to come up with the "right" thing to give up for Lent. I think I'm going to join you in not visiting online forums for the season. :thumbsup:

Lent is fast approaching, and I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. :shrug: I’m going back and forth on this idea. Right now I’m leaning towards giving up CAF plus restricting my computer time.

I've decided to cut the internet time too.

I work on the internet... So that will have to stay... But I'm going to keep a timer.

No more than 30 minutes a day checking on Facebook and such... basically unnecessary biz!

I'm sure I'll lurk here. But my time will be cut short. It will be good for me not to have input on every topic that rattles my cage!

I'll try not to resort to responding via strictly smilies... LOL!

Also, working on building some good habits with regards to regular exercise... So, I guess that might qualify giving up sitting on my bum when I should be on the treadmil!

Prayers for all of you!!!!

EasterJoy, I do hope you'll come back and post at least on the occassion. You are often the voice of reason. Even when I don't want to hear reason!!!

I've given up CAF a couple times for Lent and will be doing it again this year. It helps me from not becoming "addicted", among other reasons. This past year, since having a baby, I've reevaluated what I've been doing, what's important/unimportant, my opinions on different subject matter, etc. I've cut down on posting to the point where I believe I'd like to leave any kind of forum altogether. I have already done this with another forum I used to be on about a year ago. Often, when I am in the process of typing especially with serious discussions, I just delete it before I even post. Basically, it's because I'm just jotting down my thoughts which should be placed in my private journal (which I did more often prior to discovering CAF) rather than post on an internet anyone can see and can twist and make assumptions over.

Although I think this outlet can be helpful, interesting and help one practice their critical thinking skills, I'm beginning to believe more and more that it can easily become detrimental depending on the subject matter. There is sometimes way too much negativity, "meanness" and borderline hatred on some of these topics. After seeing so much cruelty and hypocrisy in my own diocese towards people I personally know from those at the top either in individual parishes or at the top of the diocese, I'm just tired and disgusted by it. And here I am being a bit negative myself... which is why I like to take a break from CAF or maybe eventually just stop posting for good. I apologise for this. It just has been a tough year for some people I know and how they've been treated within the Church. I would never leave the Church for it, but I really did have to take a good break from things and distance myself from places and people so that I wouldn't become bitter and angry. There are enough people like that as it is. Life is too short and precious to be that way.

Sometimes, it can be extremely addictive.... I've spent a couple hours on here at some points and become completely disappointed in myself for spending that much time reading and typing, then deleting my thoughts when I could be doing more important things (at least important for me) with my time.

So, starting tomorrow I'm off from CAF. I might lurk once in a while, but I won't post.

And Easterjoy... I've always enjoyed reading your posts. God bless you.

Easterjoy,

Did you ever think that maybe you are doing God's work on the CAF? I have read your many post and find that you use your head for more that a hat rack. You have even sent me a private message before under my old user ID.(I had to change my id as it was deemed not nice).

Of course, you can do what you want. just my :twocents:

But what do I know. I don't even go to church anymore or belong to a parish.

I think your major lentin sacrifice should not be public. :rolleyes: Sometimes I feel as if these threads are just for attention and praize…just as the “I’m leaving forever” are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.