Leaving catholic school

My neighbor’s grandson is eleven. He is not the most enthusiastic student, but very bright and very sweet. There is a lot going on in his family with older siblings (teenagers) that most likely makes things difficult for him. The other day a student who shares his desk found a note in it that was very disrespectful to their teacher, in a threatening way. That student gave the note to his teacher. The note was very out of character for this little boy. His family is very loving, but again his older siblings are having struggles, like a lot of other families. He was punished in school but was told once the punishment was over, the incident would be forgotten.
My neighbor is devastated that his parents have decided to pull him from his catholic school and put him into public school. She thinks it will look odd to transfer right in the beginning of the year and she would prefer he stay in catholic school. I didn’t have any advice for her, other than it is the parent’s decision, but I know this is really hard for her. I am asking for prayers for the family, and if anyone has any thoughts on this topic.

Wow. I would pray that the parents can consider this move carefully - if the boy is having problems in parochial school, what might happen in a public school??? I am sure there are some good public schools somewhere, but not in my area. They are all very proud of their full-time police staff!!

Have the parents considered getting some family counseling? I know it's hard on the whole family when older teens are going through difficulties. It's not fair to the younger one to make him change schools because of stress from the other siblings.

It is going to be hard for him to fit in now, the school year is almost halfway over - and if they put him in after Christmas, doubt if it will be any better.

Were his grades OK?

Prayers for all of them, as well as your neighbor.

"his parents have decided to pull him from his catholic school and put him into public school." Regarding this...is it because of the incident?

If so, they should understand the kids mess up, schools discipline...and life goes on. It is likely a much bigger deal to the family than to the school. Even in Catholic school, worse things happen than notes of disrespect. In fact, they could use the incident to perhaps get their son some help at school to process the difficulties at home.

The grandmother also may find, however, that the parents had been considering taking him out anyway, for financial or other reasons...and are using this incident to spring board their plan.

My best advice to the grandmother is to talk to the parents about the reasons for their choice and encourage them to let him at least finish through this term. Then make the decision of where he should go after Christmas.
I'll be praying.

taben

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:219153"]
Wow. I would pray that the parents can consider this move carefully - if the boy is having problems in parochial school, what might happen in a public school??? I am sure there are some good public schools somewhere, but not in my area. They are all very proud of their full-time police staff!!

Have the parents considered getting some family counseling? I know it's hard on the whole family when older teens are going through difficulties. It's not fair to the younger one to make him change schools because of stress from the other siblings.

It is going to be hard for him to fit in now, the school year is almost halfway over - and if they put him in after Christmas, doubt if it will be any better.

Were his grades OK?

Prayers for all of them, as well as your neighbor.

[/quote]

I believe the teens are in counseling.
He does know a few kids in the public school and doesn't seem upset about the move, I think because he is embarrassed.
Again, he is very bright and I understand his standardized test scores are high but grades are not.
The public school system is good, but I have always felt kids who don't work hard get lost in the shuffle.

[quote="taben, post:3, topic:219153"]
"his parents have decided to pull him from his catholic school and put him into public school." Regarding this...is it because of the incident?

If so, they should understand the kids mess up, schools discipline...and life goes on. It is likely a much bigger deal to the family than to the school. Even in Catholic school, worse things happen than notes of disrespect. In fact, they could use the incident to perhaps get their son some help at school to process the difficulties at home.

The grandmother also may find, however, that the parents had been considering taking him out anyway, for financial or other reasons...and are using this incident to spring board their plan.

My best advice to the grandmother is to talk to the parents about the reasons for their choice and encourage them to let him at least finish through this term. Then make the decision of where he should go after Christmas.
I'll be praying.

taben

[/quote]

In the past my neighbor has mentioned how frustrated the boy's parents were about his lack of effort in school considering his standardized test scores, so I can see them not wanting to pay for a pretty expensive school for that reason.
Like I mentioned, I did tell my neighbor that ultimately it is the parents who must make the decision. I feel like the little boy will have no choice but to explain why he transferred and there is no way to make it sound like he isn't a troublemaker, which he is not. My heart goes out to the family, he really is a nice kid, typical boy- but nice kid. The older ones are nice too. Both parents work full time and the older two have a different dad who seems a little out of the picture other than providing financially.

It's his parents' business and his parents' decision. While your neighbor is venting to you she may not have the whole picture. At this point be careful that you're not being used to gossip about the parents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.