Leaving dog in car

I want to know if something I did was sin. Today, I was in a store parking lot with my Grandma and we heard a dog barking. We were wondering where the barking was coming from and it was most likely a car. We didn’t know what car it was coming from so we just went in the store. Would that be sin since we didn’t help the dog and the dog could of died? The dog was not mine and I could not see the dog I could only hear it’s barking. Was the sin in a category of killing or animal abuse?

I am pretty sure that it is not a sin.

Hotdog! That’s no sin. Indeed, as long as the dog was barking, you could be sure he was still alive.

was it hot? how hot

no, not a sin. especially since you couldn’t figure out where it was

God certainly wants us to be kind and compassionate toward all…including animals. The Gospel tells us that not a single sparrow falls to the ground without the Father’s notice. I would not be too hard on yourself, but were you to find yourself in a similar situation, it would be good to find out if an animal were in distress and to get help for that animal if necessary. You have a good heart! :heart:️ So many are heartless when it comes to animals and have no awareness at all that what they are doing is wrong.

Do you have an obligation to search and locate every barking dog that you ever hear, on the grounds that said dog might be in some danger? Surely you see how irrational that is?

Hot cars are death traps for dogs, even with windows slightly open or in the shade in temperatures as low as 70 degrees. If a dog is barking, yes he/she is alive, but it can also be a sign of distress.

The last time I saw dogs in a car was a couple of months ago, I waited for the owner to come back. I did not have my phone and was waiting for someone to walk by with a phone to help when luckily the owner showed right up. I told him to please get the dogs out which he did. He started talking about how they barked everywhere he took them so he left them in the car. I explained the heat issue - the car is much hotter than outside - but I could not tell how he felt about my doing all that. I worried for those dogs and actually still pray for them and the owner - he was upset. The one in the back that was just lying there (stopped the constant barking at me and just lay down and stopped moving) came right up to me when it got out. I honestly think I saved that dog’s life. There was another one on a leash in the front. The guy realized how hot the car was - he was freaking out.

If you have dogs, please don’t do this - don’t take the dog in the car on a hot day or on errands. Leave it at home.

Here is what the Human Society recommends if you see a dog trapped in a car:

If the owner can’'t be found, call the non-emergency number of the local police or animal control and wait by the car for them to arrive. In several states good Samaritans can legally remove animals from cars under certain circumstances, so be sure to know the laws in your area and follow any steps required.

No, that is not a sin. Breaking people’s windows because they run into a store and leave their dog in the car for a few minutes, that is a sin.

Actually here you can do that for dogs and kids. in hot cars. Ring police first though

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.