Leaving Mormonism

I’m still trying to leave Mormonism for the RCC, and with my marriage intact.

Please pray for me.

You are in my prayers.

Prayers going up for you, Sunstone.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

My prayer is with you. :thumbsup:

If you don’t mind me asking… Why is this a threat to your marriage?

Prayers.

Both you and your spouse need to make a committment not to make religion an issue in your marriage.

From what I have watched, it’s when pride masked as “my church is the true church” starts to flare, that it puts a strain on the marriage.

God bless

Prayers are on their way. Good luck. This is a very difficult road.

Some Mormon bishops have been known to encourage the Mormon spouse to divorce the “apostate” spouse.

Mormons believe that marriage and the family unit is eternal but only if those relationships are “sealed” in the Mormon temple. When someone leaves the LDS church, the family that remains Mormon often feels that the “apostate”, by rejecting Mormonism, rejects wanting to be a part of their eternal family. Family relationships often become at best strained and are never the same again. It is very difficult.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee,
Blessed art thou amongst women
and Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners, now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Yes, this is very much the case. My circumstances are making it difficult to leave quietly, as I’m in the leadership in my Mormon ward and am known in Mormon studies circles.

I’m currently the First Counselor to the Bishop in my ward. Those of you who have first hand experience with Mormons know that there is going to be a big, public “issue,” despite the fact that I have no personal ill-will for the LDS Church, have not been offended, and am not angry.

I’m just moving on.

I don’t mind your question at all. Iepuras has the right of it, although I’ve added a few details in my response.

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could be by your side during your confrontations. But the Holy Spirit will be. He is both humble and bold. I hope your Spouse has your faith too.

I think you should consider this a blessing to openly give a testimony to Jesus. The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come!” Its actually much more challenging to encourage better faith within the Catholic Church. But that is two different things. One is parting ways, while the other is convicting and embracing.

Best of luck, Brother (Sister?). I’m in the same boat myself, except I’m more than just LDS on paper. I expect this to change soon as my wife and I are being “strongly encouraged” to serve a Senior Couples Mission which I’m adamantly against, and a feel that sooner or later my hand will be forced to make active steps towards inactivity in the Church. In the past I’ve used my wife’s failing health, our old age, and extended family obligations as excuses for callings higher than Ward Organist (the capacity in which I serve today).

Over the past couple months I’ve shared with my wife my “doubts”, but I haven’t yet struck up the courage to admit full blown apostasy. Part of it lies in my uncertainty in where to go after leaving the LDS Church. I feel that I’m at an impasse in choosing between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. I feel that my wife could cope with my decision if I had a firm belief in the truth of another church to complement my firm belief in the error of the LDS. For now I only have the latter. I hope you’ll pray for me as well. :slight_smile:

Holding you and your marriage in prayer, Sunstone.

Praying for Sunstone and Brandon Call.

St. Michael the Archangel,
protect us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do you,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

May God continue to Bless you. Your in my prayers today.

Yeah, this has the potential to become messy. Does your wife know of your desire to leave Mormonism? Are you wanting to request a release from your calling? I completely understand your feelings as I felt the same way when I left. I just wanted to leave and be left alone. Unfortunately, I wasn’t left alone so I had to formally resign rather than walk away quietly.

Prayers for you too.

Your wife has ailing health and you are being pressured to be senior missionaries? That is terrible. I hope all goes well for you.

Praying. May the Lord give you strength and courage. As difficult as your current situation is, the reward is great to receive the sacraments instituted by Christ, especially the Eucharist. Prayer is inclusive of your wife coming to faith as well.

:highprayer:

Blessed Mary, Mother of God,
St. Mary Magdalene, Friend of Jesus
and Cora Evans, Servant of God,
pray for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.