Leaving out a sin in Confession

The last time I went to confession I skipped over a sin I had written down, as I thought it was the same as another I had written down, although it wasn’t. I had a feeling this was the case as Father began to assign penance, but didn’t say anything. So was my Confession invalid? I don’t think the sin was mortal: I made inappropriate comments and other people took entertainment in them and thus I lead them into sin.

Any ideas?

As they say in sports , get them next time.

The Lord knows your intent so make up any confession on your next turn.

God Bless
John 3:16

Confess the sin next time and ask your confessor. I think its a grey area when you suddenly remember a sin during confession but it’s “too late.” I’ve done it many times and am still not sure what’s right, interrupting father or waiting until my next confession. Better to ask your priest than us.

If it was a mortal sin and you skipped over it on purpose, your sins are NOT forgiven and you committed another mortal sin.

If the sins you skipped was a venial sin, as I suppose it is from your description, then don’t worry, venial sins are not necessary to be confessed.

If the sin you skipped was a mortal sin, but accidentally skipped over it or forgot, don’t worry, just confess it next time.

If it was not a mortal sin, forget it. If it was then go see Father and ask him, he can hear your confession anywhere any time except during Mass on Sundays and Holy days. You can always interrupt the Priest ( politely ) and tell him you forgot something. Better that than going all week in a tizzy.:shrug:

In a normal situation and we walk out of the confessional before we remember we forgot to tell a mortal sin, the sin has been forgiven and we can go to communion. But we have to tell the sin in our next confession.

It is not a good idea to write down your sins. Could cause a lot of harm if someone found the " list. " God doesn’t really expect you to do that sort of thing. What if you lost the paper on the street somewhere. See how bad that would be? :thumbsup:

Does anyone else every worry that you have just flat out forgotten a big sin entirely, despite your examination of conscience? Not just forgetting to mention it, but forgetting the sin completely? I have to assume that God understands I will confess it if I think of it because I am doing my best to be a good person. :slight_smile:

[quote="Antonio5, post:1, topic:298617"]
The last time I went to confession I skipped over a sin I had written down, as I thought it was the same as another I had written down, although it wasn't. I had a feeling this was the case as Father began to assign penance, but didn't say anything. So was my Confession invalid? I don't think the sin was mortal: I made inappropriate comments and other people took entertainment in them and thus I lead them into sin.

Any ideas?

[/quote]

I think you're probably fine, because that doesn't sound like a mortal sin to me.

CCC 1456 is probably most relevant here.

If you completely forget unintentionally, you’re fine. If you specifically don’t mention it, then you’re not.

[quote="Iheartcoffee, post:6, topic:298617"]
Does anyone else every worry that you have just flat out forgotten a big sin entirely, despite your examination of conscience? Not just forgetting to mention it, but forgetting the sin completely? I have to assume that God understands I will confess it if I think of it because I am doing my best to be a good person. :)

[/quote]

If a mortal sin is forgotten even though one examines well...and is never realized -such can be forgiven --can be indeed "absolved"* indirectly* in confession with the confessed sins. Assuming of course one is contrite etc and would have confessed it if one had remembered it. (and of course if one remembers later a mortal sin that was not confessed...then one is to confess it in the next confession)

These can be of interest from Jimmy Akin of CA:

jimmyakin.com/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

jimmyakin.com/2005/04/confession_vali.html

Don’t worry about it. But the next time you go to confession why not just say i forgot to mention this but i did …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.