Leaving out Creed and Confietor

Is it appropriate for the priest to leave out the Confietor and the Creed. I think that I have heard that some priests do leave out the Confietor and go straight to the Kyrie. But I thought that we always were to say the Creed.

We have several Masses and my daughter has problems going alone and wants me to go with her, so she wants to go to the later Mass. This is where I have noticed several changes. Our Pastor, nor the Nobertine priest changes the liturgy.

Also this priest had us say the prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus during the Mass. Our Pastor and another priest will have us say this prayer and others after the final blessing, but not during Mass.

I am very surprised as our parish is very traditional. I am sure that Father is not aware of the way Mass in celebrated when he is not there.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

There are three options to the Penitential Rite. If the first two are used, then, you go with the Kyrie. However, the third version already includes the Kyrie. Now, there are times, especially during Easter, when the Rite of Sprinkling may occur.

From the GIRM:

The Act of Penitence

1. Then the priest invites those present to take part in the Act of Penitence, which, after a brief pause for silence, the entire community carries out through a formula of general confession. The rite concludes with the priest’s absolution, which, however, lacks the efficacy of the Sacrament of Penance.

On Sundays, especially in the Season of Easter, in place of the customary Act of Penitence, from time to time the blessing and sprinkling of water to recall Baptism may take place.56

The Kyrie Eleison

1. After the Act of Penitence, the Kyrie is always begun, unless it has already been included as part of the Act of Penitence. Since it is a chant by which the faithful acclaim the Lord and implore his mercy, it is ordinarily done by all, that is, by the people and with the choir or cantor having a part in it.

As a rule, each acclamation is sung or said twice, though it may be repeated several times, by reason of the character of the various languages, as well as of the artistry of the music or of other circumstances. When the Kyrie is sung as a part of the Act of Penitence, a trope may precede each acclamation.

Unless there is a Baptism where the baptismal vows are renewed, there is an RCIA ritual (I think) or, it’s the Easter Vigil/Easter Sunday, the Creed is not to be omitted on Sundays.

From the GIRM:

The Profession of Faith

1. The purpose of the Symbolum or Profession of Faith, or Creed, is that the whole gathered people may respond to the word of God proclaimed in the readings taken from Sacred Scripture and explained in the homily and that they may also call to mind and confess the great mysteries of the faith by reciting the rule of faith in a formula approved for liturgical use, before these mysteries are celebrated in the Eucharist.
  1. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

If it is sung, it is begun by the priest or, if this is appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir. It is sung, however, either by all together or by the people alternating with the choir.

If not sung, it is to be recited by all together or by two parts of the assembly responding one to the other.

Now, the GIRM references don’t factor in the Easter Vigil/Easter Sunday. But, I hope this helps.

GIRM 68. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

This is where I’ve been confused. During certain rites in the Book of Blessings (which also needs to be re-translated, but that’s a topic for another thread…), it seems like the general intercessions follow the homily immediately, with no Creed between; yet, the Creed is called for on Sundays. For example, the** Order for the Blessing of Musicians within Mass** has:

1852 After the gospel reading, the celebrant in the homily, based on the sacred text and pertinent to the particular place and the people involved, explains the meaning of the celebration.

1853 The general intercessions follow, either in the form usual at Mass or in the form provided here. The celebrant concludes the intercessions with the prayer of blessing. From the following intentions those best for the occasion may be used or adapted, or other intentions that apply to the particular circumstances may be composed.

1854 With hands extended over the new ministers the celebrant says immediately:

Does this imply a Creed, or should it be omitted?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.