Leaving Satan loose

After Satan and his followers rebelled, why didn’t God cast them all into Hell and leave them locked up there? Why let Satan loose to tempt Adam & Eve and other demons to tempt humanity?

Maybe, even probably they would have disobeyed God eventually on their own anyway but why make it extra difficult?

mabey it has something to do with freewill?

didymus

After Satan and his followers rebelled, why didn’t God cast them all into Hell and leave them locked up there? Why let Satan loose to tempt Adam & Eve and other demons to tempt humanity?

Hell is not a place. It is a state of being. Satan is locked up in his state of being, which is hell.

Why God let Satan loose to tempt humanity is anybody’s guess. But humanity’s fall could have been possible just as much without Satan as with him. After all, Satan didn’t need a devil to tempt him. He was perfectly capable of tempting himself. So it would have been with Adam & Eve.

Satan is allowed to exist to that we have the choice to choose God over him (and sin)

God’s gift of free will means that we have to be able to freely choose something other than God. If there was no sin or Satan, we wouldn’t really have a choice not to choose God, right?

Sorry, that’s a little nebulous, but I’m not a Theology major (YET!)

I hate this horrible argument. What about Sodom and Gommorah? What about almost every living being during the flood? God didn’t like free will in those circumstances, did he?

I think it’s interesting the dynamic of what’s going on in this situation. The devil hates mankind and God, yet is used for mankind and God’s greater good and purpose. He’s literally playing into God’s plan, weather he wants to or not, he is used as a tool to do God’s will quite often. Take note with how Job was terrorized by him, and how upon the end being reached, proving God’s grace and glory, it was by his actions that this was made manifest. Then look to how he entered Judas to betray Christ, and again, he was used in this manner to again reveal God’s glory. I think there are times where his own free will is taken away to serve God’s purpose, and it’s really amazing how God can use even something diabolically opposed to him for his greater good.

In my opinion this is saying “God and Satan are working together and both need to exist.”

Honestly, Satan is a fabricated concept. The OT does NOT support the existence of the Satan as we know in Christianity…it wasn’t until the first century AD, when Jesus was alive, that the Christian Satan we know now was starting to develop by Jews of the time. Either God is one in the same with Satan, or they are working together, or they are of equal powers and Satan is a God as well. In my opinion those are the ONLY logical ways to look at it. If God is more powerful than Satan, and Satan tempts people, God is letting it happen. You could say it is free will, but since when is God really a huge fan of free will? He killed millions and millions of people in the OT because they didn’t follow his rules, yet he won’t destroy the most malicious character ever in existence. Give me a break. Satan is completely fabricated and logically makes absolutely not sense.

Read Genesis some time before fabricating statements like this. Clearly he’s shown to have existed. I even pointed out Job, that’s also in the OT. You are way off of your mark on this one.

hellopeople

I hate this horrible argument. What about Sodom and Gommorah? What about almost every living being during the flood? God didn’t like free will in those circumstances, did he?

He likes free will. He wants us to freely choose Him. If we don’t, there are consequences, to be sure. But he still allows us the freedom to rise above ourselves or do ourselves in. What good is freedom if we don’t have a choice to make? And what good are choices if our choices do not have consequences?

In the OT book of Isaiah he speaks about the Fall of Lucifer/Satan

Chapter 14:

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

18 All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.

19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

20 Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.

Where does it say Satan or the devil in Genesis? The snake is just a snake according to most Jews. If the snake was actually the devil, why would God punish the snake by taking away its legs? Anyway, it is only a later Christian interpretation that the snake is Satan.

As for Job, that isn’t the Christian Satan either. First of all, Satan easily contacts God and talks to him. I thought that hell was the absence of God’s grace…so how can Satan just talk to God so easily? Also, Satan obeys God in the book of Job!!! Would the Christian Satan ever obey God or be able to have a civilized conversation with him? My religious studies professor even pointed out that Satan in the book of Job is not the “Christian Satan” and the “Christian Satan” only came about soon before the birth of Jesus. My Oxford Annotated Bible also makes the same point, saying that Satan is shown to be in God’s inner circle.

OK, so you are saying that God did not allow free will in Sodom and Gommorah, but gives Satan, the most evil being ever, a free pass?

Here is the NIV translation of isiah 14:12-20…seems a bit different.

12 How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!

13 You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. [a]

14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High."

15 But you are brought down to the grave,
to the depths of the pit.

16 Those who see you stare at you,
they ponder your fate:
"Is this the man who shook the earth
and made kingdoms tremble,

17 the man who made the world a desert,
who overthrew its cities
and would not let his captives go home?"

18 All the kings of the nations lie in state,
each in his own tomb.

19 But you are cast out of your tomb
like a rejected branch;
you are covered with the slain,
with those pierced by the sword,
those who descend to the stones of the pit.
Like a corpse trampled underfoot,

20 you will not join them in burial,
for you have destroyed your land
and killed your people.
The offspring of the wicked
will never be mentioned again.

I don’t know how anyone could read this and think they are describing the Christian Satan. It is quite the stretch.

What exactly is your problem in believing that Lucifer was an Angel in heaven and fell from Grace and became known as Satan the Deciever/Divider/Slanderer

Jesus in the Gospel says he say Satan fall like lightning from Heaven,

The OT talks of the coming of messiah,and continues with the New Testament

Are you a Jew?

Why wouldnt Lucifer or Satan exist before the Incarnation?

Why couldnt he be spoken about by the prophets before Christ came to Earth?is it because you believe he doesnt exist?

Yes. I do not believe the devil exists.

Thats ok,can i ask if your a Christian or believe in Christ and the whole Bible?

Or do you take bits and pieces from the Bible (Believe only what you want to believe)(and chuck out the rest)?

I just think that the Christian Satan is not logical and cannot exist.

Do you believe there is wickedness in the world?

like Murders or lies,slander ,rapes ,sexual/physical abuse etc

you believe in Christ?

I was under the impression of Church teaching that God does not send anyone to hell, but rather that in through abandoning God one is left with eternal pain and suffering, thus choosing to go to hell on their own accord.

God has given us freewill to chose Him or otherwise, without a second choice (Satan) freewill would be pointless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.