Leaving the priesthood

If a priest wants to get out of the priesthood, what does he have to do, what is the process of it? Do they get a paper or something, do they have to tell why they want to leave the priesthood, who do they go to, can they get married in the catholic church after they leave the priesthood?

[quote="kristamilan12, post:1, topic:315200"]
If a priest wants to get out of the priesthood, what does he have to do, what is the process of it? Do they get a paper or something, do they have to tell why they want to leave the priesthood, who do they go to, can they get married in the catholic church after they leave the priesthood?

[/quote]

Probably they speak to their bishop about it. The Sacrament of Holy Orders leaves an indelible mark on the soul configuring the man to act in the person of Christ for the purpose of giving the Sacraments, so that cannot be removed. I ignore if they can later get married. Perhaps if the Bishop (or the Pope) granted the dispensation from the vow of celibacy. But I don't know if this is ever done.

In fact, I think that anyone who has become a priest has been chosen by Christ for that role, and the thought of leaving is a blow of Satan - no matter how solid the reasons may seem to him.

Laicizisation is the term you need and if you google it you will see quit a bit of information. A laicized priest receives dispensation from their commitment and that includes celibacy. Probably one of the finest men I have ever known left the priesthood to marry a wonderful woman who had been a nun. They have a beutiful family, raised their 4 children in the Catholic Church and now ave a son who is a priest.

[quote="mountee, post:3, topic:315200"]
Laicizisation is the term you need and if you google it you will see quit a bit of information. A laicized priest receives dispensation from their commitment and that includes celibacy. Probably one of the finest men I have ever known left the priesthood to marry a wonderful woman who had been a nun. They have a beutiful family, raised their 4 children in the Catholic Church and now ave a son who is a priest.

[/quote]

Hm. I take back my latest rude remark, then. This is a wonderful story!

[quote="R_C, post:4, topic:315200"]
Hm. I take back my latest rude remark, then. This is a wonderful story!

[/quote]

In fact, I think that anyone who has become a priest has been chosen by Christ for that role, and the thought of leaving is a blow of Satan - no matter how solid the reasons may seem to him.

I was happy to see your "take back". Men leave for different reasons..... some honorable and humble - not the work of Satan.

[quote="mountee, post:3, topic:315200"]

[/quote]

Wow, beautiful story!

[quote="RoseMary131, post:5, topic:315200"]
I was happy to see your "take back". Men leave for different reasons..... some honorable and humble - not the work of Satan.

[/quote]

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.