Leaving To Go Byzantine!

Hello all, I have been pondering if I should leave the ROMAN Catholic Church to go to the Eastern Rite BYZANTINE Church. Today, I finally made up my mind: I am leaving and going solely BYZANTINE.
Are any of you here Byzantine?? I believe it is more traditional and sacred, what do you think?
I appreciate your input. Thanks all.

What’s the big deal? We all accept the Pope. Are you at least Eastern at all? Half my family is Ukrainian Catholic half is Roman Catholic. Have you ever been to an Eastern Rite Church?

Oh yeah, and you will feel the spirit of Vatican II in the Eastern Catholic Rites. Thought I would mention that. Not to mention I’ve gone many times and still don’t kiss the icons and I always do the sign the Roman way while everyone else there does it the other way, and no one beats me in the parking lot. In your future will you not place your Roman history against your new Byzantine experiences, cause they are all Catholic, and as long as it is Catholic and IN UNION with John Paul II (the best man in the world) it doesn’t matter who is better or who can say more hail marys.

[quote=misericordie]Hello all, I have been pondering if I should leave the ROMAN Catholic Church to go to the Eastern Rite BYZANTINE Church. Today, I finally made up my mind: I am leaving and going solely BYZANTINE.
Are any of you here Byzantine?? I believe it is more traditional and sacred, what do you think?
[/quote]

You sound confused from the very beginning.

First, it’s “Byzantine Rite”

Within that Byzantine Rite there are over 10 differnt churches. Have you chosen one yet? Have you even attened a Divine Liturgy yet?

Please don’t let your hatred of the Novus Ordo Mass follow you to the east. You wouldn’t be doing them any favors.

[quote=mgy100]Oh yeah, and you will feel the spirit of Vatican II in the Eastern Catholic Rites. Thought I would mention that. Not to mention I’ve gone many times and still don’t kiss the icons and I always do the sign the Roman way while everyone else there does it the other way, and no one beats me in the parking lot.
[/quote]

Who said I want to “feel the spirit” of vatican II whatever that means? It is EXACTLY because I am tired of all the SPIRIT of vatican to things that I decided to go Byzantine: no protestantism there. Yes, I HAVE been to Eastern Right Churches: I LOVE them: and especially thire way of recieving Communion and their iconography.:tiphat:

Thanks all, keep the input coming.

Okay…Dominus vobiscum. :slight_smile:

[quote=Franciscum]You sound confused from the very beginning.

First, it’s “Byzantine Rite”

Within that Byzantine Rite there are over 10 differnt churches. Have you chosen one yet? Have you even attened a Divine Liturgy yet?

Please don’t let your hatred of the Novus Ordo Mass follow you to the east. You wouldn’t be doing them any favors.
[/quote]

Your post is not only ignorant and disrespectful/rude, but also rather childish. I actually will be joining the Ukrainian Byzantine Church. I spoke to the pastor today of that parish and he was rather happy with my choice. He expressed sadness that Rome has in some sectors given in to so much confusion and lost lots of sacredness. He laso told me that in the last year, 20 ROMAN CATHOLICS have decided too to join his parish, this after I told him I was tired of all the nonsense.
See, not so hard to post a normal post.:tiphat:

[quote=Church Militant]Okay…Dominus vobiscum. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank you for your great and mature post.:slight_smile:

I’ve been quiet, but you actually bring shame upon our faith, especially the way you have posted in the last few weeks. And you can’t compare the Tridentine Mass (which you have done nothing but horribly encourage, and which I attend most of the time and simply can’t stomach your reasoning about why to attend it) with an Eastern Rite, all are the same in theory, the Pauline, Tridentine, the Eastern Masses, they all have valid consecration. Does this mean you won’t becoming around here anymore? That would be great, because no one likes being put down and being expected to agree to all of your horribly supported believes.

[quote=mgy100]I’ve been quiet, but you actually bring shame upon our faith, especially the way you have posted in the last few weeks. And you can’t compare the Tridentine Mass (which you have done nothing but horribly encourage, and which I attend most of the time and simply can’t stomach your reasoning about why to attend it) with an Eastern Rite, all are the same in theory, the Pauline, Tridentine, the Eastern Masses, they all have valid consecration. Does this mean you won’t becoming around here anymore? That would be great, because no one likes being put down and being expected to agree to all of your horribly supported believes.
[/quote]

All, this is a good example of a very angry person: ummm, maybe some counseling for anger management helps here?:hmmm: Oh, yes all of us here who are traditional: mgy100 says :" And you can’t compare the Tridentine Mass(which you have done nothing but horribly encourage, and which I attend most of the time and simply cannot stomach your reasoning about why to attend it)" DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE HERE???

[quote=mgy100]I’ve been quiet, but you actually bring shame upon our faith, especially the way you have posted in the last few weeks. And you can’t compare the Tridentine Mass (which you have done nothing but horribly encourage, and which I attend most of the time and simply can’t stomach your reasoning about why to attend it) with an Eastern Rite, all are the same in theory, the Pauline, Tridentine, the Eastern Masses, they all have valid consecration. Does this mean you won’t becoming around here anymore? That would be great, because no one likes being put down and being expected to agree to all of your horribly supported believes.
[/quote]

It would seem that his/her posts are born out of frustration from viewing the Church only in the most reductionist and stultified position imaginable. It must be pretty tough.

Maybe if we didn’t respond, the embarassing (and at times irratating) posts would end?

I’m a Latin, but from what I’ve read, the Byzantine bishop will interview you for your change of rite.

However, be sure that your change of rite is because you are drawn to the Eastern spirituality and due to a true love of their ways. You have a bigger chance of being denied if your motive is dislike or dissatisfaction with the Latin Rite.

Second, you can change rites only once in your life, so be absolutely sure of your decision.

That said, why not just attend the Byzantine Divine Liturgy at your nearest Byzantine Catholic parish without changing rites? It satisfies your Sunday obligations, and you are free to attend it any and all times.

M.

I hope you find peace wherever you go.

Blessings to you at Christmas and always.

Love & Prayers,

[quote=misericordie]Hello all, I have been pondering if I should leave the ROMAN Catholic Church to go to the Eastern Rite BYZANTINE Church. Today, I finally made up my mind: I am leaving and going solely BYZANTINE.
[/quote]

Glory be to Jesus Christ!
(Official Byzantine greeting)

Welcome to our Byzantine rite and still be in communion with the Pope in Rome!
I believe I have the best of the Catholic Church praising our Lord in the spiritual East and the organizational and apolostolic succession of the West. John Paul II is a true Shepherd of Jesus and a future Saint.

I have always have been Byzantine since baptism but my mother placed me and my brothers in Roman rite schools. I have expeirenced both major rites. Yet, I am drawn and sent where my spiritual life began.

Just go to other posts here that discuss the Byzantine Rite and you will find many others in the Eastern Catholic Church.

Go with God!
Edwin

[/quote]

I’m sure you are aware that you can’t just “decide to become Byzantine.” Only through Marriage or an involved process requiring permission of both Bishops can a person switch. I would be interested in hearing about your experience of the process.

I’m sure if ByzCath and Irish Melkite were here they’d ell you you’re making a huge mistake joiningthe Byzantine Catholic Church in America just because you don’t enjoy the Missa Normativa of the Latin Church.

I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed once the temporary emotional thrill of Eastern Catholicism’s seeming esotericism wears off on you. There’s an entire cultural and theological shift you’ll have to make that, quite frankly, I don’t think you’re preapred to do.

Only through Marriage . . . can a person switch.

I don’t think that marriage automatically effects switich; it just makes the process go along easier for the wife. And even without formally switching, I think the wife is dispensed from her obligations as a Latin and may instead follow the disciplines of her husband’s Church.

[quote=DominvsVobiscvm]I’m sure if ByzCath and Irish Melkite were here they’d ell you you’re making a huge mistake joiningthe Byzantine Catholic Church in America just because you don’t enjoy the Missa Normativa of the Latin Church.

[/quote]

You are absolutely correct on this on.

Not likeing the Mass of the Latin Catholic Church is no reason to change.

You said that you are considering a change to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Have you been attending there long? Do you know Ukrainian? The majority of their parishes only do the sung/chanted Divine Liturgy in Ukrainian, the english Divine Liturgy is recited, very said. I will also add that over all the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is very nationalistic to the point of also ghettoizing themselves. Just something to watch especially if you move to a new area someday in the future.

I would say that if you are truely in love with the Byzantine Traditions and Spirituality then the Melkite Greek Catholic Church might be a better way to go but there is also my church, the Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church.

I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed once the temporary emotional thrill of Eastern Catholicism’s seeming esotericism wears off on you. There’s an entire cultural and theological shift you’ll have to make that, quite frankly, I don’t think you’re preapred to do.

I would also agree with this.

This may be a case of you running from the Latin Church to a Byzantine Church rather than you actually having a fit in a Byzantine Church.

I have found that in the past, most people run from something rather than to something.

Another concern is that you might feel at home in a Byzantine parish but not realize that your comfort level is due to the latinizations that are still present in the parish. Do they kneel? Do they recite the filoque? Those are just two examples of latinizations. As our churches return to their traditions those things will go away and the parish may start to feel more foregin to you.

I don’t think that marriage automatically effects switich; it just makes the process go along easier for the wife. And even without formally switching, I think the wife is dispensed from her obligations as a Latin and may instead follow the disciplines of her husband’s Church.

Marriage can automatically effect a switch.

When a byzantine male marries the marriage should take place in his parish, when a byzantine female marries the marriage can take place in her parish (I believe this is due to a concession Rome made to try and make up for the past issue). Now when the marriage takes place there is a lot of paper work and one of those papers is an offical change of church which requires no approvals from the bishops as would a change such as this. If the non-byzantine in the marriage signs this paper they offically change churches but it is not required. At least this is what I have been told by many byzantine priests.

As for this change, a letter will needs to be written to your current Latin bishop requesting a change which he may not allow and a letter needs to be written to the recieveing Byzantine bishop and he may not accept you.

All depends on what you write, if you include anything about not liking the Mass you will be denied.

Here’s my recommendation: go and enjoy the Ukrainian Church. Be a part of their spiritual life. live there for two or three years before you decide if you want to change Ritual Churches. You can only change once. There’s nothing that will restrict your attending the Ukrainian Church and remaining a Roman Catholic (it’s done all the time).

But, changing Churches to escape from perveived problems in the Latin Church is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Of the Byzantine Churches the Ukrainian is, perhaps, the most Latinized (the rosary has long been a part of their tradition, but is not part of the tradition of the other Byzantine Churches, even though many members may pray the rosary). However, don’t expect the Church to start offering such traditional Latin devotions as Holy Hours, Adoration with Benediction, and so on. Those are also not part of our Eastern heritage.

Since this is an Eastern post, I’ll sign as I do in the East:

Fr. Deacon Edward

In addition to my eariler post…

My pastor stated recently that the male/husband of the family determines what the spritual upbringing the family will be. And for the woman to change rites must either take place by marrying a Byzantine rite male , or petition the Eastern Rite Bishop.

However, to runaway from the Roman Rite is NOT a valid reason. If you are having a problem with something going on within the Roman rite, find a way to solve the problem from within. If there is another Roman parish that shares your ideals and orthodox to Rome, then go there.
As posted above, if you do still decide to leave the Roman RIte, attend a Byzaninte RIte chruch for a year or so and then decide.
In any case, welcome again BUT let this be an inspiration by grace from God and NOT for your own desires.

Go with God!
Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.