Leaving to volunteer for 2 years

I am going to a country in sub-saharan Africa for the next 2 years to volunteer with the Peace Corps. I am Catholic, and I am fairly certain that I will not be able to go to mass in that time. Is there any way I should prepare specifically, and is it a sin to miss mass for all of those Sundays? Thank you for your time!

[quote="VolunteerSusan, post:1, topic:329224"]
I am going to a country in sub-saharan Africa for the next 2 years to volunteer with the Peace Corps. I am Catholic, and I am fairly certain that I will not be able to go to mass in that time. Is there any way I should prepare specifically, and is it a sin to miss mass for all of those Sundays? Thank you for your time!

[/quote]

I would talk to your Priest about that. Not knocking the Peace Corps but are there not Catholic organizations you can join who do the same? You could provide physical aid to others while at the same time bringing to them the Lord and providing Spiritual aid? Just a thought?

:thumbsup:

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:2, topic:329224"]
I would talk to your Priest about that. Not knocking the Peace Corps but are there not Catholic organizations you can join who do the same? You could provide physical aid to others while at the same time bringing to them the Lord and providing Spiritual aid? Just a thought?

[/quote]

I mean, I personally see no problem with you joining the Peace Corps as opposed to a Catholic volunteer program.

I mean, I have no idea, but I would think there are possibly communities out there who could benefit from volunteer assistance that might not be receptive to religious groups and be offended by good-intentioned attempts at conversion.

Sure, nothing wrong with promoting Catholicism, but that might not be the OP's goal. It's possible that there are certain charitable goals that might be hindered by association with any particular religion.

Now I'm not stating that as fact or anything, but that's just a thought. I'm just imagining if I were in a situation of some sort of need and those with the ability to help me were pushing religious ideologies at me and trying to convert me away from Catholicism, I might not appreciate as much or be as receptive to their assistance.

Anyway, I can't speak for Catholic doctrine about mass attendance; I'll leave that up to everybody else.

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:2, topic:329224"]

[/quote]

Now just what would it say about Catholics if no Catholic joined the Peace Corps, a respected American volunteer institution, because it wasn't Catholic? This is not a religious organization, it is an American government sponsored one, and we are Americans as well as Catholics.

To the OP--thank you for serving in this manner, and although it isn't the ideal situation if there is no Catholic church available, God does not demand the impossible, and the Church does not place any restrictions on our travels.

I understand that Catholicism is growing exponentially in sub-Saharan Africa, so perhaps Mass will not be that hard to find.

The Church does not ask us to do the impossible. If Mass is not available to you, and you are therefore not able to meet your obligation, it is generally not a sin. I would suggest speaking to your priest about it, because he can give you some suggestions for your trip for prayer (before and during) and spiritual preparation before you go.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! :)

Having served as a volunteer for 2 years in sub Saharan Africa (Ghana) you will probably find that you wont be too far from a Catholic mission station. You may have to travel through the bush for quite a few miles to reach a mission station in a pick-up truck but that is all part of the experience. These 2 years you are about to embark on will influence you for the rest of your life. When you experience real poverty and live real poverty and experience malaria, dysentery and other little surprises a very strange thing happens......you will recognise real happiness and see God everywhere...you will realise how shallow our western lifestyle is. I only wish I could go back!!..you are one lucky person. DONT WORRY you will get to Holy Mass. God take care of you.

[quote="TARSUS_PADDY, post:8, topic:329224"]
I only wish I could go back!!.

[/quote]

Why can't you go back?

Now there is a simple question that is very profound. In my case it would be “why can’t you go?”, which can be applied to so many situations in life.

It doesn't matter how you phrase the question. Fact is I'm really ancient now with a lot of responsibilities and volunteering is really for young energetic people with a mission in life. Volunteering for 2 years overseas service is the ultimate test in charity and spiritual stamina for young people and I highly recommend it! God Bless those who are thinking about doing it.

[quote="CatholicRaven, post:7, topic:329224"]
The Church does not ask us to do the impossible. If Mass is not available to you, and you are therefore not able to meet your obligation, it is generally not a sin. I would suggest speaking to your priest about it, because he can give you some suggestions for your trip for prayer (before and during) and spiritual preparation before you go.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I’m not the one said, “I wish I could go back.”

[quote="Timothysis, post:13, topic:329224"]
I'm not the one said, "I wish I could go back."

[/quote]

:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.