Lectio Divina: Does anyone pray like this anymore?

Though I have always known about Lectio Divina, I never really got into the habit of praying this way as often as I do now. I really have learned an appreciation for the method, as well as for Scriptures, practicing Lectio Divina.

Does anyone still pray using Lectio Divina anymore?

BTW, if anyone is not familiar with the term, you can read about it at:

examiner.com/x-9052-Orlando-Roman-Catholic-Examiner~y2009m8d14-What-is-Lectio-Divina

It may be that you are already practicing it without knowing the term for it.

Pax Christi!

Um, I was just thinking this very thing the other day. It is one of the prayers that I engage fully during my morning prayer time. I was practicing this method of prayer before I learned its name :wink:

My spiritual director recommended this to me a couple of days ago (we have only meet a couple of times, she does not know all of my practices as of yet), so I would say that it is still on the brain and hopefully being put into practice.

I too have grown an appreciation for LD. It is why I can truly believe, and truly describe the Holy Scripture as living. I feel such a present interaction when I pray this way with our Lord.

M

I am a Benedictine Oblate and along with the liturgy of the hourse, lectio divina is part of our daily prayer commitment.

This diocese invited all parishes to send representatives to learn about lectio divina, to become facilitators and promoters of this practice in their parishes so most parishes so it is becoming more widely known and practiced.

I even saw an article on lectio divina in a popular magazine for youth group leaders, Group, published under evangelical auspices

How do Oblates differ from Third Orders? I have heard that Third Orders usually practice Lectio Divina as well.

I am not very familiar with Oblates, does that mean that you live near a monastery and participate in their prayer life, and other parts of their ministry? [That is what I thought it meant…forgive me if I’m wrong]

LD is my favorite form of prayer. I am giving a talk on LD on October 10 for a youth group. I am looking forward to it and hope that the teens become inspired and excited to pray using LD. Thank you St. Benedict!

I do Lectio Divina every night as a prelude to Centering Prayer. I have found that this form of scriptural reading has deepened my prayer life.

The Lay Carmelite Community I belong to does group Lectio Divina every month at our regular meeting, and is encouraged to use it alone during their private prayer time, which is in addition to the Liturgy of the Hours.

I hope you mean Contemplative Prayer, and not Centering Prayer, which is incompatible with Christian, including Catholic, spirituality.

There is currently a ban on discussing this topic in depth in these forums (see Sticky at the head of this forum), but here is an article from Catholic Answers “This Rock” magazine that explains it very clearly. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

The Danger of Centering Prayer

Yes of course :slight_smile:

Great quotes from Pope Benedict XVI:

“Note what Saint Jerome said in this regard: “Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” (PL 24,17; cf Dei Verbum, 25). A time-honoured way to study and savour the word of God is lectio divina which constitutes a real and veritable spiritual journey marked out in stages. After the lectio, which consists of reading and rereading a passage from Sacred Scripture and taking in the main elements, we proceed to meditatio. This is a moment of interior reflection in which the soul turns to God and tries to understand what his word is saying to us today. Then comes oratio in which we linger to talk with God directly. Finally we come to contemplatio. This helps us to keep our hearts attentive to the presence of Christ whose word is “a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts” (2 Pet 1:19). Reading, study and meditation of the Word should then flow into a life of consistent fidelity to Christ and his teachings.”
(Message to the Youth of World Youth Day 9 April 2006)

“Among the many fruits of this biblical springtime I would like to mention the spread of the ancient practice of Lectio divina or “spiritual reading” of Sacred Scripture. It consists in pouring over a biblical text for some time, reading it and rereading it, as it were, “ruminating” on it as the Fathers say and squeezing from it, so to speak, all its “juice”, so that it may nourish meditation and contemplation and, like water, succeed in irrigating life itself.

One condition for Lectio divina is that the mind and heart be illumined by the Holy Spirit, that is, by the same Spirit who inspired the Scriptures, and that they be approached with an attitude of “reverential hearing”.” Angelus Nov 6 2005

oblates are offered to a particular monastery…tertiaries part of the various orders

I love LD and frequently encourage it for others.

and of course can can add that it need not be the four steps as normally described…as 1…2…3…4…the ancients were quite free…as are we. But of course they are a great guide :wink:

I look forward to the Popes post synod letter on Scripture…

This book as some great stuff in it on it

frjacquesphilippe.com/books/called_to_life.html

and some here too

frjacquesphilippe.com/books/time_for_god.html

Quotes:

frjacquesphilippe.com/themes/lectio_divina.html

+There has been considerable interest expressed in Lectio Divina (divine reading) here at CAF . . . below is some material I posted on another thread where we were exploring and contrasting prayer and Lectio Divina experiences of the soul in its communion with our Wonderful God . . . perhaps for anyone new to Lectio Divina this might help a bit in understanding the term . . .

Pray:gopray2:er is essentially the heart of one’s soul “talking” to its God . . . on the other hand . . . meditation is taught in Sacred :bible1: Scripture and by Holy Mother Church as essentially being the heart of one’s soul “listening” to its God . . . the ultimate goal of these actions of the soul being that at the center . . . of the deep interior quiet within the heart of the soul . . . the soul enters into . . . *constant holy conversation and communion with its God *. . .

Lectio Divina (divine reading) is perhaps the clearest most well lit holy pathway for the soul to “listen” to its God . . . essentially it is encountering God in the reading of a literary level of holy writings in Christendom believed to be especially blessed and anointed of God . . . first order and always primary of which is God’s **Holy Word **. . . Sacred :bible1: Scripture . . . and which group of writings can also include The Holy Rule of St. Benedict . . . The Catechism of the Catholic Church . . . writings of the Fathers and Saints of the Church, etc., . . . and as such . . . when prayer:gopray2:fully read the . . . **Holy Spirit **. . . Wonderful Counselor of Our God . . . is abundantly available to help regarding the reading and understanding of same . . .

The holy Benedictine monk Archabbot Douglas R. Nowicki , O.S.B. of the Saint Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, Pennsylvania here in the United States . . . recommends that we . . . *slow down radically *. . . when reflecting on inspired material . . . so as to . . . ***open up freely ***. . . to the treasury of insights contained therein . . . he goes on further to share with beautiful simplicity:

[INDENT]Lectio Divina (divine reading)
Archabbot Douglas R. Nowicki , O.S.B. (Order of St. Benedict)

[INDENT]“It is the **monastic insight **that reading, if it be authentic, cannot be undertaken simply with the eyes and the mind. Rather it must involve the whole person: mind, heart, body and spirit. It is reading not so much for information as for formation, that is, for encounter with the living God in this moment in such a way that one’s heart :heart: catches fire and one’s life is transformed … In St. Benedict’s day reading a sacred or spiritual text was practiced not so much for the sake of ‘information,’ but rather in order to be ‘formed’: that is, to be inwardly changed or shaped. …

Thus the aim of lectio divina (divine reading), i.e., pondering the material in a slow, prayer:gopray2:ful way, is to dispose ourselves to welcome God’s ever-present grace and His efforts to conquer our hearts and transform us more and more into a holy people . . . ”
[/INDENT]

[size=]. . . :coffeeread: . . .[/size]
CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCHPart One: The Profession of Faith

Article 2 - THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION

81 Sacred Scripture is **the speech of God **as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit.

Article 3 - SACRED SCRIPTURE

104 In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it ** not** as human word, "but as what it really is, the Word of God."

[quote]In the sacred books,
the Father who is in heaven
comes lovingly :heart: to meet his children,
and talks with them.

[/quote]

[/INDENT]

**Great Stuff!!! Thanks to all for sharing these wonderful resources and insights from your experiences with LD…:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.