Lectio Divina?

Dare I ask for a modern “How to” manual for such a spiritual exercise?

Dare I ask for a deeply spiritual work by one of the great contemplatives of Catholic history and presume to be able to approach such a work at their level?

Do I even know what I am asking? Probably not.

But the Holy Spirit does, and He will bring somone to this thread with a reply, pointing me to exactly what I need.

And if not, I’ll go to a lectio divina retreat at the monastery and learn from the brothers. And I’ll wish that I didn’t have to leave.

-Tim-

Hi Tim:

This will get you started. There is nothing in Lectio Divina to be intimidating. Archbishop Thomas Collins, from Toronto, has written an amazing book on the subject, and there are some videos that he has done in the link that I am sending you, that will help you to understand Lectio Divina better. I went to see Archbishop Collins speak about his book a couple of months ago, and have read the book. Pretty amazing!

archtoronto.org/events_news/lectio_video_intro.html

Ah! I see that the Holy Spirit, in not giving me the title of the book, wishes me to work toward my faith. :smiley:

Listening to the video now.

“Pathway to our Hearts” by the Archbishop has been ordered. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pathway to Our Hearts
ISBN: 1594712654
$12.95

Reclining at table, resting in Jesus’ bosom… Not intimidated at all.

Come Holy Spirit. Come now.

-Tim-

Ooops! Glad you found the title of the book! I think you will enjoy it!

Peace,

Del

To the OP,

Yes, you are called to this spiritual exercise. Many of the early church fathers wrote about the value of Lectio Divina. May our Lord bless your efforts. The retreat at the Monastery sounds interesting…

There’s a concise introduction to lectio divina here: saintandrewsabbey.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=35

It’s really a very simple form of prayer…unless you try to make it complicated.

“Lectio Divina and the Practice of Teresian Prayer,” by Fr. Sam Anthony Morello OCD, is a very good introduction.

Agreed :slight_smile:

And here’s a link

discalcedcarmelites.net/docs/Lectio_Divina_and_Praxis_of_Teresian_Prayer.pdf

Dave :slight_smile:

I personally enjoyed “Lectio Matters” by Sr. Meg Funk OSB. It was an intellectual but practical read. :smiley:

A PDF. Wonderful! I’ll read it tonight before I go to adoration.

Much thanks to all who posted.

The monastery website is trappist.net. There is a link for the retreat schedule if you are interested. My first experience touching the spiritual/contemplative side of our faith was at that monastery, and I left part of my heart there. timhollingworth.blogspot.com/2010/10/weekend-of-peace.html tells the story.

-Tim-

Here is an interesting resource to learn about lectio divina at home,
valyermo.com/ld-art.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_Divina

Of course, if you want to learn from nuns or monks in a monastery that would be excellent:thumbsup:

I love lectio divina

I ordered two book on Amazon concerning ‘Lectio Divina’ just recently ; 1 month ago.
I peroused all the titles and read all the reviews.

Too Deep for Words-Rediscovering Lectio Divina by Thelma Hall published 1988
I would give this 3 stars
okay; , but just okay; she mentions a few people in the book who are a bit questionable(new path/age Catholics), but this was before the internet and being able to check up on people. Although I think Thelma Hall is completely orthodox. I belive she is now deceased. Presents lectio divina as a ‘how to’, not as a ‘how not to’; 100 page book, but only 55 pages are on Lectio, the rest is a directory of bible verses (listed by verse numbers only) and categorized by shared topics. According to Thelma Hall, Lectio Divina can be practiced by jumping around to select text/verses. Which may be seriously in error!

Sacred Reading-The Art of Lectio Divina by Michael Casey 1996
I would give this 5 stars
good solid excellent work; many quotes from saints and reputable people.
The definitive ‘Lectio Divina’ . Book differs from the Thelma Hall one, as it presents Lectio Divina as the monks,monastics, etc have practiced it. You are not to jump around to select quotes. It makes the case that it should be practiced on an entire book of the Bible, from front to beginning. 120 page book, none of which is a directory of bible verses.

Until I read Michael Casey’s book, I didnt realize any shortcomings of Thelma Halls book and there are shortcomings

I also ordered this: The Catholic Prayer Bible: Lectio Divina Edition at Amazon hasn’t arrived yet.
Hopefully it is something good.

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20100930_verbum-domini_en.html#The_God_Who_Speaks

There are a number of good sources out there…do not remember all the names at the moment.

Fr. Jacques Philippe has some on it in his books such as in Called to Life

frjacquesphilippe.com/

excerpts frjacquesphilippe.com/themes/lectio_divina.html

Yesterday, I did my first Lectio Divina.

When I first started exploring Catholicism, I was such a skeptical scoffer. “Why must there be an official Latin phrase for just reading the Bible?” I asked.

Well yesterday I read the the first book of Romans then chose two verses to focus on.

So first I read (lectio), then I really thought about the verses (Meditatio). Meditating on the verses had the positive effect of me committing them to memory, so that was cool.

Then I prayed (oratio) and I have to say, praying in light of those verses was really beautiful and I felt a deep connection to God. I didn’t want to stop.

Then I just focused on God (contemplatio).

Next thing you know it was 6 AM because I fell asleep. :smiley:

My dreams were lovely, I was singing in an old choir of mine. Ever woke up with a song on your lips?

So anyway, is this basically how I’m supposed to do it?

Dear TrueLight,

An excellent help is HERE. It is a brief but excellent treatment of how Lectio Divina can really be for anyone a true “Encounter with Christ in Scripture”.

May the Lord enable all of us to come into His Holiness to which we are all uniquely and universally called. :slight_smile:

What a great post. Thanks so m uch for sharing it. I am still working on my Lectio Divina. It is an Oblate requirement.:slight_smile:

Dear Luigi,

Since your post (quoted above) came directly after my post, I wasn’t sure if you were referring to what I posted or to the original post. :slight_smile: At any rate, thanks for your reply because it gives me another opportunity to post this link again for all to learn more about the book, Encountering Christ in Scripture with Lectio Divina; see HERE . At the website is this description:

For Catholics - For all Christians

This little book is written first for Catholics, by a Catholic. But it is offered also for all Christians, by a fellow Christian who used to be a non-Catholic. All Christians, including of course Catholics, find in Holy Scripture the true and trustworthy words of God meant to reveal God to us, and to draw us into Him in Christ. In the book are a few recommendations specific to us in the Catholic Faith, but the method of Lectio Divina in general developed in the Church long before the word “Protestant” ever entered our vocabulary! Lectio remains a gift for us all.

When I read your post and your comment about Lectio Divina being a requirement for all Oblates of St. Benedict, I thought to myself that in a real sense Lectio Divina needs to be a requirement for all disciples of Christ. How can we follow One we do not know intimately, and how can we get to know Him if we do not listen to His Word?

May His Word go out into all the world that all may know, love and serve Him!

Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
Michael Casey, OCSO

Reading with God: Lectio Divina
David Foster, OSB

Holy Reading
Innocenzo Gargano, OSB

The three books above are all great resources for Lectio Divina. I came across this thread while searching on the subject and figured others might find these helpful.

Peace,

The OSCO works are clearly superior. :smiley:

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.