Lectio Divina?

Does anyone know of a good book on the Lectio Divina that is NOT!!! written by M. Basil Pennington? I know this author is New Age-y and writes questionable material, and this specific book is lacking an Imprimatur, both of which are red flags for me.

Make sure you read the section in Pope Benedict XVI;s AE

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20100930_verbum-domini_en.html#The_God_Who_Speaks

While I do not recommend the works of the author you noted…

I should note that it will be rare to have an imprimatur on a book on Lectio Divina. Imprimaturs are only required on certain kinds of books. So do not limit yourself to only those that do (which is prob. 0).

frjacquesphilippe.com/books/called_to_life.html

(frjacquesphilippe.com/books/time_for_god.html on mental prayer in general)

I know there is one done by Ascention Press as I recall and one done by The Word Among Us…Also one by Masini From Alba House.–I have not read them but they may be something to check out (some I have read parts of)

There is one that is very interesting (started to read it…but I read so many different books I did not finish…) that gets even into the Patristics etc…but I will have to try to put my hands on it. By I think a Cardinal…last name started with M. I think…

Some other Quotes from Pope Benedict XVI on Lectio Divina (again also read the doc above)

“Note what Saint Jerome said in this regard: “Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” (PL 24,17; cf Dei Verbum, 25). A time-honoured way to study and savour the word of God is lectio divina which constitutes a real and veritable spiritual journey marked out in stages. After the lectio, which consists of reading and rereading a passage from Sacred Scripture and taking in the main elements, we proceed to meditatio. This is a moment of interior reflection in which the soul turns to God and tries to understand what his word is saying to us today. Then comes oratio in which we linger to talk with God directly. Finally we come to contemplatio. This helps us to keep our hearts attentive to the presence of Christ whose word is “a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts” (2 Pet 1:19). Reading, study and meditation of the Word should then flow into a life of consistent fidelity to Christ and his teachings.”
(Message to the Youth of World Youth Day 9 April 2006)

“Among the many fruits of this biblical springtime I would like to mention the spread of the ancient practice of Lectio divina or “spiritual reading” of Sacred Scripture. It consists in pouring over a biblical text for some time, reading it and rereading it, as it were, “ruminating” on it as the Fathers say and squeezing from it, so to speak, all its “juice”, so that it may nourish meditation and contemplation and, like water, succeed in irrigating life itself.

One condition for Lectio divina is that the mind and heart be illumined by the Holy Spirit, that is, by the same Spirit who inspired the Scriptures, and that they be approached with an attitude of “reverential hearing”.” Angelus Nov 6 2005

Here is one:

, A Manual for the Prayerful Reading of the BibleLectio Divina by Rev. Fr. Gabriel Mestre (2010)

It does state that it has been granted the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, though it peculiarly does not give the dates they were granted (as it usually does).

It uses the Good News Translation of the Bible, though. :ehh:

So far, I’ve only read Chapter 6, which takes you through the steps of Lectio Divina. That part is really well done. I can’t speak to the rest of the book yet.

Anyone have a link to online instructions?

Oblates are required to pray it, but all the online spots that I find are a tad sketchy.

This is a good guide from a Carmelite perspective.

Here is an on-line series of video clips of a presentation. The author also offers a short e-book for Kindle or Nook here. Definitely not New Age; traditional Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.