Lector needs help! How do I pronounce this word?

From today's vigil reading:

When Paul reached Antioch in **Pisidia **and entered the synagogue...

Thank you! And Merry Christmas!!!!

****-ID-eeya

Oh, that's so funny--I have to edit, because of course the first syllable is a vulgar synonym for urination, and it got asterisked!

Let's try p!ss-ID-eeya

It closer to say

peace - ID - eeya

It closer to say

peace - ID - eeya

And MUCH easier to pronounce than "asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-ID-eeya" :p

Dictionary.com has this:

Pisidia  
Spelled Pronunciation [pi-sid-ee-uh, pahy-sid-ee-uh]

– noun an ancient country in S Asia Minor: later a Roman province

The Merriam-Webster site has a feature where you can hear the pronunciation.

Here: m-w.com/dictionary/Pisidia Then click on the red speaker, turn your computers speakers up and listen to it as many times as you need to.

Brenda V.

Brenda V ~ That is soooo cool & will come in so handy!! There are always words I'm not sure how to pronouce!!!

Thanks All!!! Merry Christmas!!!!

What always cracks me up as a convert, is that coming from an American "Bible "church background, we have a way of saying all those difficult names, and I heard them a lot. When I became Catholic, I heard a whole new set of pronunciations. Turns out those were Irish Catholic pronunciations, and now that the Irish priest has been replaced by an American one, we get a third set.

I generally peruse the options, and if what I'm used to saying is among the "official" options, I go with it. I think the most important thing is to pick one and stick with it, even if you trip over it the first time, so that people know you're still talking about the same person/place.

Can't remember exactly when it was, but a few weeks ago one of the readings was just full of tongue twisting names. The lector was stumbling all over herself trying to pronounce them. I spoke to her after mass, and she confessed that she had been running late that morning and didn't even look at the reading before mass. I bet she never does that again.

[quote="rick43235, post:9, topic:180775"]
Can't remember exactly when it was, but a few weeks ago one of the readings was just full of tongue twisting names. The lector was stumbling all over herself trying to pronounce them. I spoke to her after mass, and she confessed that she had been running late that morning and didn't even look at the reading before mass. I bet she never does that again.

[/quote]

Yikes! This is one of my huge fears.. that I would get up there and not know how to say any of it. I practice beforehand at least 25 times. My family makes fun of me!!

[quote="yellowbird, post:10, topic:180775"]
Yikes! This is one of my huge fears.. that I would get up there and not know how to say any of it. I practice beforehand at least 25 times. My family makes fun of me!!

[/quote]

Oh, let them make fun of you ;), my daughter used to read at the LifeTeen Mass and was a Thespian so she knew the value of rehearsal (practice), she would practice the readings the day before so she had the strange names down!

:tsktsk:Well I am not sure I share every ones seditment on this subject. For myself When I have a reading to do I spend time in prayer everyday and ask our lord to prepare the hearts of the assembly to receive his word and then I ask him to use me his humble servant and let his Holy Spirit to speak through me.
I read it over and over and over so I am familar with the passage and then I am in prayer again. as a Lector you are proclaiming the Holy Word of GOD to ppl some who never pen their Bible and other who do. any tim eI am unsure I visit severql Biblical website that will tell you how to prounce every word in the lector book.
I can always tell when someone has not even taken the time to even read through it one time. and it is very sad if you are not willing to take the time to get familar with your reading why do you want to read durning the mass?????
I would encourage everyone who is a lector no matter how great a reader or speaker to spend some time to familize your self with the passage you are fixing to read and also let GOD speak through you. :tsktsk:
To me being a lector is more of a calling in That GOD will call you to do this for hm not the other way around.
I would think in other Churches that there is some sort of training for the prospective lectors. Our Church does have training and there are always a lot of ppl who want to be lectors, but unfortuntaly they are not cut out for the Job And yes we give everyone the chance to be a lector, but if you can not do the required job which is to proclaim the Holy Word of GOD then you are not scheduled anymore. :shrug:
I guess what I am saying is that alot of ppl want to read but are not willing to put the time into reading and being a good lector. A nd then there are the ppl who just think they can read kinda like singing :shrug: Not know too many ppl who not able ot carry a tune that are asked to sing a solo in Church lol I have been really doing a lot of prayful reading and working on hte readings this past week only have 2 for new years and then the 2nd the next time i read so I have to read a whole lot for there are some ppl in our Church who do not like ppl who stumble over words or can not understand the lector who is reading. and yeas a lot of them are older ppl who may have a harder time following a reader who is not prepared.
Any way just my thoughts on how to be a better lector.:D

[quote="EvelynEVF, post:8, topic:180775"]
What always cracks me up as a convert, is that coming from an American "Bible "church background, we have a way of saying all those difficult names, and I heard them a lot. When I became Catholic, I heard a whole new set of pronunciations. Turns out those were Irish Catholic pronunciations, and now that the Irish priest has been replaced by an American one, we get a third set.

I .

[/quote]

just wait until you are blessed with a priest from Africa, Mexico, India, the Philippines, or Viet Nam. I do love it when I have occasion to be at an ecumenical gathering and hear those bible proper names from a Baptist preacher in a Texas drawl.

[quote="0217701, post:12, topic:180775"]
:tsktsk:Well I am not sure I share every ones seditment on this subject.

[/quote]

First, welcome to CAF but I suggest you be more careful in scolding when scolding is not necessary. I have a feeling you did not read the posts that carefully! Not a one of the posters was saying to not be prepared, not a one! They did talk about those who were not and how some accents changed the pronunciation of words so they had to listen harder.

Brenda V.

Over the 30 years that I have been a lector, I have been taught proper pronunciations of difficult words many times. Each time, it is a different "proper" pronunciation. If it is a word that I have heard people in my parish use, I say it that way. Otherwise I just say it how I think it sounds, especially a word that does not really matter (the priest is not going to preach on exactly which town Paul went to). The most important thing is to say it firmly and smoothly, not to detract from the reading by stumbling.

[quote="RSD, post:15, topic:180775"]
Over the 30 years that I have been a lector, I have been taught proper pronunciations of difficult words many times. Each time, it is a different "proper" pronunciation. If it is a word that I have heard people in my parish use, I say it that way. Otherwise I just say it how I think it sounds, especially a word that does not really matter (the priest is not going to preach on exactly which town Paul went to). The most important thing is to say it firmly and smoothly, not to detract from the reading by stumbling.

[/quote]

I wish I didn't worry about whether or not I get the pronounciation perfectly.. it drives my husband nuts because he insists people aren't critically hanging onto every single word. ... like you, he insists if I read it with confidence, nobody will notice an occasional mispronounciation.

I'm a convert though so my fear is that I will mispronounce a word that is so clearly OBVIOUS to everyone but me. Like maybe every single Catholic but me knows how to correctly say Pisidia?

I agree with you 0217701 ~ prayer is key. I always ask God that everyone would not notice me at all.. just His words and when I do that, it takes the pressure off me and I'm not as freaked out that I'll trip on the way up or that I'll accidently say or do something embarassing...

I'm still a somewhat nervous lector though... It's not something I "enjoy." I wonder if other lectors "enjoy" their job? RSD .. do you really look forward to lectoring?

I totally look forward to it! In fact, to console myself that I couldn't go to midnight Mass this week, I signed up to proclaim the Isaiah passage at the earlier Mass :) I first got roped into lectoring probably the week after I was received into the Church. There was no regular person at a particular daily Mass, and so the deacon basically dropped it on me. A few weeks later, the annual Time and Talent survey went out, so I volunteered to be added to the weekend rotation. Unfortunately, we have no training, and there are a few people who do not read clearly, or who read with a strange rhythm, and I just have to offer it up.

[quote="EvelynEVF, post:17, topic:180775"]
I totally look forward to it! In fact, to console myself that I couldn't go to midnight Mass this week, I signed up to proclaim the Isaiah passage at the earlier Mass :) I first got roped into lectoring probably the week after I was received into the Church. There was no regular person at a particular daily Mass, and so the deacon basically dropped it on me. A few weeks later, the annual Time and Talent survey went out, so I volunteered to be added to the weekend rotation. Unfortunately, we have no training, and there are a few people who do not read clearly, or who read with a strange rhythm, and I just have to offer it up.

[/quote]

Wow! I can't imagine looking forward to it. When I see my name on the schedule I sort of get this feeling of uggggg. Which is silly because I'm trying not to brag here a good public speaker. I speak very loudly and clearly and after I've lectored I often have total strangers come up and tell me I did a good job. So what's the problem? I'm nervous. I don't enjoy it in the least... and I'm THRILLED when I'm finished. It's why I like to be lector #1 because I can listen to the homily and not be all worried about getting up there to do the prayers. So I wonder if I should just bow out - but I feel like speaking is truly a gift so it's it proper to use it in His service? Or maybe it's better to bow out because I can do other things that I'd actually enjoy and leave the lectoring to those who love it... ??

To Lector or Not to Lector.. that is the question. lol.

Well, my thought would be that if you're good at it, you ought to keep doing it, because the person they get to replace you might not be so good.

[quote="0217701, post:12, topic:180775"]
:tsktsk:Well I am not sure I share every ones seditment on this subject. For myself When I have a reading to do I spend time in prayer everyday and ask our lord to prepare the hearts of the assembly to receive his word and then I ask him to use me his humble servant and let his Holy Spirit to speak through me.
I read it over and over and over so I am familar with the passage and then I am in prayer again. as a Lector you are proclaiming the Holy Word of GOD to ppl some who never pen their Bible and other who do. any tim eI am unsure I visit severql Biblical website that will tell you how to prounce every word in the lector book.
I can always tell when someone has not even taken the time to even read through it one time. and it is very sad if you are not willing to take the time to get familar with your reading why do you want to read durning the mass?????
I would encourage everyone who is a lector no matter how great a reader or speaker to spend some time to familize your self with the passage you are fixing to read and also let GOD speak through you. :tsktsk:
To me being a lector is more of a calling in That GOD will call you to do this for hm not the other way around.
I would think in other Churches that there is some sort of training for the prospective lectors. Our Church does have training and there are always a lot of ppl who want to be lectors, but unfortuntaly they are not cut out for the Job And yes we give everyone the chance to be a lector, but if you can not do the required job which is to proclaim the Holy Word of GOD then you are not scheduled anymore. :shrug:
I guess what I am saying is that alot of ppl want to read but are not willing to put the time into reading and being a good lector. A nd then there are the ppl who just think they can read kinda like singing :shrug: Not know too many ppl who not able ot carry a tune that are asked to sing a solo in Church lol I have been really doing a lot of prayful reading and working on hte readings this past week only have 2 for new years and then the 2nd the next time i read so I have to read a whole lot for there are some ppl in our Church who do not like ppl who stumble over words or can not understand the lector who is reading. and yeas a lot of them are older ppl who may have a harder time following a reader who is not prepared.
Any way just my thoughts on how to be a better lector.:D

[/quote]

I don't think there was any need for a scolding. Nobody here said anything about taking this job lightly. I'm not a reader because I'm a cantor, and I can tell you I spend hours every week preparing not only the Psalm and Alleluia that I sing on my own, but every sing word and note I sing with the choir and congregation. Tomorrow we'll be singing almost all old familiar songs, but I still practiced the soprano and alto on each of them so I'd be ready no matter who was or wasn't there tomorrow. I expect most of readers and singers do something similar because we all recognize that we're there to assist in the celebration of the Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.