LED/Electronic votive candles

In the adoration chapel I usually visit ( I had not been there for about two weeks), I was surprised to see that they they replaced the votive candles with electronic or LED types.

My question is…are these on timers? (If you have them in your parish) And if they are, what is the usual run time?

These will probably be turned off overnight or reset, but what, during the day, when all are lit, if they will stay on all day, someone wanting to light one may have to wait to the next day to light one if these are not on timers

Since none of us know what type of LED/electric candle this is, and there are many different types available, I am not sure you will get too many answers.

This is a very good question to bring to someone in your parish office or to your priest.

Ask the priest. :thumbsup:

[quote="pablope, post:1, topic:315003"]
In the adoration chapel I usually visit ( I had not been there for about two weeks), I was surprised to see that they they replaced the votive candles with electronic or LED types.

My question is...are these on timers? (If you have them in your parish) And if they are, what is the usual run time?

These will probably be turned off overnight or reset, but what, during the day, when all are lit, if they will stay on all day, someone wanting to light one may have to wait to the next day to light one if these are not on timers

[/quote]

We have them and they are tacky, tacky, tacky. They cost one dollar. I don't know whether the plug is pulled on them each night or not. I think not, because we attend the first Mass on Sunday and are usually the first parishioners to arrive, and I notice that some of the candles are lit.

Best bet is to ask your pastor.

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:2, topic:315003"]
Since none of us know what type of LED/electric candle this is, and there are many different types available, I am not sure you will get too many answers.

This is a very good question to bring to someone in your parish office or to your priest.

[/quote]

Thanks, I did not know there were different types.

Unfortunately, this is not my home parish and only visit or attempt to visit during the lunch hour and do not have a lot of time.

If they have a website, maybe try calling or emailing them about your question.

[quote="Zekariya, post:6, topic:315003"]

[/quote]

Thanks, good idea.

[quote="Zekariya, post:6, topic:315003"]

[/quote]

Some parishes use electronic candles due to the age of their buildings and the absence of proper fire control measures.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:8, topic:315003"]
Some parishes use electronic candles due to the age of their buildings and the absence of proper fire control measures.

[/quote]

Not to mention insurance rates. ;)

What is the purpose of a votive candle? I understand the concept of heat and smoke raising prayers to heaven, is that the idea or is it something to do with the light? After six decades of being a Catholic I expect I should know this but I don't.

Whatever, using some cheapo electronic substitute for a real candle sounds very tacky. I'd rather kneel before the altar and offer real prayers or pray the rosary for my intentions.

Our priest said using these was not proper unless there was some significant reason (fire code etc). We had Mass on a cruise ship and they had the little electric candles but it was either that or nothing! I wonder if it's a fire code or something like that. Our candle over the tabernacle is always lit and is a regular beeswax candle made by one of our dedicated Parishioners!
Lisa

[quote="LisaA, post:11, topic:315003"]
Our priest said using these was not proper unless there was some significant reason (fire code etc). We had Mass on a cruise ship and they had the little electric candles but it was either that or nothing! I wonder if it's a fire code or something like that. Our candle over the tabernacle is always lit and is a regular beeswax candle made by one of our dedicated Parishioners!
Lisa

[/quote]

Our city has fire code that prohibits use of real votive candles in older churches where there is not adequate fire control.

We had them in our church. The ones we had you pushed down on and they lit. They were on timer.

Then we built a new church…with REAL candles. :slight_smile:

We have them for fire code reasons. Our company is called Shrine Design and they stay on for 4 hours. Any donation is suitable. Some give a penny, some a quarter, most a dollar, some more. We also have memorial candles that stay on all the time. The ones we have use an led light which is encased in real wax. We have had people try to light them with a match, unsuccessfully.

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:13, topic:315003"]
We had them in our church. The ones we had you pushed down on and they lit. They were on timer.

Then we built a new church......with REAL candles. :)

[/quote]

Yes...there is a button in front of each one.

I wonder how long is the timer set. There seem to be some sort of control system hidden within the set up.

[quote="Cathryn, post:14, topic:315003"]
We have them for fire code reasons. Our company is called Shrine Design and they stay on for 4 hours. Any donation is suitable. Some give a penny, some a quarter, most a dollar, some more. We also have memorial candles that stay on all the time. The ones we have use an led light which is encased in real wax. We have had people try to light them with a match, unsuccessfully.

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. Does your company have a website or I will google and is your company the only supplier :D

Now I know why they switched...fire code reasons.

The ones installed at this adoration chapel are in a semi or half circle...with 3 rows..each with a button and i did see at once the donation slot in the middle.

There were signs that said electronic to prevent adorers from trying to light them.:D

[quote="Bob_Aliano, post:10, topic:315003"]
What is the purpose of a votive candle? I understand the concept of heat and smoke raising prayers to heaven, is that the idea or is it something to do with the light? After six decades of being a Catholic I expect I should know this but I don't.

Whatever, using some cheapo electronic substitute for a real candle sounds very tacky. I'd rather kneel before the altar and offer real prayers or pray the rosary for my intentions.

[/quote]

I have an electric votive light at home on our family altar. It stays on constantly and is a reminder to us of the intercessions of the Blessed Mother and the saints for us as well as a reminder to pray.

We use an electric votive light because we have 11 cats and live in an old rental house with poor wiring. I don't think it's so bad, when I come home after a long day, I can see the light from our electric votive shining out our window as a witness to the neighborhood.

There might be a label attached somewhere underneath or behind with either the length of the timer or the company that you can look up online.

Here are some examples. Maybe yours is here: images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoVy6RR5RABQALv.JzbkF?ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701&p=electronic+votive+candles&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top&norw=1

Thanks, CF. That is my intention to do today…to look for that label. :smiley:

And thanks for the images. I looked up the website of Shrine Design…shrinedesign.com/id18.html

The ones in the adoration chapel look like the one on Photo Gallery 3, top left, semi-circle and three tiered rows.

I do not know who thought of the semi-circle type to the chapel, but looking at the other renditions, I think the rectangle design would have worked better for our chapel…but that is just me.:slight_smile:

[quote="pablope, post:19, topic:315003"]
Thanks, CF. That is my intention to do today...to look for that label. :D

And thanks for the images. I looked up the website of Shrine Design.....shrinedesign.com/id18.html

The ones in the adoration chapel look like the one on Photo Gallery 3, top left, semi-circle and three tiered rows.

I do not know who thought of the semi-circle type to the chapel, but looking at the other renditions, I think the rectangle design would have worked better for our chapel..but that is just me.:)

[/quote]

You're welcome. :) The ones we had were in the bottom left. At least they looked like that. I would imagine being in California they are very strict about the fire codes. I was a firefighter there for three years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.