Led Zeppelin Satanic?

A While back my sister started listening to Led Zeppelin and then my Mom talked to this guy that thinks they’re satanic( he has a lot of crazy conspiracy theorys) and she made my Sister stop listening to them cause of this. I understand that their guitarist bought a house from some satanist dude and they did backmasking but other bands did backmasking too like Nirvana and they weren’t satanic. You can listening to a lot of different stuff backwards you can here words but that doesn’t meen it was put there on purpous or even satanic. I’m interested in this band now but don’t want to listen to satanic stuffs so whats your take on it?

Led Zeppelin is not satanic. They are the subject of several urban legends such as the one above (why, I have no idea), but they are not satanic.

Very few bands are legitimately satanic. Any that are truly satanic are usually so obscure that 99% of the population has never heard of them anyway.

No. That’s an Urban Legend. I saw them in concert in 1973 when I just turned eighteen & I still listen to them today. Their music is not satanic.

I agree I see nothing satanic there. What they are is perhaps the greatest rock band in history. I am not certain you will see their like again.

Led Zeppelin is not satanic. Guitarist Jimmy Page was/is a follower of Aleister Crowley’s teachings and did buy his house. Aleister Crowley (whom many rock bands have written songs about including Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, and David Bowie) was a very different individual. Tabloid press falsely labled him “The Wickedest Man in the World.” I believe his reputation from the tabloids was misunderstood and people were misinformed.

Page is a well known collector of Crowley artifacts. Again, he bought Crowley’s house and supposedly used black magic there. However, I do not believe either Page or Crowley were “Devil worshippers”. Also, Led Zeppelin included other members of the band besides Jimmy Page. There is Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and the late John Bonham. None of these guys were satan worshippers to my knowledge.

ok cool. I just heard The Ocean last night, awesome song!

I will lay my cards up front. I at times thoroughly enjoy Zeppelin. When I was growing up as a teen I thought it was just long-haired rocker music that the guys in the smokers’ corner at my high school listened. More of the new wave thing back then for me. In my 20s, I surprisingly started enjoying their music. (Even modern-day Wolfmother sound like them). As I get older or more sombre, I’m not usually in the mood to get the Led Out as they say on one of my radio stations.

However, having said this: Aleister Crowley was self-described as the Beast, studied assiduously and practiced Satanism (seances, 666 stuff), and practiced the occult voraciously. This is not Christianity by any means - he attempted to put into practice its antithesis -whether through religious orgies or creating an extra-Masonic satanic lodge called the Order of the Golden Dawn with secret black occult ceremonies. It was this side of Crowley that fascinated Jimmy Page. Not just some funny-duddle tabloid rumours of his dalliances with harmless magick. No Crowley practiced the black occult fully in his life. A drug addict, a sexual beast he thought.

In one of Zep’s biographies Hammer of the Gods I believe, some parts of which may be apocryphal, Robert Plant I believe blamed Jimmy Page’s occult fascinations for the death of Plant’s son back in the seventies. There are even rumors to this day, unsubstantiated, that Plant doesn’t rush to tour with Page because he despises Page’s fixations on Crowley and the occult.

Now, has this stopped me from listenting to Zep. No. I mean the Beatles put Crowley on the cover of Sgt. Pepper’s. Does one stop listening to the Beatles then. I couldn’t (though, unlike Jimmy Page, the Beatles did not know much about Crowley either and put him up for shock value; the Beatles were into the whole transcendental meditation thing with Maharishi and love and peace). But Jimmy Page followed Crowley’s legacy religiously and the occult.

Does one member of a good band worshiping such a guy mean that the music is to be questioned too? Well, the answers above, and I guess my own suggest no.

However, I have never been able to shake why this fascination of some rockers with Satanism (not the puerile, adolescent “Spinal Tap” variety where it’s done for cool by all those MotorMaidenSabbathPriest groups but by people like Page or hard-core metalists from Scandinavia). Don’t want to sound a prude, but there is just that element in our modern culture, that element that somehow “hey, man that’s cool, all these occult and scary beliefs”. Now how one deals with it is another story. I guess Spinal Tap had a bit of the last laugh when they, after Led Zeppelin had used Stone Henge props in their sold-out concerts, Spinal Tap made brilliant fun of all this high-minded druid-occult significance by writing an ode to Stone Henge)

Anyway, just my two cents. (And I know people get very possessive of their groups, but just my thoughts.) If I’ve erred you guys will tell me. :thumbsup:

yeah I had read about that crowley dude and how bad he was and stuff but it’s not like their songs are gonna curse me or anything I mean I don’t want to mess with any devil worship **** but their music isn’t all necesserly influenced by this guy cause only page was into him not the other members.

Crowley was a sick individual. The Beast that he self-described himself was from what his mother called him. She would call him the Beast from Revelations. His mother and father were very strict, religious people and it is believed that Crowley did the things he did to rebel against them through the rest of his life. It turned out that Crowley was more an atheist than anything. Israel Regardie even said “Anyone who refers to Aleister Crowley as a Satanist ought to have his head examined.” He didn’t believe in our Christian God or Satan. Many of the the accusations of the satanic rituals performed at his Abbey of Thelema were proven that they didn’t happen. Again, he was a sick, perverted individual who performed black magic. I did read that Robert Plant did blame Jimmy Page’s obsession with black magic for the death of his son, but again, I wouldn’t call Page Satanic. Maybe a pagan, but not satanist. Anyhow, Led Zeppelin itself was not Satanic. They just had a very different individual as one of its members.

The Who would like to have a word with you…

They wrote a rock opera (modern music played operatically) called Tommy which was a concept no one had ever heard of. It was a huge hit. They then had the balls to do it again 4 years later, (Quadrophenia). That was a hit as well. To do something totally new and have it succeed is uncommon. To do it twice is truly phenominal, I think.

Not wanting to thread-jack, just my opinion.

By the way, even though Page was heavily influenced by Crowley, he didn’t write the words to the songs (Plant did). Page wrote the music. So unless there is a way to write a Satanic riff or solo, I doubt their work is influenced by things of that nature.

The greatest rock band in history? Pink Floyd owns Zep in every regard.

Pink Floyd = Greatest Rock* band of all time.

And I love Zep! Black Dog is an amazing tune!

*Jars of Clay is the greatest band ever :slight_smile:

BEATLES for sheer brilliance and versatility is tops. Plus the way Pink Floyd broke up and is still separated makes the Beatles’ breakup look like a small disagreement. IMHO, Floyd had Dark Side and Wish You Were Here and Echoes. Rest downhill. The Wall, apart from Gilmour’s 3 contributions, is simply Gilbert and Sullivan.:wink:

hah, pink floyd the greatest band of all time? I beg to differ. The Beatles of coarse cause of their sheer epicness

I know this won’t be popular, but, I say, you go, Mom! I admit I was never that into rock ( except for exceptions with Bruce Springsteen & a few others, I was mostly into that wasteland of 80’s pop stuff). Anyway, as a mom, I wouldn’t be comfortable with my kids listening to a band that had a member like Page. I appreciate that he didn’t write the songs & was a guitarist, but it still disturbs me.

From what KyvivAndrew & Lee M said, he was very obsessed with this Crowley dude. He practiced black magic & might have had something to do with the death of Plant’s son?!:eek: Parental red flags go up.

Whether they think they are worshipping satan or not, black magic & the occult are demonic, & I don’t want my kids anywhere near that.

mmm1

Please relax and do not deny your child the chance to listen to one of the greatest, if not the greatest, rock band in history. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools, including a jesuit college, went to the Vatican and study the Church all the time and actually do my best to live the Catholic faith. Heck I almost thought about being a priest. And I listen to Led Zepplin when I was younger and still today. Having said that, your kids will hear them as they are still played on the radio. In fact, I think I am going to go listen to ’ Good Times Bad Times’.:smiley:

Thanks, Worthy5, I took a deep breath & I know what you’re saying, but I had never heard that stuff about Jimmy Page & Crowley. I do take things having to do with the occult very seriously, & I just wanted to give WackBob a different, non-rock fan perspective. It’s easy for me to say I wouldn’t listen to it, because I’m not a fan.:blush: When I read about Robert Plant’s son I’m thankful my girls’ tastes currently tend to lean towards The Jonas Brothers & Taylor Swift…:o

I’ll keep it in perspective, though, & not ban iTunes from my house yet;)

I know I am going to be very unpopular in this forum, but yes, Led Zepplin was Satanic, and even the Beatles, who I always loved, and specifically, John Lennon, were motivated in many ways by Satanic influences. I just read a book on the possibility that John Lennon sold his soul to the devil, and the author makes many, many good arguments proving this. John Lennon was extremely anti-Christian.
Following is a quote about Led Zepplin:

Led Zeppelin is Satanic to the core. In the song “Houses of the Holy,” Robert Plant (lead singer) speaks of Satan’s daughter and making her garden grow (a sexual reference). The album cover displays naked women crawling towards the top of the temple. It’s sickening in the name of decency. Anyone who denies the occult inspiration of Led Zeppelin’s music is woefully deceived.

Led Zeppelin also introduced personal occult symbols on one of their albums. Guitarist Jimmy Page of Zeppelin is a devout follower of Satanist, Aleister Crowley, who proclaimed himself as “The Beast 666.” Aleister Crowley was also a 33rd and 97th Degree Freemason and is recognized as the master Satanist of the 20th century. In 1971, guitarist Jimmy Page bought Crowley’s Boleskine House on the shore of Loch Ness where Crowley practiced his Hellish, Satanic sex-magick rituals, including human sacrifices. Guitarist Jimmy Page actually performed Crowley magical rituals during their concerts. Their song “Stairway to Heaven” carries the reference “May Queen,” which is purported to be the name of a hideous poem by Crowley. In fact, Zed Zeppelin’s songs are saturated with Aleister Crowley’s Satanic doctrines…

The worship of Lucifer, in the form of Pan, was a theme through all of Aleister Crowley’s writings. Jimmy Page has always been an open student of Crowley the Black Magician, and Led Zeppelin was his band. Following the teachings of Crowley, Jimmy Page and company were successful in placing his doctrines in many of their songs, including “Ramble On,” “Black Dog,” “The Battle of Evermore,” “Stairway to Heaven,” “No Quarter,” “The Song Remains the Same,” “Kashmir,” “In The Light,” “Achilles Last Stand,” and “Nobody’s Fault But Mine,” just to name a few. Led Zeppelin even went so far as to command their fans to sell their souls to the Devil in their concert film, “The Song Remains the Same.”

Very interesting link:

jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Rock-n-Roll/led_zeppelin.htm

I can tell from what I’ve read here that most of you will not accept this because you love the music. But for your own sake, do some research, see what is really behind these bands. Investigate why there is so much tragedy associated with them, why do they all go into very hedonistic life styles, completely opposite of what our Lord preached. Please give it some thought before you pooh-pooh me.

Mary

Well I agree with the life style problem. Led Zep was know for heavy parties and I did not do a deep analysis of the meaning of their songs but I did know that mythology was an influence for them. I think I will take a closer look. But the point is I listen to the music and I am just fine thank you. Next up " Ramble On" :smiley:

Very disturbing & interesting link, Mary. Thanks for your perspective & info! Gotta go, guys, but thanks for an interesting discussion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.