Led zeppelin symbols

Hello everybody, this is the first time that i get to write in the forum.
Well, i love hearing to rock music since i was a kid and i want to make a tattoo with the 4 symbols of the Led Zeppelin band as a tribute to my favourite kind of music.
After some searching though, i found out that some believe that these symbols have to do with satanism, while others claim that it is just an urban legend.
I really don't want to go against my religion's teachings, so i ask for an answer : Do those symbols have anything to do with satanism, and is it ok for me to get them on to my body?

Thank you for your time, and may god be with you.

P.S this is a link for you to see the four led zeppelin symbols

google.gr/imgres?imgurl=http://bradrants.com/blog/uploaded/BradRants/Images/Misc/ZeppelinFourSymbols.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bradrants.com/blog/tag/led-zeppelin-experience/&usg=__qtL7oYRbUAEX7cPog-fU27K1xuc=&h=227&w=937&sz=28&hl=el&start=0&sig2=rBsb_Ins-vRBctLWAkbtCw&zoom=1&tbnid=jJSDga6CtoQWEM:&tbnh=50&tbnw=208&ei=jNg4TazuIIei8QPXr7CjCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dled%2Bzeppelin%2Bsymbols%26um%3D1%26hl%3Del%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D776%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=66&vpy=139&dur=361&hovh=108&hovw=447&tx=255&ty=64&oei=jNg4TazuIIei8QPXr7CjCA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version, ©2010)

28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

I'd say tattoo's are out.

Robert Plant adds “Each of us decided to go away and choose a metaphysical type of symbol which somehow represented each of us individually–be it a state of mind, an opinion, or something we felt strongly about, or whatever. Then we were to come back together and present our symbols.”

John Paul Jones’ symbol (circle over three interlocking ovals) was found in a book of runes and purportedly represents a person who is both confident and competent. It also mysteriously appears on the cover of a book about the Rosicrucians.

Bonham’s symbol (three interlocking circles) came from the same book, and Bonham just liked it (though Plant says the circles symbolize the man-woman-child trilogy). At a stop in Pittsburgh, the band noticed it was also the emblem of Ballantine beer. You be the judge.

Plant’s symbol (circle around a feather) features the feather of Ma’at, the Egyptian goddess of justice and fairness. It is also the emblem of a writer. Plant says the symbol he created was drawn from sacred symbols of the ancient Mu civilization, a fantastical place that supposedly existed until 14,000 years ago. The last remnants are said to be the primitive statues at Easter Island. Those who believe in Mu also believe in Lemuria, Atlantis and maybe even the Easter (Island) Bunny.

Page designed his own symbol (Zoso). Though it resembles the alchemical symbol for mercury, its meaning remains a mystery. The most recent fandom theory is that it symbolizes a near-death or Tantric sex experience to unify the worlds of the living and the dead, and thus to reveal the secrets of the universe. Page’s only public comment on his symbol came during a November 1994 appearance on “Denton” with Plant. At the end of their interview a member of the studio audience yelled “What’s your symbol mean, Jimmy?” After some confusion as to what was being yelled, understanding dawned on Page’s face and he replied simply “Frying tonight.”

inthelight.co.nz/ledzep/zososymbol.htm

I will admit that Led Zeppelin made some very good music, and I like much of it myself, however I would strongly recommend against tattoing their symbols onto yourself. The symbols themselves may not be explicitly satanic, however they are certainly non-Christian, and in tattooing them onto yourself you are making a life-long dedication of yourself to the band (at least), and also to the non-Christian associations of the symbols (potentially).

Apart from any problems with the symbols, it's like tattooing yourself with any other thing that you might feel strongly about, eg. the LA Lakers, or Oprah Winfrey, or fishing, or Monty Python, or whatever. However strongly you feel about your heroes, you should not be dedicating yourself to them in such a visible and permanent fashion. It also smacks of superstition - of hoping to derive some magic or power from the hero's tattoo.

Thanks for asking - that was very good for you to get a second opinion from other Catholics before going ahead with something you want to do. :thumbsup:

Welcome to CAF! :wave:

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another "Are tattoos sinful?" thread, but I just have to point out that it is not Catholic doctrine that tattoos are inherently sinful. They could be, but they are not necessarily so. Discernment is definitely required (and it probably wouldn't hurt to consult your priest about his thoughts).

That said, I agree with Edmundus that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get the Zeppelin symbols tattooed on your body regardless of their origin. Better to get a tattoo of the Sacred Heart or something. :)

I do have too say, though, that I know a lot of people who have tattoos, and I don't know anyone who did so for superstitious reasons to derive some sort of "magical power" from them. Most often, the reason is simply that it "looks cool".

[quote="Joe_5859, post:6, topic:226555"]
Welcome to CAF! :wave:

I do have too say, though, that I know a lot of people who have tattoos, and I don't know anyone who did so for superstitious reasons to derive some sort of "magical power" from them.

[/quote]

When I was involved in the occult, I had an Egyptian Ankh with angel wings tattooed on my ankle and a phoenix on my back. Unfortunately I did get those tattooed for the power they supposedly represented, eternal life, protection, rebirth, fire, etc. After coming back to the Church, I realized that I could put a Catholic spin on what the tattoos mean, the Ankh- Eternal life, the wings- my guardian angel or Michael the Archangel. The phoenix- in some medieval symbology the phoenix has been used to represent Christ because of the resurrection aspect.

But in my personal opinion, pick sacred Catholic symbols or scriptures instead of something that may be demonic, we never know what we open ourselves up to when we either unknowingly or knowingly flirt with the Enemy.

[quote="mountaintop, post:2, topic:226555"]
Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version, ©2010)

28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

I'd say tattoo's are out.

[/quote]

If you are going to use Leviticus in this fashion then one of the problems that will arise in justifying doing so is that anyone can in turn ask which parts of Leviticus you do not follow and which parts Catholics should follow as it is full of numerous commands that people do not adhere to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.