Left-handed Popes

Since statistics show that only 10 percent of all people is left-handed, :thumbsup: I was wondering, if there has ever been left-handed Popes?

Just wondering :rolleyes:

Alma

They were probably forced to write right-handed when they were young.....:(

about 10% of the popes have been lefties

Any name?:shrug:

That is a very interesting question! As a lefty myself, I always notice another left hander and there is a larger number of left handed American presidents compared to the number of left handers in the population, so it would be interesting if the same prevalence of left handedness happened with Popes. :thumbsup: But it is true that sometimes it's hard to tell because of some being forced to write right handed as kids. :( I'm interested in all things referring to left handedness. :)

Top 10 Lefties

In the past hundred years, the U.S. presidency has veered more and more to the left — not in policy, but in handedness. Barack Obama is the latest to join a long list of left-handed presidents from the 20th century: James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Henry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton were all southpaws.

What makes lefties so electable? Some experts think left-handed people have a greater aptitude for language skills, which may help them craft the rhetoric necessary for political office. And as for the bout of recent left-handed presidents, some think it's because teachers only recently stopped working to convert lefties to righties at an early age.

Top 10 Lefties

Barack Obama
Bill Gates
Oprah Winfrey
Babe Ruth
Napoleon Bonaparte
Leonardo da Vinci
Marie Curie
Aristotle
Ned Flanders
Jimi Hendrix

There also seems to be a lot of left handed actors and stars compared to the ratio of the number of left handers in the population. I think it's all interesting. :)

[quote="Skye_Ariel, post:5, topic:329861"]
That is a very interesting question! As a lefty myself, I always notice another left hander and there is a larger number of left handed American presidents compared to the number of left handers in the population, so it would be interesting if the same prevalence of left handedness happened with Popes. :thumbsup: But it is true that sometimes it's hard to tell because of some being forced to write right handed as kids. :( I'm interested in all things referring to left handedness. :)

Top 10 Lefties

In the past hundred years, the U.S. presidency has veered more and more to the left — not in policy, but in handedness. Barack Obama is the latest to join a long list of left-handed presidents from the 20th century: James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Henry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton were all southpaws.

What makes lefties so electable? Some experts think left-handed people have a greater aptitude for language skills, which may help them craft the rhetoric necessary for political office. And as for the bout of recent left-handed presidents, some think it's because teachers only recently stopped working to convert lefties to righties at an early age

There also seems to be a lot of left handed actors and stars compared to the ratio of the number of left handers in the population. I think it's all interesting. :)

[/quote]

I'll second that!
Both my grandmothers were lefties, forced to convert to righties. My husband was a leftie. I am ambidextrous, mostly lefty (my adult son was shocked to "discover" recently that I write right handedly), and my eldest daughter is also a lefty. Both uncles, by marriage, were lefties.

I'm always surprised to see righties in my family!! :thumbsup: (even this icon is a lefty)

I tried to google it but could find no info on handedness of Popes. :(:shrug:

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:6, topic:329861"]
I'll second that!
Both my grandmothers were lefties, forced to convert to righties. My husband was a leftie. I am ambidextrous, mostly lefty (my adult son was shocked to "discover" recently that I write right handedly), and my eldest daughter is also a lefty. Both uncles, by marriage, were lefties.

I'm always surprised to see righties in my family!! :thumbsup: (even this icon is a lefty)

[/quote]

Yes I love that left handed smily! :D:thumbsup: Yup, left handedness runs in my family too, I have about 3 uncles, 1 aunt, and 2 or 3 nieces and a nephew that are left handed. :)

10 Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's slave and cut off his right ear. The slave's name was Malchus

John 18:10

Either St Peter was left-handed, or he struck Malchus from behind. I prefer to believe that he was left-handed.

There has never been a known southpaw in my family until my daughter was born, and she immediately started sucking her left thumb. Many children start out ambidextrous, then start preferring what will be their dominant hand, mostly the right, but she preferred the left from the beginning. I never even considered switching her. Both of her children are right-handed. But they all like to talk and are extremely verbal, so I don't know about that theory.

[quote="Joe_Kelley, post:9, topic:329861"]

Either St Peter was left-handed, or he struck Malchus from behind. I prefer to believe that he was left-handed.

[/quote]

Cool I never noticed that! Yes I like to think he was left handed too! :thumbsup:

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:10, topic:329861"]
There has never been a known southpaw in my family until my daughter was born, and she immediately started sucking her left thumb. Many children start out ambidextrous, then start preferring what will be their dominant hand, mostly the right, but she preferred the left from the beginning. I never even considered switching her. Both of her children are right-handed. But they all like to talk and are extremely verbal, so I don't know about that theory.

[/quote]

Good I'm glad you didn't try to switch her. :) Yeah I sucked my left thumb from birth too. :) They don't try to force lefties to be right handed anymore because they found out now that switching left handers and making them write right handed can cause stuttering and other things because handedness is how the brain is wired and switching it messes with the whole wiring.

[/quote]

Great insight!!

I never thought about it but you are right! (no pun intended, ha ha).

Imagine that, Peter the first Pope was probably a lefty! Cool! :thumbsup:

Have you seen any pictures of recent Popes writing with their left hand?

Alma

I find this conversation to be very sinister.

[quote="PacoG, post:13, topic:329861"]

[/quote]

I was wondering what the point was myself.

-Tim-

[/quote]

Joe;

Why can't a right-handed person with a sword in their right hand cut off the right ear of someone facing them?

What if Malchus was looking to his left? The right side of his face would have been exposed.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:15, topic:329861"]
Joe;

Why can't a right-handed person with a sword in their right hand cut off the right ear of someone facing them?

What if Malchus was looking to his left? The right side of his face would have been exposed.

-Tim-

[/quote]

In that case a right handed stroke would have slashed the right side of his face; not just the ear. The sword blow had to go between the head and the ear.

[quote="PacoG, post:13, topic:329861"]

[/quote]

Really? :rolleyes: As someone who is left-handed I get excited when I meet someone who is also left-handed. We kind of automatically have a bond. lol. I have alway been picked on for being left-handed. I was told I was wrong handed all my life, that I am going to die sooner because I am left-handed. Being told that all my life upset me. I played softball growing and I was told many times that I throw with the wrong hand. Now, you come on here and say that it is sinister to wonder how many popes have been left-handed. You are being no better than all of those mean right-handed people who has picked on us lefties our whole lives.

I think the poster was making a joke. In Latin, “sinister” means “left”, and “dexter” means “on the right”. Since this is a Catholic forum, some posters are adept at Latin. If one never took Latin, though, it is understandable that they would only know the meaning of sinister as it is used today, and feel offended.

I don’t know for absolutely certain, but as I said, I believe this was an attempt at some levity and the poster did not have ill intentions.

It is a thread about the “left”, or “sinister”.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:18, topic:329861"]
I think the poster was making a joke. In Latin, "sinister" means "left", and "dexter" means "on the right". Since this is a Catholic forum, some posters are adept at Latin. If one never took Latin, though, it is understandable that they would only know the meaning of sinister as it is used today, and feel offended.

I don't know for absolutely certain, but as I said, I believe this was an attempt at some levity and the poster did not have ill intentions.

It is a thread about the "left", or "sinister".

[/quote]

A dexterous interpretation. ;)

[/quote]

Very nice observation! I am impressed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.