Legacy and history of Ishmael

From Holy Scripture, Ishmael was the son of Abraham and Hagar. But Abraham and Sara had Isaac as the “son of promise” in a legitimate marriage. This is the actual division in the Israelites and Arabs.
Did not Ishmael go his own way and stay in the land where they would worship the moon god Sin? Of course we all know the story that Muhammad came along and corrected this into monotheism and Allah.
Here, we have a bad guy in the Bible who didn’t worship God. Would not the Arabs think he was bad also since he was a pagan?

You would think, but the Muslims believe the Jews corrupted the OT and that Ishmael was the one in which Abraham’s covenant with God would come through. This boils down to a he said, he said argument. However, the Jews and Christians have plenty of historical documents that confirm the account that is given in the OT and the Muslims have nothing but what Mohammed told them. They can not produce a single document or writing that says that Ishmael was the son in which the covenant would come through. All they have is a false accusation and no evidence.

The Muslims’ entire faith stands on top of a straw floor that is hollow underneath.

They also fail to see the foreshadowing of the “son of promise”. When God told Abraham to sacrifice his son, then pulled him back. The most important " son of promise" would be Jesus ,who would be sacrificed for all. For all sin.

Whenever I think of Ishmael, i also think of God’s statement to Hagar, “He shall be a wild donkey of a man, with his hand against everyone, and everyone’s hand against him; and he shall live at odds with all his kin.” (Genesis 16:11-12)

Whether we’re talking about Arab tribal feuding and allegiances (which is still an important part of Arab culture if my understanding is correct), or the violent rise of Islam with its Arab origins, or the violence being perpetrated by Moslems today, even against their own, this phrase comes to mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.