legalizing marijuana

In Co. marijuana became legal. So does that still make it a sin to smoke it? Would it still be a drug? If it was treated like cigarettes?

My thought on this subject is when it is no longer a sin to get drunk then it will no longer be a sin to get high and since I have never met anyone who didn’t consume marijuana for the purpose of getting high I would stay away from the stuff. Sure, there are people who say they use it for medical purposes, but now many ingrown toenails can a person actually have in their lifetime?

There are reasons God does not want us to allow ourselves to be put in a state we have little control over ourselves or what happens to us. I also have heard people say they can get high and still do things. I have met many a functioning alcoholic as well, so that type of statement doesn’t hold much water with me.

Additionally, the DEA still has this as a scheduled drug so it is still a violation of the law to consume, possess or distribute marijuana.

Leave that stuff alone.

It’s still illegal federally. Personally though I find it hard for things that are illegal civilly to necessarily mean they are sinful. The government has it wrong on so many issues; look at how they’ve decided they have the power to “redefine” marriage for example. As for whether marijuana is sinful or not, I suppose it’s all up to what it does for the specific person using it and in turn what that person does with themselves in life.

Comparing it to alcohol is strange in my mind; it’s a completely different thing. But like alcohol I it may be possible it can be used without being abused. Also worth noting is there is a process to making alcohol whereas marijauana is literally a naturally growing weed. Did God create it for any other reason than to be smoked?

States are considering legalizing recreational drugs for one reason, to make money. This is simply evil and we should reject those politicians just as we reject the street drug dealer.

Alcohol alters the mind after just a few sips. Why would that be denied? Of course you can drink until you are no longer in control. The use of “weed” has helped many alcoholics who have become functioning members of society. Being able to eat and keep it down has become possible for chemo patients after smoking weed. I do not think we can " rubber stamp" weed as an evil.

The over use of anything is harmful, and in most cases sinful.

Is there a particular part of my post you are refuting or is this a generalized response of your opinion to mine?:confused:

Hmmm, good question. I believe it is the comparison of alcohol to marijuana. If a person is inclined to use either marijuana is the safer of the two. For many reasons. IMHO

We are made in the image and likeness of God. In the divine image we were made.

Now, we are temples of the Holy Spirit. We are not to abuse our bodies in any way.

If Christ lived today, do you think he, or the Blessed Virgin Mary, or the saints would have used marijuana?

Just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s moral. If prostitution were suddenly legalized across the US, the Church’s position on it wouldn’t change.

Marijuana is mind altering. It also alters the minds of those it comes into contact with. I’ve had neighbors who smoked marijuana, and it’s affected me!

I think the Church considers marijuana is a sin, whether it’s legal or not, with the possible exception of, say, someone with cancer using it, medicinally.

I see. Thank you for answering.:slight_smile:

Altering consciousness for recreational purposes, should not be done, whether it’s marijuana or alcohol.

Being focused in the now where God wants us is our goal and mind altering drugs will prohibit that from happening.

Jim

St Thomas Aquinas’ teaching on drunkenness in his Summa would be a good standard for anything recreational and mind-altering:

I answer that, The sin of drunkenness, as stated in the foregoing Article, consists in the immoderate use and concupiscence of wine. Now this may happen to a man in three ways. First, so that he knows not the drink to be immoderate and intoxicating: and then drunkenness may be without sin, as stated above (Article 1). Secondly, so that he perceives the drink to be immoderate, but without knowing it to be intoxicating, and then drunkenness may involve a venial sin. Thirdly, it may happen that a man is well aware that the drink is immoderate and intoxicating, and yet he would rather be drunk than abstain from drink. Such a man is a drunkard properly speaking, because morals take their species not from things that occur accidentally and beside the intention, but from that which is directly intended. On this way drunkenness is a mortal sin, because then a man willingly and knowingly deprives himself of the use of reason, whereby he performs virtuous deeds and avoids sin, and thus he sins mortally by running the risk of falling into sin. For Ambrose says (De Patriarch. [De Abraham i.]): “We learn that we should shun drunkenness, which prevents us from avoiding grievous sins. For the things we avoid when sober, we unknowingly commit through drunkenness.” Therefore drunkenness, properly speaking, is a mortal sin.

Source: newadvent.org/summa/3150.htm

I think it’d be a sin whether or not it was legal, both to use it and to sell.

See the Catechism of the Catholic Church’s position on this.

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life**. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense.** Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

Well, marijuana can cause such things as psychotic episodes, and it’s addictive. So, unless it’s used with the possible exception of medicinal purposes, i.e. cancer, I think it’d be sinful.

Years ago I used it, and even then there were medical claims being made for marijuana. I tried it on several occasions for nausea and it had no effect other than to leave me stomach sick and high at the same time. I tried it once for pain and could think of nothing but the pain while I was high on it. It’s garbage as far as “medicine” is concerned, IMO.

Agree.:thumbsup:

Well Im divided on this since marijuana has medicinal qualities such as the oil can help with certain cancers and illnesses as far as smoking it I dont agree smoking it will get you high and thats about it

Now the people who consume it by eating it or capsules or the oil from what I read dont get the stupid high feelings, just a calm and are able to eat easier or they get the healing effects

So its two sided its a sin to recreationally use it but not to use it medicinally?

In my opinion medicinal is fine in cases of cancers and chronic illness

recreational such as smoking is a sin since your doing it soley to get high

Oh yes they do get high from hashoil and it lasts as much as 8 hours if they eat it.

wow didnt know that!:eek:

But I still think medicanl marijuana is okay I mean people get high off pain killing opiates doctors prescribe which are much more dangerous and mind altering.

As long as its controlled and the patients carefully screened and the pros and cons weighed for the patient I think its permissable

Personally I see nothing wrong with the usage of medical marijuana but I do not think it is right to smoke marijuana for recreational purposes. That said, I would only support medical usage of marijuana in instances where a doctor as either prescribed or recommended its usage for a serious medical condition and only when other treatment options have failed. That said, if what I have said here is in contradiction to the orthodox teaching of the Catholic Church then I hope someone will correct me. As far as I am aware, what I’ve said is orthodox.

Well we find that the so called “doctors” in States that legalized marijuana for medical reasons only dole out prescriptions to just about anyone who wants it. It is treated like a panacea, and given for whatever symptom a patient has, both emotional and physical. For a physician to prescribe that a patient ingest smoke in any way is ludicrous and antithetical to healthcare.

Think about this in regard to all the so called “studies” that cite marijuana health benefits. Who would participate in such a study? Drug users of course. Now wouldn’t a pot smoker be very likely to want legalization? They are going to know that reporting medical benefits paves the way to legalization, so they have an incentive to game the data. Studies that involve self reporting are questionable. Where is the direct biological evidence that marijuana helps heal any disease?

Yeah I completely understand your concerns and everything and I do believe that there needs to be independent studies done and they need to be done in such a way that they can’t be tampered with. I also believe there needs to be strict regulations and such for doctors who would prescribe medical marijuana.

That said, would it be unorthodox or orthodox to be for medical marijuana legalization?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.