Legend or Myth?

My dear friends, bothers and sisters in Christ

How did Yahweh Firgive sins in the Old Testament times?

Compared to How Does Christ Do this in New Testament times?

Are either "Legend" or "Myth" invoved in either or both?

What do YOU think:shrug:

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:312741"]

[/quote]

Through offerings at the Temple I think. Don't the Jews still have some kind of day of atonement for sins?

[quote="Bella92, post:2, topic:312741"]
Through offerings at the Temple I think. Don't the Jews still have some kind of day of atonement for sins?

[/quote]

Here's a link for you:

straightdope.com/columns/read/2091/why-do-jews-no-longer-sacrifice-animals

[quote="Bella92, post:2, topic:312741"]

[/quote]

Yom Kippur

=Bella92;10287708]Through offerings at the Temple I think. Don't the Jews still have some kind of day of atonement for sins?

Yep, there still on "Old Testament time.":)

Pray that they find a "new watch":thumbsup:

God Bless,
pat/PJM

[/quote]

The same way as today. Through faith in Christ. In the OT the types and shadows pointed to the redeemer. We have the full revelation.

[/quote]

In Lev. 5:5-6 it says, "When a man is guilty in any of these, he shall confess the sin he has committed, and he shall bring his guilt offering to the Lord for the sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a goat, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin."

Job 42:

7 After the LORD had said these things to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has. 8 So now take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and sacrifice a burnt offering for yourselves. My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer and not deal with you according to your folly. You have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has.” 9 So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite did what the LORD told them; and the LORD accepted Job’s prayer.

Another one: 2Sam 12
13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.”

Nathan replied, “The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for[a] the LORD, the son born to you will die.”

1sam 15:

24 Then Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned. I violated the Lord’s command and your instructions. I was afraid of the men and so I gave in to them. 25 Now I beg you, forgive my sin and come back with me, so that I may worship the Lord.”

[quote="Gaelic_Bard, post:6, topic:312741"]
The same way as today. Through faith in Christ. In the OT the types and shadows pointed to the redeemer. We have the full revelation.

[/quote]

Could you explain what you mean by...."Through faith in Christ"? There is no repentance, no asking for forgiveness?

And which or what are those OT types that pointed to the redeemer?

Example...from Job 42....Job 42:

7 After the LORD had said these things to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has. 8 So now take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and sacrifice a burnt offering for yourselves. My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer and not deal with you according to your folly. You have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has.” 9 So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite did what the LORD told them; and the LORD accepted Job’s prayer.

How does this point to Christ?

It is by grace that we repent and ask for forgiveness. Only the blood of Christ can take away sin. The blood of bulls and goats could never atone for sin, as the writer to the Hebrews says.

And which or what are those OT types that pointed to the redeemer?

Example…from Job 42…Job 42:

How does this point to Christ?

It points to Christ in two ways. First by animal sacrifices. Second by showing thaf a mediator is necessary between man and God.

=Gaelic Bard;10290198]The same way as today. Through faith in Christ. In the OT the types and shadows pointed to the redeemer. We have the full revelation.

Why then my friend:

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

Are these just to be ignored?

God Bless and thanks for posting.

pat/PJM

[quote="PJM, post:10, topic:312741"]
Why then my friend:

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

Are these just to be ignored?

God Bless and thanks for posting.

pat/PJM

[/quote]

Ignored, no. Put in their proper context, yes.

If justification were through the law then Christ died for no purpose.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.

=Gaelic Bard;10290413]Ignored, no. Put in their proper context, yes.

If justification were through the law then Christ died for no purpose.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.

OK:)
So would you do me the favor to actually "put them into context" for us?:thumbsup:

God Bless you.
pat/PJM

[quote="PJM, post:12, topic:312741"]
OK:)
So would you do me the favor to actually "put them into context" for us?:thumbsup:

God Bless you.
pat/PJM

[/quote]

PJM,, sure. The law of Christ is love. We repent and ask for forgiveness because we see our sin and are humbled by it. We ask our High Priest to forgive us because we know He interceeds for us with the Father. In love we do the same for our Christian brethren. All out oflove, motivated by the grace of our crucified Lord.

=Gaelic Bard;10290477]PJM,, sure. The law of Christ is love. We repent and ask for forgiveness because we see our sin and are humbled by it. We ask our High Priest to forgive us because we know He interceeds for us with the Father. In love we do the same for our Christian brethren. All out oflove, motivated by the grace of our crucified Lord.

IF my dear friend you were older than the Catholic Church; you MIGHT be correct? That and some pro-forma actions was sufficient in the Old Testament and under the Old Covenant.

However in the New Testament; which
Fullfills
Completes
AND Perfects the Old ways; it is fatally [spiritually] incorrect error with consequences.:o

Read each of the following in the sequence provided; taking note that EACH of them is a private conversation; a directive to be completed by the Apostles alone as direct by Christ personally, and an actual transfure of Godly Powers and authority to the Apostles alone from whom the CC inherits the "key's to heaven" and the necesary powers of binding and loosing.

PLEASE do yourself this spiritual good thing and actually look them up and read them. This site will make the task simple for you. http://www.drbo.org/
Mt. 10:1-8

Mt. 16: 15-19

Mt 18:18 now extened to all of the Apostles

Jn.14: 16-17

Jn. 20:21-22

Jn. 17:15-19

Mt. 28:16-20

And Succession is MANDATED [emphasis not shouting:)] in Mk. 16:14-16 & Mt. 28:19-20 by now commanding the Mission be expanded to the "entire world."

Please note that those in RED also include the transfure of Christ Own Pwers as God on to the Apostles.

My friend; what the CC teaches is EXACTLY what God Himself demands.

Romans 13: 1-4 “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."

Acts.20: 28 “Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God [SINGULAR] which he obtained with the blood of his own Son.”

One who professes to Believe in God MUST do so in accordiance to ALL [not just what appeals to you] in Gods Inspired WORDS 2 Tim.3:16-17

“Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is tested; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Add nothing to his words, lest he reprimand you, and you be proved a liar.

Mark 7:13 “Making void the word of God by your own tradition, which you have given forth. And many other such like things you do.”

Luke 4:4 “And Jesus answered him: It is written, that Man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word of God.”

Luke 11:28 “But he said: Yea rather, blessed are they who hear the word of God, and keep it”

God Bless and guide you my friend,
pat/PJM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.