Legion of Mary

Is anyone a member of the Legion of Mary? Is there a praesidium in your parish and/or diocese? Can you share your experiences?

Thanks!

I was with the Legion of Mary for about six months several years ago. They are an excellent group, I left for reasons of other priorities I had committed to.

My diocese has several parishes that have the Legion of Mary.
They are committed to daily prayer and one meeting per week, during which they receive an assignment to go to with another members, such as a nursing home, visiting the homebound, or other activities. The assignment lasts for two hours per week.

Perhaps there are some long-term Legion of Mary members here who can share more.

our parish has LOM group, it is 5 people, they are not really encouraging new members, which seems odd since according to the website they referred me too, the organization was founded with evangelization as its purpose. They meet once a week to pray the rosary, and visit the nursing home once a week to lead the rosary with residents. I am sure they have personal prayer commitments as well. they also lead the rosary after daily Mass, and once a week during Lent and Advent in the evening. They will not, however, make themselves available to lead rosaries at the funeral homes. Neither will members of the Altar and Rosary Society. Each of the LOM members is also active in some other parish ministry, lector, usher, St. Vincent etc.

At our parish, St. Williams in Round Rock (near Austin), there are two groups of Legion of Mary: one is for adult (Spanish group) and other for young adult (English), we are trying to form another English group adult.

I am currently member of the young adult - we meet once a week at our parish to pray the rosary, and visit nursing home. We also go to families to pray the rosary with them on request.

Praying the rosary together at a church is a wonderful thing

Hi Perky,
We have a very active Legion of Mary praesidium here where I live. We conduct Enthronement of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary in people’s homes, take the Pilgrim Virgin out to people’s homes, have Auxiliary Luncheons once a year, conduct “book Barrow”–in our case, we set up a booth at a fair and passed out literature and sacramentals and answered questions; we also formed a Rosary Rally in the public square, one of our members conducts CCD classes; we go to nursing homes, regular homes, and wherever we are asked to go by our priest; we pass out communion to shut ins; go to hospitals, and door-to-door looking for fallen away Catholics. Our group is very strong–12 active members with 80 or more Auxiliaries. We also participated in a Stewardship fair at our church and recruited members there. Good luck to you. I can assure you that you will not regret joining.

I was in one for several years. And its main goal is the growth of each member in the love of Jesus. Even tho it is required of each that they do 2 hours of some type of charity work, that really isn’t the central point, but rather is seen as a part of the growth in that love of Jesus, to go out to Jesus seen in others. It is a spiritual way of life for the members who are incouraged, elevated, and instructed by their fellow members.

The types of work they do are the spiritual works of mercy rather than the corporal works of mercy as in St. Vincent de Paul. These two groups compliment one another. The Legion member is never asked to give food, shelter, money, clothing, etc. They are concerning mainly with the spiritual wellbeing of those they help.

In some parishes the legion is set up to help the priest in finding those catholics in his parish who are not going to church, or those who are sick and not receiving the sacraments. This is discovered in various ways and passed on to the priest. In other cases, people are found to be in need of food or rent money, in which case this info is passed on to those at St. Vincent de Paul. The shutins especially are languishing for someone to come and visit with them for a short while, they see so few outsiders. Some members go to the prisons and visit or teach, but are prepared to do this before they are sent. No member is required to do anything they feel they are not ready to do. A few of the members teach in the parish and those who are well enough instructed in the faith will even go to individual homes and give catechetical instructions.

Each week the assignments of work to each member is assigned or continued. There are certain prayers said together as well as spiritual reading. The priest may or may not be there for the weekly meeting depending on his schedule and commitments. If he is present, he will usually give a brief talk or some encouraging thoughts.

If the group is run by the book, it is a wonderful group to be in. From my own personal experience, God wasn’t outdone when it came to kindness for that group.

A group can be started in any parish. The approval of the priest is needed as well as a Legion book which is easy to follow. Just read the book how to conduct a Legion meeting and you too can begin one in your own parish. It can be as small as three members. If you are looking to share your faith with others, here is a good way to do it. There may be some groups already setup in your diocese, and if so, contact them and they will assist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.