Length of time living a chaste life

How long should someone who has thought about the priesthood live a chaste life before they actually consider it seriously? By that I mean, if a man has only gone maximum 1 month without committing a sexual mortal sin, should he first practice living a chaste single life for a couple of months or even years, and then pursue the calling? I only ask this because it would seem improbable that someone could get admitted to a seminary if the director asked the young man, how long have you been living chaste? And he says something like 6-7 weeks. I apologize being so candid.

How long should someone who has thought about the priesthood live a chaste life before they actually consider it seriously? By that I mean, if a man has only gone maximum 1 month without committing a sexual mortal sin, should he first practice living a chaste single life for a couple of months or even years, and then pursue the calling? I only ask this because it would seem improbable that someone could get admitted to a seminary if the director asked the young man, how long have you been living chaste? And he says something like 6-7 weeks. I apologize being so candid.

Bring this up with your Vocations director. I am certain they will appreciate the honesty; but to be fully honest it may be unlikely that after 6-7 weeks you could be admitted to the seminary. However; you could start contemplating your calling the minute after you have been to confession -- even if that was only five minutes after you were in a state of mortal sin!!!

You need to look up what is meant by “a chaste life”, because we are all supposed to live a chaste life regardless of what vocation we are called to.

chaste single life = celibacy............right?

[quote="notredame_999, post:4, topic:209944"]
chaste single life = celibacy............right?

[/quote]

Chaste life = celibacy for a single person.

Married people are chaste within the marriage.

Will the head of the seminary allow time for a pregnancy test before admitting someone with only a month of chastity behind him? I would hope so.

A chaste life is living the state of life one is in correctly. For a single person that is no sex, for a married person that is sex only with their spouse.

Celibacy is not marrying.

Technically chastity and celibacy are two different things.

I do not think this is a question to bring up with a vocations director. This is more of a question that needs to be raised with ones spiritual director as I think the answer will vary with different people.

Excellent advice as I was just about to say SD not VD (no pun intended). During your application process (if you live in the US), you’ll be asked to do a series of psychological evaluations (Meyer-Briggs, face to face, and other things), along with an interview with your respective bishop, chancellor, or some other high ranking clergy. During one of these meetings you will be asked about your sexual history. If your superiors feel you are not yet ready they will tell you so. It’s out of your hands so don’t worry too much about it.
What’s most important is whether or not you know you are ready. A spiritual director can most definitely help you with this issue. He/she (although I would recommend a contemplative monk in your case) could help you find ways to strengthen your moral reserve and help you live a chaste life.
Evagarius (I don’t know if I’m spelling his name correctly), Augustin, and many, many Desert Fathers lived past lifes that are not something to be proud of, but they’re all (or most) in heaven now! Some of them (like Augustin), needed a kick in the butt sometimes to get their act together, and a SD can definitely do that.
Anyway, best of luck to you.

Chastity does not equal celibacy.

Chastity is for everyone

Celibacy is for some (the priests and single life)

While they are both similar and entice the same thing for certain stages of peoples lives, they are not synonyms and cannot be used interchangeably.

I love speaking about chastity though. Its my favorite subject.

I always get so annoyed when I see religious things that say "Stay pure(or chaste) *until *marriage"

It is probably just as hard living chaste as a married man then a non married man!

I'm not gonna get into that on this page unless someone asks me to

Thank you &

God Bless :)

[quote="RHannosh619, post:9, topic:209944"]
I love speaking about chastity though. Its my favorite subject.

I always get so annoyed when I see religious things that say "Stay pure(or chaste) *until *marriage"

It is probably just as hard living chaste as a married man then a non married man!

I'm not gonna get into that on this page unless someone asks me to

Thank you &

God Bless :)

[/quote]

You must also stay chaste in marriage.

Chastity is not just for the unmarried.

yup yup! That is why I said I get annoyed when I see "Stay pure until marriage"

I see it a lot with purity rings.

I wear a purity ring but it doesn't say a thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.