Lent...First Day?

Hey everybody,

Here’s a quick, non controversial question. When is the first day of the 40 day Lent fast :confused:

I want to be specific. In other words, please don’t tell me something like: it’s 40 days befor Easter, or it’s the sunday before Ash wednesday…etc…etc.

I’m wondering what is the exact day and date.

I’m gonna give up booze and tabacco for Lent :o

How bout y’all???

peace and love from Longhorn country :thumbsup:

The first day of Lent is Ash Wednesday, this year March 1, 2006, according to the Latin Rite, AKA Roman Catholics along with Eastern Catholics such as Maronites.

Ash Wednesday is a day of both FAST and abstinence. All Fridays during Lent are days of abstinence (unless your particular bishop says otherwise). GOOD Friday is another day of both FAST and abstinence. During the period from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday, Catholics typically also, in a spirit of penitence, “give up” something they like, like candy, (except onSundays, which are NEVER fast or penitence days; all Sundays are considered “little Easters”); or else they ADD something extra, like saying the rosary daily.

Some people do more; the Orthodox I believe have a more stringent fast involving much more fasting and abstinence from more than just meat. And many Catholics fast or abstain (or both) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and/or Saturdays in addition to the Fridays. . .especially if they belong to a third order, secular institute, or other lay group.

God bless you in your loving penance this Lent!

[quote=se~orcampana]Hey everybody,

Here’s a quick, non controversial question. When is the first day of the 40 day Lent fast :confused:

I want to be specific. In other words, please don’t tell me something like: it’s 40 days befor Easter, or it’s the sunday before Ash wednesday…etc…etc.

I’m wondering what is the exact day and date.

I’m gonna give up booze and tabacco for Lent :o

How bout y’all???

peace and love from Longhorn country :thumbsup:
[/quote]

God bless you for your lent intention. It will be easier to just give
it up on Sundays too. Think of the poor who don’t have the
choice to give up alcohol or tobacco, they must be grateful to
have clean water. What can they give up for lent?

[quote=Tantum ergo]The first day of Lent is Ash Wednesday, this year March 1, 2006, according to the Latin Rite, AKA Roman Catholics along with Eastern Catholics such as Maronites.
[/quote]

Just a minor correction (my realtives are Maronites and I suppose according to canon law I am too even though I think of myself as RC) - the Maronites actually start Lent on what they call ‘Ash Monday’ (2 days before we do).

Yep, it all gets started on Ash Wednesday. That is why people celebrate Marti Gras-- It means Fat Tuesday and the idea is you have a big feast before you start the 40 days of sacrifice.

Quick question - do we have to keep up the fast (of whatever form it’s taking) on the Sundays of Lent?

Including the Sundays Lent would be 46 days.

That’s not a trying to avoid days of fasting question, I’m just wondering what the official rules are.

as the first answer said, we do not fast or abstain on Sundays of Lent, as Jesus said, we do not fast when the Bridegroom is present.

[quote=Tantum ergo]The first day of Lent is Ash Wednesday, this year March 1, 2006, according to the Latin Rite, AKA Roman Catholics along with Eastern Catholics such as Maronites.

Ash Wednesday is a day of both FAST and abstinence. All Fridays during Lent are days of abstinence (unless your particular bishop says otherwise). GOOD Friday is another day of both FAST and abstinence. During the period from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday, Catholics typically also, in a spirit of penitence, “give up” something they like, like candy, (except onSundays, which are NEVER fast or penitence days; all Sundays are considered “little Easters”); or else they ADD something extra, like saying the rosary daily.

Some people do more; the Orthodox I believe have a more stringent fast involving much more fasting and abstinence from more than just meat. And many Catholics fast or abstain (or both) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and/or Saturdays in addition to the Fridays. . .especially if they belong to a third order, secular institute, or other lay group.

God bless you in your loving penance this Lent!
[/quote]

For some “Eastern Catholics such as Maronites” Lent begins on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.