Lent & Parties

Need clarification on an issue please…

My parish has a couple social activities this Lent. Is it wrong to have a huge gala on a Saturday night during Lent? (Auction/fundraiser) Also they have a St Patrick’s party scheduled for this Saturday night. We were asked if we were going but I said I didn’t feel like it was a good idea to party. Is there an allowance for parties after 5 pm on Saturdays during Lent? I don’t think we are going anyway, I was just curious. Thanks for any insight.

Colleen

Cant be of much help to you, I honestly am not sure what the “rules” or norms are for celebrations during lent. But if your priest agreed to it, I would think he knows what is okay to go through with.

It just so happens next weekend I am having my baby shower on a sunday. I do not feel at all awkward about having that party during lent.

If it does not interfere with or compromise your personal devotions, penance, or other things of that nature then it is probably okay.

Note: strictly my opinion - I could be wrong.

Thank you for your response. I know Sundays are allowed since they are not “counted” for the 40 days of Lent, but I was wondering if there was a vigil sort of thing. Congrats on your little one on the way and have a wonderful time at your shower. :slight_smile:

Colleen, I really respect your desire to please the LoRD. i think its a sure sign of you being in the grace of God .

But try not to overburden yourself

Remember the important thing is to Love God and People, By faith in Christ upholding the Commandments interior and exterior.

Christ went to Parties , It was Joy for him to be around others let it be for you as well, espically a Party of Chrisitians,

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.