Lent recpies.

This is my first lent cooking. I converted last year and hubby was deployed. I didn’t cook very much. lol

Is it ok to cook with bouillon/broth? Also, what are some of your favorite recipes?

americancatholic.org/features/lent/lentrules.aspx
"Abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, milk products or condiments made of animal fat.

Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consomme, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are not forbidden. So it is permissible to use margarine and lard. Even bacon drippings which contain little bits of meat may be poured over lettuce as seasoning."

Easiest Lent recipes:

tuna casserole, fried salmon patties, meatless chili with beans, vegetarian spaghetti sauce, grilled cheese sandwiches.

I like vegetarian chili. I kind of just make it, but basically it’s like this:

• one pepper (green, red, yellow… whatever suits your fancy)
  • one onion
  • 3 12 oz cans of beans
  • 1 24 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • cumin and chili pepper power to taste (or a pack of “chili mix”)

(I forgot a pepper for my recipe on Wednesday and I substituted Southwestern salsa for the onion and pepper–the fresh stuff you buy in the produce section–which worked out great!)

Stir fry the pepper and onion in a little oil, add the rest and cook for about an hour. That’s it. You can serve it with tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado… another to dress it up. It’s very filling and if you make enough (double recipe or so) you can freeze it for next Friday.

I would add the endless variety of Quiches…you can use ham or bacon in them if it’s not a Friday :wink:

They are easy to prepare, and easy to re-heat. A good snack in the evening too, as they are light.

Peace,
pianist

That sounds yummy! I’m definitely going to try this out.

Ramen… it is also cheap.

1 packet of ramen
1 egg
1/2 cup frozen pea and carrot mix

Make up the noodles in one pot of water and the broth in another. Poach the egg in the broth once the egg is almost cooked (about 3 min) add the frozen peas and carrots. Cook another 2 minutes. Drain the noodles, once soft, and add them to the bowl. Pour the broth mixture over the noodles.

I’m making macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight.

I keep forgetting that you don’t have to have fish, just can’t have meat. lol.

We try to avoid bacon flavorings, meat broths, and meat gravies as an additional sacrifice, but note that it’s not required. :slight_smile:

In addition to the above suggestions, we also make:
cheese pizza or veggie pizza
cheese pastas (mac and cheese, fettucini alfredo with no meat, cheese-stuffed manicotti, etc.)
breakfast foods for lunch or dinner, such as eggs, pancakes, bagels & cream cheese, cereal, oatmeal, etc.
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
fried rice with veggies and maybe an egg
stir-fried veggies with noodles (also sometimes add shrimp)
rice and beans
baked beans (no bacon or pork bits), mac & cheese, and deviled eggs

And, of course, just about any seafood (we don’t make lobster or crab, as eating those doesn’t “feel” very sacrificial to us, lol).

When I get tired of fish sticks and batter-dipped fillets, the kids like this:

Salsa Baked Fish
1-2 (depending on size) boneless fish fillets per person
salt and pepper, optional
1-2 Tbsp salsa per fillet, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350*F. Place each serving of fish on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil; lightly season fish with salt and pepper if desired. Pour 1-2 Tbsp of salsa over each fillet; fold foil sheets around fish into sealed packets. Place packets on a cookie sheet, jelly roll pan, or pizza pan with sides to prevent any leaks from spilling into oven. Bake for 20-30 min (depending on thickness and type of fish, it may take longer), or until fish is done and flakes easily. Serve with additional salsa, sour cream, and shredded cheese if desired.

Enjoy!

You can also try some Lent recipes here from different places around the world:

crsricebowl.org/recipe-archive/

I have some go-to regulars, also!

Crazy Delicious Broccoli Fritters
3 cups of broccoli, steamed and chopped
1/3 c flour
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
1 egg
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Steam your broccoli, and give it a good choppity chop. These are technical terms. Then, put it in a bowl. Add the rest of your ingredients and stir. It will seem dry at first, but as you mix it all together it WILL form a batter. Spoon out into a hot pan or griddle that is coated with olive oil. I spread the batter out a little with my spoon to make them about as wide as a hockey puck, and maybe 1/2 inch thick. Cook until golden brown over medium high heat, flipping after about 3 minutes. When done, put on a paper towel to remove any excess olive oil. These are crunchy, they’re salty, they’re yummy, and they’re great in all sorts of ways. You can dip them in yogurt sauce, or you can serve a fried egg on top, of you can dip them in marinara or serve with spaghetti or… you get the idea.

Linguine w/Clam Sauce

2T Olive Oil
2T Butter
1handful Chopped Parsley
1 – 2 cloves Garlic, Minced or Mashed
1Can Diced Tomatoes
1/4t Salt
1/8t Black Pepper
Few Drops Liquid Hot Pepper Seasoning (Louisiana Hot Sauce)
1/4t Oregano Leaves
1Can Minced Clams

Heat olive oil and butter in frying pan. Add parsley and garlic and cook on medium heat for 1 –2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook 5 – 10 minutes.

Cook linguine per package directions. After draining linguine, spread fresh grated asiago or parmesan cheese over linguine. Pour above mixture over linguine. Serve.

Mexican-Style Shrimp

16 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved, plus 4 cloves minced
¼ c olive oil
16 extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper

1 ½ t grated lime zest from 2 limes
3 T fresh lime juice from 2 limes
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro

Heat halved garlic and oil in small saucepan over medium high heat until bubbles begin to form. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is softened, 12-15 minutes. Strain garlic, reserving oil. Use side of chef’s knife to mash garlic into fine paste. Garlic paste and oil can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day.

Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat reserved garlic oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook shrimp, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to plate and tent with foil.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add lime juice to empty skillet and whisk in butter and garlic paste until smooth. Add cooked shrimp, minced garlic, lime zest, jalapenos, and cilantro to pan and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

Not really a recipe, but my kids love it:

Tomato soup with Noodles (I use the organic type of soup)

-Cook noodles then add to soup. Top with parmesan cheese.

Tuna Melts
-Grilled cheese sandwiches with tuna salad put inside before serving.

Cheese Ravioli Casserole

-Layer frozen cheese ravioli in baking dish, cover with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers of ravioli, sauce, and cheese.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.

:popcorn:This doesn’t imply to use popcorn for a meal.

Where I live pierogis are often used.

Also cabbage and noodles. Just melt butter in a pan and saute in some cabbage until soft , add already prepared noodles (a nice heavy one like kluski) warm them together and add salt and pepper.

We are having biscuits and scrambled eggs tonight . Check out the vegetarian cookbook section at your local library .

This isn’t a recipe but do you like veggie burgers? You don’t have to have them on a hamburger bun, it can be pita bread or as you ‘meat’ with a couple of side dishes- veggies, mac and cheese or a salad. My favorite is Boca but there are other brands as well.

Personally I dislike the Boca fake burgers (by the way, that doesn’t mean they are “Bad” I just don’t care for them–so they are worth a try)… but your post reminded me of the Boca fake chicken patties. I love those. I make my own spaghetti sauce (my mom’s recipe–which is full of veggies, not just plan red sauce) and serve it over cooked pasta and one of those fake chicken patties. It’s really good–put some cheese over the patty and it’s really, really good.

Now I am regretting cheese pizza for tonight :frowning: But my daughter is having a friend sleep over and I want to have kid friendly food.

Y’all are wonderful. Thanks!

We just call them Friday meals because as faithful Catholics we know that we are asked to make fridays penitential and this is the easiest way to do it. Go meatless on fridays year round.

Shrimp pesto. I use the packets of pesto sauce and some noodles.
Salmon
Tilapia, fried

Grilled Cheese sandwich
Tomato Soup

Fish and Chips

Meatless lasagna

Cheese enchiladas

Potato soup and rosemary bread (my favorite)

And finally the mother of all meatless meals

Cioppino.

It is a fish and seafood stew/soup that sounds odd but is AMAZING. Google the recipes and whatever portion of sherry or wine they want you to add, halve it at least.

Remember though lent should be lite. Don’t make the most extravagant meal like lobster or the like. Don’t go overboard on expensive salmon. Keep it PBJ simple.

Hey there is another one, PBJ.:smiley:

I gave up dairy for lent (cheese, eggs etc) I still will have bread and other things that are made with egg but not explicit dairy products. Vegan recipes are much appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.