Lent recpies.

I found a site via Pinterest with vegan recipes for Lent but can’t find it again. It had a few weeks of menus. Try googling Orthodox, Lent, recipes. If I find it again I’ll post it.

My chili recipe is vegan as long as you leave off extras like cheese or sour cream.

Another vegan recipe I like is just bean burritos. Leave off the cheese and have beans, rice, salsa, avocado, corn… whatever you like. Again, very filling.

Another vegan recipe I like is peanut noodle salad:

8 oz of angle hair pasta (whole wheat is what I use)
1/2 cup of peanut butter (I think it tastes best with natural peanut butter… the stuff that separates and that’s just peanuts and salt on the ingredients–no sugar or anything else)
1/4 cup soy sauce
Red pepper flakes to taste ( about a teaspoon, less if you don’t like spicy… and I’ve left this out before when my daughter was younger)
2 green onions
2-3 carrots shredded or chopped
Handful of peanuts (give or take)

Cook the pasta and take off 5 tablespoons of hot water. Mix the the peanut butter, soy sauce, pepper flakes, and water into a sauce. Add pasta and mix. Then add everything else.

You can eat it hot or cold (it’s great cold the next day).

For Lenten breakfasts

Steel cut oatmeal cooked with coconut milk and some thawed frozen mango chunks or fresh mango chunks for topping. Optional is a sprinkling of brown sugar.

For lunch or supper

Vegetarian corn chowder

Ahh…pierogis…lots of good memories. :slight_smile: There is actually a Ukranian Orthodox church in my parents’ neighborhood (suburb of Cleveland) that sells pierogis every Friday (even Fridays outside of lent).

Not so common here in Brooklyn, though there is one Polish restaurant and deli that sells them.

Matzoh ball soup! It’s delish.

You can cook with chicken broth and add some carrots and parsley.

Here is a quick recipe for matzoh balls: kraftrecipes.com/recipes/quick-easy-matzo-balls-53234.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.