Lent Vegetarians - Recipes

Any other meat abstainers out there - for the whole 40 days? For some reason I like doing this.

It's been tough transitioning to a vegetarian kitchen. All the recipes I've been making have 10+ ingredients and so many steps. But they've tasted pretty good!

Do you have some favorite vegetarian dishes?

Ooh, yes! This is super simple, and tasty.

Tomato Mozzarella Caprezzi

Slice 2 Roma (these seem appropriate for Catholic:p) tomatoes and lay out on plate. Slice soft mozzarella into corresponding chunks and place on tomato slices. Drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil and 1tbsp balsamic vinegar. Add basil and black pepper to taste. I eat this much by myself, so you can just fix as many plates as you need. It takes less than five minutes.

You can serve it with bread, too, if people are hungrier–the leftover liquid on the plate is great for dipping.

Yep. I got a some really good ones, that aren't nearly as much trouble as what you described.

First is my vegetarian chili. This is too easy to even call a recipe. You cut up an onion and saute it in olive oil spray and a dab of actual olive oil. Now, you drain and rinse 3 cans of what ever beans you like. I don't like the goo on the beans, and I rinse the salt off. You can eat the goo if you like it. Dump them all into the pot along with one 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes and a package of chili seasoning. Ta da. 15 minutes chile, and it's surprisingly good. You can do your whole chili seasoning thing if you like, but I'm happy with mild Durkee's or McCormick's chili seasoning.

Now this is something I found on the internet. You cook a package of ravioli or tortellini, cheese of course, and drain it. In the meantime, brown 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or margarine or 1 tablespoone of olive oil PER SERVING, along with some fresh sage. One of those big old leaves is enough. The sage is ready when it starts to get a little crispy looking, sort of like flash fried spinach. Dump it all together. You can add parm at the table, or you can saute some mushrooms and garlic too, but however you make it, it's a lovely easy surprise meal. Even my son the chef, who hasn't liked anything I cooked since he was 13, likes this.

Another thing I do with ravs and torts is boil them along with a bag of Normandy Blend frozen vegetables. This bag usually has orange and yellow carrots, mushrooms, onions, squash, cauliflower and broccoli (which I could live without) and I get it at WalMart or Sam's. A huge bag is about $7 and you get a lot of meals out of it. I just boil them in one pot with the pasta, drain the whole works, add a T of olive oil per serving, some garlic and a little milk or fat free half and half, and parm. I think of it as a pseudo-fredo sauce. A drained and rinsed can of white beans is a nice addition to this.

I stated out making pasta and beans a long time ago when I was really broke and going to Weight Watchers. It was the end of the pay period and I just didn't have any cash. I had some shell noodles in the cabinet, a can of kidney beans and a package of frozen spinach. I boiled the spinach and a serving of shells (the box said how much that was) together, measured 2 ounces of beans and put the rest away and of course I drained and rinsed. When it was all done, I added a tablespoon of parm which was about 30 calories of the 500 a week you got back then, and a serving of diet margarine. I was home alone, you can tell. It wasn't quite right so I tossed in a couple ounces of skim milk, and sprinkled in a little garlic powder, and it was close enough to Alfredo sauce that I was happy. Ignorance can be bliss, and I didn't know Alfredo was something complicated. This became one of the things people asked me to bring to pot lucks and parties. I started playing around with vegetables, and I've always like beans, so there you go. I moved on to chopped broccoli after the spinach and although I don't much like broc, I like it better than spinach. I can't imagine why I had spinach in the first place.

Finally, you can make some vegetable soup. Just dig out whatever vegetables you find in the refrigerator. I use onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery, carrots and especially zuchinni and yellow squash with really give it nice taste. I usually use a can or two of vegetable broth, the low sodium if I can find it, but vegetable broth is hard to find on it's own around here, and some water. I don't like tomatoes in my soup, but you can surely add those or tomato sauce. I'm not a red sauce fan. Cook until the veggies are about done, add some kind of carb like rice or noodles or quick barley, and a good old can of drained and rinsed beans. We're big soup fans at my house, and I make this probably two or three times each month.

You probably want to use salt and I don't add it to anything. My only salt indulgence is on french fries and I seldom have those. I do use pepper and this stuff I got at Ben Franklin called Soul Food Seasoning. It has salt and pepper, garlic powder, paprika and some other stuff. One big jar of it was a buck, and it lasts a very long time.

That’s lovely stuff. I make a tomato and cucumber salad like this, using Walden Farms balsamic vinaigrette. It has no fat, sugar, calorie or carbs (I’m diabetic) and this is free food for me. I can just chow down on it. My DIL love the tomato/mozzarella stuff. It may be her favorite thing.

I’m a vegetarian all the time and I love this salad, although I use fresh mozzarella and cut it into slices to lay it on the tomatoes with a leaf of basil over each one. I’ve also made it into a hot sandwich by laying it out on bread and sticking it into a panini-maker. It comes out really yummy.

Also if you’re looking for good vegetarian recipes I’d try looking at animal rights groups websites. I realize most of them are pretty extreme groups, but they do try to make vegetarian and vegan eating a lot less painful. PETA, for example, has their own vegetarian cooking website [vegcooking.com/?c=vc_enews](“http://www.vegcooking.com/? c=vc_enews”) (I think it’s mostly vegan but you can always substitute real dairy back in for a richer taste) which has a lot of tasty recipes.

For something easy make tacos or bean burritos, you can either cook your own beans in a crock pot or buy refried beans and packaged taco seasoning. Cut up tomatoes, onions, avocado… Whatever you want to put in. Then everyone can pick their own ingredients and make personalized tacos or burritos.

Ooh, great thread idea :slight_smile:
I go by “Friday rules”, meaning things like chicken broth and tiny little bits of meat like in cream of chicken soup are ok, which makes it a lot easier on the rest of my family, who aren’t giving up meat. Like tonight for dinner, my mom made chicken enchiladas and just set a portion aside with out chicken in it, but still had cream of chicken soup as an ingredient. This way we can still have dinner as a family most nights but I’m still sacrificing.

Some of my favorite recipes are really simple:

Sweet Potatoes: I’ll microwave a sweet potato and add a little butter, but it can also be dressed up with brown sugar, cinnamon, or “Thanksgiving delux”: Brown sugar, marshmallows and pecans. To be honest, the last one does NOT feel like a sacrifice :smiley:

I also like to do rice stir fries (or the best home-taught approximation). My favorite is simply diced onions fried until they are just soft in butter with garlic, mixed with white rice. I usually use that as a base for all of my stir fries, and add on from there with maybe scrambled egg, peas (or green beans when I’m out of peas), sun dried tomatoes, really anything you have on hand that looks like it might taste good works. You can also use different sauces like soy sauce or for a creamier, more filling alternative, a white sauce (1tbs butter, 1 tbs flour, 1/2c milk, salt + pepper to taste).

Does anyone have some easy sandwich ideas that I could take to school? I’m getting awfully tired of PB&J. :shrug:

thin sliced apples and sliced havarti cheese on a sturdy bread like rye or pumpernickel

we used to take PB, lettuce and mayo on white, sure gags me now to think of it

tuna salad on a croissant

dipper–cottage cheese with veggies and fruit slices to dip

whole wheat wrap spread with hummus, chopped red bell pepper, thin sliced cucumber, baby spinach leaves, feta cheese sprinkles, sliced black olives, wrap up in a tube.

mini bagel with chive cream cheese and sliced hard boiled egg

Red Lentil Soup - most appropriate for Lent!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped,
2 carrots, chopped
1 lb red lentils (Masoor Dal), rinsed
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1 15-oz can of crushed tomatoes (optional)
Juice of 1 lemon.

sautee up the onion, celery, carrots in the olive oil. Add the lentils at stir for another minute. Add the spices and sautee for another minute. Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes, until the lentils cook up to a paste. Add the tomatoes and lemon juice. Puree if you like, to a smooth consistency. Serve with whole wheat pita.

Without the cinnamon and tomatoes it’s a more typical Mid-eastern (e.g. Lebanese) lentil soup. The cinnamon and tomatoes add a little something extra, maybe a bit more of a North African flavor.

Your favorite chili recipe.

Substitute black beans for the meat.

Eat.

How about egg salad?

Or boiled egg gravy on toast?

I had a fish taco that was really good; made w/ fish sticks. I think the secret is the good corn/tomato salsa served w/. Lime juice is required too. I purchased some fish sticks @ Trader Joe’s w/ plans to try this in my kitchen.

my kids actually liked this and it is very pretty baked in a glass casserole dish. simply layer cooked yellow squash, cooked drained spinach, and any stuffing mix (made with a vegetable broth if you don’t want to use chicken), dot with butter and bake (grease the dish well first). If you bake the acorn or butternut squash and keep the halves unbroken you can layer in the shells for a pretty presentation.

another layered dish that is pretty is a layer of sliced carrots, mashed potatoes, and creamed peas (which you can cover with bread crumbs if you wish)

in both of these everything is already cooked and just has to heat through and brown a bit on top.

we also used to make “chicken” pot pie, actually mixed veggies in gravy or white sauce, with a can of drained white cannelini beans instead of chicken (add more salt and seasoning than you would normally use, beans soak it up). top with scoops of mashed potatoes or biscuit mix and bake until brown

I actually made a fried tofu sammie this morning… Just slice the tofu…thinwise?.. then fry in sesame or peanut oil (to give it a bit more flavor) and make the sammie with mayo, pepper, cheese, etc. It was WAY better than I thought it was going to be and you can get three sammies out of one block of tofu.

But Im somewhat odd in that I LOVE tofu. So take that with a grain of salt. .

FSC

Peanut butter with apple, or pear or bannana on a whole wheat bagel or graham crackers is a sandwich I really like. Any combination of those items would work for me. I used to make a lettuce, tomato and cucumber sandwich on pita bread, with mayonaisse. I like the regular white pita better than the whole wheat. I wish they'd make it in rye or pumpernickle. I love pumpernickle.

just saw this in clean living magazine, I did it the regular way but they used a sandwich or panini grill. DD makes grilled cheese sandwiches on regular bread in the quesadilla maker
cheese and thin sliced tart apples on a hearty bread like rye or sour dough

I used havarti and granny smith apple and a regular fry pan, with butter on the bread, fabulous.

I made a great soup today, can of select harvest low sodium french onion soup, can of water, one envelope low sodium beef boullion, and a can of pumpkin (plain, not pie filling) heated on low-med to just simmering, classic presentation is with a dollop of sour cream but I used Greek yogurt. I had two bowls, with some left for work tomorrow, had a salad with it of fresh mozarrella, tomatoes and pesto, so plenty of protein. I hate pumkin pie but this was nothing like it savory not sweet

Hash is another dish my kids would eat, half a bag of hash brown or home fry potatoes (the little cubes) diced red and green bell pepper and onion, veggie crumbles from Morningstar or Boca. saute the veggies until soft, in 2 T oil, add the potatoes with 1/4 c. water, which speeds cooking and helps browning w/o too much oil, you can thaw the crumbles in the microwave, or add them directly to the potatoes and cook until they are heated through. pre-thawing makes the hash less mushy.

serve with a poached or fried egg for extra protein, my kids liked canned peaches with it, DH prefers applesauce–cut out the veggies for those who don’t like them.

Great thread with some great ideas! I gave up meat for lent. And so far it’s going well, though eating out can be a real challenge.
I love veggie burgers, and don’t see why you couldn’t pack one for lunch and eat cold or heat up in a microwave.
Actually it’s going so well that I am going to consider either going without meat period, or at least cutting my meat consumption WAY down!

I just made this dish tonight for the first time, and it is definitely on my "gonna have it a LOT" list.

1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
4 large tomatoes, sliced thin
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil (I used roasted garlic infused oil)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 medium purple eggplant, sliced very thin
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray an 8x8 baking dish ((a cake pan or small lasagna pan works well) with non-stick spray (omit if the dish is already non-stick)
In a sauté pan, heat the oil then add the onion and garlic. Sauté until soft. Add sliced tomatoes and herbs, continue to sauté until tomatoes are heated through and soft.
Transfer 1/2 the onion and tomato mix to the baking dish.
Put a layer of eggplant and 1/2 the cheese on top.
Put the rest of the tomato mix on the eggplant, put another layer of eggplant on, then top with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes.

This recipe can be easily modified to add more eggplant, tomatoes, onions, herbs, whatever you like. Just be sure if you use more veggies to use a bigger baking dish.

Another Tofu Sammich idea!:)

Take an average size container of Firm Tofu.
Squeeze the water out. It will seem sort like a sponge.Put it in a mixing bowl.Crumble it up with a fork. I use vegannaise, but you could use mayonnaise, if you like. Mix it up like an egg salad sandwich and put whatever you normally put in it. Or, use a chicken seasoning and make it like a chicken salad sandwich.:thumbsup:

Oh. And compare the nutritional value, too. It's really very good and better for you than meat. So, it won't seem like your sacrificing much.

Mujadarrah Lebanese dish
1 1/3 c lentils
3/4 c rice

2-3 onions (or more)

place lentils + salt in large sauce pan w/ enough water to cover. Simmer 20 min. Add the rice and more water to cover rice/lentils. Simmer additional 20 min til rice and lentils are soft.

In the meantime chop/slice onions and saute in olive oil til carmalized or lightly browned. Toss cooked onions w/ lentils/rice mixture. Serve w/ yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt)
The original recipe calls for less onion but the carm. onions make the dish!!

Homemade split pea soup (with a little grated romano cheese on top) with homemade whole wheat crust vegetarian pizza (with a little exta sharp provelone in the mozarella). It doesn't get any better than that....

I’m doing semi-vegetarian for Lent and having some meat at my mum and dad’s. I don’t like quorn and prefer vegetables you can see. I’m doing a polenta bake tomorrow with sliced polenta, tomato sauce with roasted garlic and topped with mozzarella cheese served with salad and garlic bread.

This is also tasty: tortilla wraps stuffed with refried beans and topped with spicy tomato salsa and cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.